2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 8 speed transmission FUBARED

Blondie7038

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Anyone else have a brand new 2020 Jeep Wrangler out of commission? Less than 2500 kms and the 8- speed transmission is fried. It’s been over month now. I purchased my third Jeep Wrangler at the end of March. My first payment came out and the next day she wouldn’t drive. I took it to the nearest dealership waited approx 4 hours. Went to the service counter and asked if I should wait any longer. They advised me that the transmission was fubared and they would be sending me an Enterprise rental. ... yep a stinky minivan! Enterprise had me put down a deposit. I had to sign wavers saying I was responsible for roadside, scratches and cracks as I refused to pay any extra insurance after finding out I actually had to pay more for my personal insurance to drive a rental “fleet” vehicle. I left the dealership feeling defeated and frustrated. So two days pass and I call the dealership to see what’s up. Ohhh, more great news. The new transmission will be in sometime in August... might be lucky to have her back on the road in September. So the whole summer with a shitty rental and paying for NEW wrangler. After purchasing a brand new one. I am so distraught I email Jeep Canada as the dealership tells me I should. Says maybe they can compensate you some how. So I start by email. 8 days later I still haven’t heard a word. So I call. Tell my story and the guy explains I have a case manager and she should have contacted me, ... NOPE! Spoke with her and she tells me over and over and over that I have a warranty. I GET THAT! BUT I can’t help my overwhelming frustration!?! Am I wrong!?!? You buy a toaster and if it doesn’t toast bread you get a new one? Some sort of compensation? There has to be a nice demo vehicle I can drive for the rest of the summer!? Hell Cat!?!? Might take my mind off the loss? THOUGHTS????
Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Check your local lemon laws. A new car dead for many weeks is a lemon. You could at least tell them you will be proceeding with a lemon law claim as soon as you are legally entitled to unless they provide you with a like loaner in the meantime.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear your story. Especially with a brand-spanking new Jeep.

FWIW: the 8-speed automatic has proved pretty durable over the years. But I agree: you spend a boatload of money on a brand-new vehicle...and you can’t even drive the thing.

Unfortunately, the initial response from FCA is always to refuse, deny and delay. That’s why they sit the the bottom of the customer service rankings, year in and year out.

As the saying goes: the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I’d keep bugging them, without losing your composure, to at least get you something comparable to what you bought.

It’d definitely help if you knew someone inside or higher up at FCA with pull. Escalating things always helps, especially at ass-backwards FCA.

Years ago I had a long list of issues with a brand-new Chrysler 300S. I got the direct email address of Doug Betts, then VP of Quality at Chrysler. I sent him a well-written letter detailing my issues with the car, my long history as a loyal Chrysler customer, and expressing my disappointment with this car. He promptly acknowledged receipt of my letter, kindly apologized for my experience, and forwarded my email to a small group —aptly called Executive Referrals— that worked in parallel with the customer care team but handled cases coming from executives. I was given the white glove treatment. Six weeks later, they offered me a buyout and/or transfer to a brand-new FCA vehicle. It helped a lot that I trusted my dealer at the time, we stayed in good terms throughout, and our stories backed each other.

Hope you get things resolved. Keep us posted.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blondie7038

Blondie7038

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Sorry to hear your story. Especially with a brand-spanking new Jeep.

FWIW: the 8-speed automatic has proved pretty durable over the years. But I agree: you spend a boatload of money on a brand-new vehicle...and you can’t even drive the thing.

Unfortunately, the initial response from FCA is always to refuse, deny and delay. That’s why they sit the the bottom of the customer service rankings, year in and year out.

As the saying goes: the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I’d keep bugging them, without losing your composure, to at least get you something comparable to what you bought.

It’d definitely help if you knew someone inside or higher up at FCA with pull. Escalating things always helps, especially at ass-backwards FCA.

Years ago I had a long list of issues with a brand-new Chrysler 300S. I got the direct email address of Doug Betts, then VP of Quality at Chrysler. I sent him a well-written letter detailing my issues with the car, my long history as a loyal Chrysler customer, and expressing my disappointment with this car. He kindly replied with an apology and forwarded my email to a small group —aptly called Executive Referrals— that worked in parallel with the customer care team but handled cases coming from executives. I was given the white glove treatment. Six weeks later, they offered me a buyout and/or transfer to a brand-new FCA vehicle. It helped a lot that I trusted my dealer at the time, we stayed in good terms throughout, and our stories backed each other.

