Sponsored

2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited ORDER GUIDE (4-Door)!

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
It's great that they are still offering the same 3.6 24V VVT ESS that they have for the 2018-2019 models. But, I think the 3.6 with E-Torque is going to be the sweetest option and I consider this engine their "top" offering. I don't understand the reasoning for why it is not available as an option on the Rubicon?
I agree, you’d think that he extra low down power provided by the eTorque would be particularly suited to off roading in a Rubicon.
Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
It’s all about packaging simplification. My thought is that Rubicon buyers have been very vocal about not wanting the complexity of the eTorque system when off-roading. It’s been loud of clear on these forums and dozens of Facebook groups. Why offer something that people don’t really want? There is a lot of cost involved with every combination of options/drivetrains a manufacturer offers, and if the demand isn’t really there, no real gain from offering it. The name of the game is profit at the end of the day.

I agree, you’d think that he extra low down power provided by the eTorque would be particularly suited to off roading in a Rubicon.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Very interesting price strategy on I4 vs V6

Jeep couldn’t convince customers to pay $3,000 for the I4, so they effectively made it cheaper to try and force buyers into it as the standard motor to help their CAFE numbers.

Will be very curious to see if people still value the V6 as $1,000 better, since it’s the premium engine now.

Last edited:

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
It’s all about packaging simplification. My thought is that Rubicon buyers have been very vocal about not wanting the complexity of the eTorque system when off-roading. It’s been loud of clear on these forums and dozens of Facebook groups. Why offer something that people don’t really want? There is a lot of cost involved with every combination of options/drivetrains a manufacturer offers, and if the demand isn’t really there, no real gain from offering it. The name of the game is profit at the end of the day.
Maybe the way E-Torque works it can't regenerate it's power source when out rock crawling. It may need to be exposed to driving around at faster speeds in order to replenish its ability to deliver the extra torque under 1500 RPM. If that's the case, it would be useless on the trails. Don't know. Just a theory.

piloto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3S2000944S
Maybe the way E-Torque works it can't regenerate it's power source when out rock crawling. It may need to be exposed to driving around at faster speeds in order to replenish its ability to deliver the extra torque under 1500 RPM. If that's the case, it would be useless on the trails. Don't know. Just a theory.
But the Rubicon is and has been available with the eTorque 2.0T, and the same assumed characteristics would apply to that as well.

I think it’s mostly to meet CAFE requirements, and I suspect it’s because it would be too complex from a price point if they offered basically 3 engines in the Rubicon, 4 if we assume the diesel will join at some point.

Sponsored

piloto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3S2000944S
Disappointed about the color options. Also wondering if the black leather seats will still have red stitching or if they’ll go to white stitching like on the Sahara. The latter would make the exterior color selection much easier.

As much as I love the red stitching, it and the red dash panel just clash with so many of the exterior color. The dash panel is simple and relatively cheap to replace, but the same can’t be said of all the stitched items.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Yeah, the lack of color options is the worst part, especially on a Jeep! Not only should you have every color of the rainbow as an option, but every variant of it as well. I should have to choose between red, orangered, metallic red, dark red, etc. Not just bright roadcone red. Likewise, more blues would be nice. Why do we have like 4 shades of grey to choose from? And no proper silver silver.

piloto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3S2000944S
Yeah, the lack of color options is the worst part, especially on a Jeep! Not only should you have every color of the rainbow as an option, but every variant of it as well. I should have to choose between red, orangered, metallic red, dark red, etc. Not just bright roadcone red. Likewise, more blues would be nice. Why do we have like 4 shades of grey to choose from? And no proper silver silver.
Lol. My comment was specific to combinations of the exterior and interior. Guess I should have been clearer on that.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Only model that gets eTorque engines is the Sahara. Rubi and Sport get non-eTorque variants of the 2.0T and 3.6.
Hmmm.

So that adds even more to the complexity of what FCA is doing. I assume that you know your stuff and as a result you are saying that the 2.0T in the Sahara is a different engine (a “variant”) than the 2.0T in the Rubi and sport.

That means that the number of engines Jeep will potentially be putting in wranglers is now potentially 6:

3.6 etorque
2.0T etorque
2.0T BSG
Diesel
PHEV

I don’t know much about the car business (actually, I know zip) but that strikes me as a lot of engines for one line of vehicles.

piloto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3S2000944S
Also, no trail cam. Thought we'd have seen that added as an option as well. It would require the larger grill inserts, but they already have them for the Gladiator.

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Hmmm.

So that adds even more to the complexity of what FCA is doing. I assume that you know your stuff and as a result you are saying that the 2.0T in the Sahara is a different engine (a “variant”) than the 2.0T in the Rubi and sport.

That means that the number of engines Jeep will potentially be putting in wranglers is now potentially 6:

3.6 etorque
2.0T etorque
2.0T BSG
Diesel
PHEV

I don’t know much about the car business (actually, I know zip) but that strikes me as a lot of engines for one line of vehicles.
Well at this point the Diesel and the PHEV are just speculation.

The eTorque and BSG are the same thing. So the engine line up is....

3.6 eTorque
2.0T
2.0T eTorque

So in reality it’s only 2 engines.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Those of us outside of the US, so export models, never got the eTorque with the 2.0t in our Rubicons. Yes it’s the same engine, it makes the same power and torque but doesn’t have the extra power away from standstill that the eTorque provides. I think eTorque also helps with the mpg a little.
Only model that gets eTorque engines is the Sahara. Rubi and Sport get non-eTorque variants of the 2.0T and 3.6.
I'm not super familiar with BSG/eTorque but from my understanding it adds extra power when accelerating and during gear shifts. Is this correct?

Will the 2.0T non-BSG/eTorque be more sluggish/less powerful?

Concerns me as I plan on adding larger tires. From what I have read the 2.0T eTorque handled them well.

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Looks like the sport has a new variant called Black and Tan. It seems to have different wheels and it’s own standard options. I’d like to see a picture of it.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I'm not super familiar with BSG/eTorque but from my understanding it adds extra power when accelerating and during gear shifts. Is this correct?

Concerns me as I plan on adding larger tires. From what I have read the 2.0T eTorque handled them well.
I’ve never driven the eTorque version of the 2.0T, it’s just not available in the UK so it’s hard to make a comparison. My understanding is the two engines ultimately make the same power and torque... as the eTorque only boosts the power at low revs. So you feel it accelerating from a standstill. It’s an extra 70bhp, so it’s not insignificant. I think it cuts out at 1000/1500 revs and the normal petrol engine takes over from there.

I’m not disappointed in the performance of mine at all. It doesn’t feel to me like it would struggle to run bigger tyres. It makes slightly less power but more torque than the 3.6 even without the eTorque.

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

From my understanding, you are correct. I wouldn't expect huge differences once moving but the BSG does help with accelerating from a stop. Including making the start/stop a bit more seamless.

I don't understand they even bother offering the 2.0T without the BSG in the Rubicon.

I wanted a Rubicon with a diesel but would have definitely settled for a 3.6 w/ BSG. Then I thought well if neither of those are offered then I'd settle for a 2.0T w/ BSG....now it looks like that won't even be offered.
I'm down to my 4th choice with the plain jane 3.6 and bunch of wasted time waiting for the 2020..
Sponsored