Hope you get things resolved. Keep us posted.

Good luck.
WOW! Thank you!!! Happy to hear they actually did something for you!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
WOW! Thank you!!! Happy to hear they actually did something for you!
You bet.

Admittedly this happened in 2012. Back then FCA still operated more like Chrysler and less like Fiat, and Doug Betts was still employed there. But I would think that Chrysler Canada has someone in a position of power that can help your case.

Bonne chance!

Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
When mine took forever being repaired I started in an Enterprise Rental, but at least at my dealership they said FCA would only do two weeks in Rental. Then a Dealership loaner as we called it "The Barbie Jeep" white two door sport with highway tires. But it was better than the Rental lol Wife stuck in our pasture

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 8 speed transmission FUBARED jeepstuck

OP
OP
Blondie7038

Blondie7038

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
When mine took forever being repaired I started in an Enterprise Rental, but at least at my dealership they said FCA would only do two weeks in Rental. Then a Dealership loaner as we called it "The Barbie Jeep" white two door sport with highway tires. But it was better than the Rental lol Wife stuck in our pasture

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 8 speed transmission FUBARED jeepstuck
THAT' S GREAT!!!

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Willys
My transmission just went kaput too. 2020 JLU 8 speed auto with 5100 miles, pretty frustrating to say the least especially for the price you pay for these Jeeps now. Dealership said it was a valve body that has to be replaced and the part is on backorder they have no idea when it will come in!! Really hoping to not end up with a minivan rental :facepalm:

OP
OP
Blondie7038

Blondie7038

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
My transmission just went kaput too. 2020 JLU 8 speed auto with 5100 miles, pretty frustrating to say the least especially for the price you pay for these Jeeps now. Dealership said it was a valve body that has to be replaced and the part is on backorder they have no idea when it will come in!! Really hoping to not end up with a minivan rental :facepalm:
I just got mine back three days ago... transmission still doesn’t feel great and now the radio system is fried!!! Back at the dealership tomorrow 7:30!!!! GOOD LUCK! I think these 2020s are lemons!!!!

OP
OP
Blondie7038

Blondie7038

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Check your local lemon laws. A new car dead for many weeks is a lemon. You could at least tell them you will be proceeding with a lemon law claim as soon as you are legally entitled to unless they provide you with a like loaner in the meantime.
Just got it back and now the radio system isn’t working. She goes back to the dealership tomorrow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blondie7038

Blondie7038

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Anyone else have a brand new 2020 Jeep Wrangler out of commission? Less than 2500 kms and the 8- speed transmission is fried. It’s been over month now. I purchased my third Jeep Wrangler at the end of March. My first payment came out and the next day she wouldn’t drive. I took it to the nearest dealership waited approx 4 hours. Went to the service counter and asked if I should wait any longer. They advised me that the transmission was fubared and they would be sending me an Enterprise rental. ... yep a stinky minivan! Enterprise had me put down a deposit. I had to sign wavers saying I was responsible for roadside, scratches and cracks as I refused to pay any extra insurance after finding out I actually had to pay more for my personal insurance to drive a rental “fleet” vehicle. I left the dealership feeling defeated and frustrated. So two days pass and I call the dealership to see what’s up. Ohhh, more great news. The new transmission will be in sometime in August... might be lucky to have her back on the road in September. So the whole summer with a shitty rental and paying for NEW wrangler. After purchasing a brand new one. I am so distraught I email Jeep Canada as the dealership tells me I should. Says maybe they can compensate you some how. So I start by email. 8 days later I still haven’t heard a word. So I call. Tell my story and the guy explains I have a case manager and she should have contacted me, ... NOPE! Spoke with her and she tells me over and over and over that I have a warranty. I GET THAT! BUT I can’t help my overwhelming frustration!?! Am I wrong!?!? You buy a toaster and if it doesn’t toast bread you get a new one? Some sort of compensation? There has to be a nice demo vehicle I can drive for the rest of the summer!? Hell Cat!?!? Might take my mind off the loss? THOUGHTS????
Just got it back and now the radio system is fucked! Goes back to the dealership tomorrow!!!

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Similar to my 2018 Sahara w/8 speed auto. My trans died one day, it was towed to the dealer and I got it back 5 days shy of three months! The new trans feels jerky like the shift program is wrong. I don’t even drive it anymore.... maybe three times in the last six months.
Sponsored