Sponsored

2020 Jeep JLU 6 Speed MT Issues

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU MT 6 Speed
I'm hoping to get some insight on maybe another JLU owner that is experiencing a similar issue and maybe has a solution.

So I bought my Jeep in Nov 2019 and off the bat I noticed 5th and 6th gear was pretty awful when on the freeway. Since November I have put about 15,000 miles on it and the issue has only gotten worse. For the most part 1st-4th gear the Jeep gets up goes but 5th/6th even on a flat road I will shift into them and everything seems fine, I'm cruising at 70mph and then all of a sudden I start to lose power so I press the pedal to the floor to pick my speed back up but instead of speeding up I continue to lose speed. My RPMs don't really move they basically stay where they are at but it sounds like my motor is trying to put in the work to accelerate but all it does is make a deep throaty spudder sound. So I down shift to 5th and same thing happens so I down shift again and now I'm in 4th and able to just maintain speed or accelerate. At this point I will cruise in 4th at 65mph for a little bit and then try shifting up again to 5th/6th and it will be fine for a little while and then the issue will happen all over again. I monitor the temperatures, oil pressure, voltage, and MPGs. Everything remains normal and there a no warning lights. The only thing that seems to change are my MPGs. I go from 20-24 MPGs to 10-12MPGs accompanied by the loss of power/deep throat engine spudder sound. Since the RPMs remain the same and don't go up or down I don't think the clutch would be slipping. I tried changing my fuel from the normal 87 to 93 and that seemed to help a little but hasn't resolved the issue. I recently had the Jeep at the dealer to have a clutch recall takin care of but that has seemed to have no effect on this issue either. Has anybody else out there had this experience on the MT 6 Speed Jeep JLU 3.6?
Sponsored

cory_medic20

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited sport
I'm hoping to get some insight on maybe another JLU owner that is experiencing a similar issue and maybe has a solution.

So I bought my Jeep in Nov 2019 and off the bat I noticed 5th and 6th gear was pretty awful when on the freeway. Since November I have put about 15,000 miles on it and the issue has only gotten worse. For the most part 1st-4th gear the Jeep gets up goes but 5th/6th even on a flat road I will shift into them and everything seems fine, I'm cruising at 70mph and then all of a sudden I start to lose power so I press the pedal to the floor to pick my speed back up but instead of speeding up I continue to lose speed. My RPMs don't really move they basically stay where they are at but it sounds like my motor is trying to put in the work to accelerate but all it does is make a deep throaty spudder sound. So I down shift to 5th and same thing happens so I down shift again and now I'm in 4th and able to just maintain speed or accelerate. At this point I will cruise in 4th at 65mph for a little bit and then try shifting up again to 5th/6th and it will be fine for a little while and then the issue will happen all over again. I monitor the temperatures, oil pressure, voltage, and MPGs. Everything remains normal and there a no warning lights. The only thing that seems to change are my MPGs. I go from 20-24 MPGs to 10-12MPGs accompanied by the loss of power/deep throat engine spudder sound. Since the RPMs remain the same and don't go up or down I don't think the clutch would be slipping. I tried changing my fuel from the normal 87 to 93 and that seemed to help a little but hasn't resolved the issue. I recently had the Jeep at the dealer to have a clutch recall takin care of but that has seemed to have no effect on this issue either. Has anybody else out there had this experience on the MT 6 Speed Jeep JLU 3.6?
Im going through the same thing, did you find a fix?

hmz236

First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Just to clarify you said you feel a loss of power, your speed drops but your RPM remains the same?

If so that sounds like a clutch issue to me. 5 & 6th gear are tall gears but you shouldn't be loosing power on a flat road.
I normally have to downshift on small inclines or my speed starts to drop but I'm also on 33's with stock sport gearing :giggle:

cory_medic20

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited sport
Just to clarify you said you feel a loss of power, your speed drops but your RPM remains the same?

If so that sounds like a clutch issue to me. 5 & 6th gear are tall gears but you shouldn't be loosing power on a flat road.
I normally have to downshift on small inclines or my speed starts to drop but I'm also on 33's with stock sport gearing :giggle:
I have a Sport just put a 3.5 inch lift on and 35 12.50s I feel like im continually down shiftting to 4th and 3rd to maintain 70mph....6th gear is now almost usless. the only thing I now to do is to re gear

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase

Do you have a sport on 35’s? Have you re geared it? If you haven’t that would explain it the 3.6 loves to rev you can’t Cruise At 70MPH below 2000 RPM and expect it to keep its speed I have a JLUR with 315’s 6 speed and I have no problem staying in 6th at 70MPH unless there’s a moderate hill and then i shift into 5th if it’s a big hill then 4th. Happy Jeeping.

Sponsored

OP
OP
StevenTexasJLU
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU MT 6 Speed

I thought if the RPMs aren't rising then it wouldn't be a clutch issue, I'm on 33s with stock sport gearing also. I figured with a clutch issue my RPMs would at least rise still? Idk I'm still monitoring while driving everything seems normal except for this issue. I guess maybe I need to upgrade the gears and then see how it rides. The other thing is that when I experience the "loss of power" my current MPG will drop significantly from maybe cruising at 70 mph in 5th to 10mpg pedal to the metal and still loosing speed on a flat Texas freeway. Would that still be the sport gearing?

Turchman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 VW Tiguan, 2001 Infinity
Occupation
Engineer and Quality Manager
Have you scanned for stored codes?

Sponsored

hmz236

First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I thought if the RPMs aren't rising then it wouldn't be a clutch issue, I'm on 33s with stock sport gearing also. I figured with a clutch issue my RPMs would at least rise still? Idk I'm still monitoring while driving everything seems normal except for this issue. I guess maybe I need to upgrade the gears and then see how it rides. The other thing is that when I experience the "loss of power" my current MPG will drop significantly from maybe cruising at 70 mph in 5th to 10mpg pedal to the metal and still loosing speed on a flat Texas freeway. Would that still be the sport gearing?
Strange, not sure about the loss of power thing and drop in MPG. Would be worth checking for codes like @Truchman said.

If your RPMs are staying consistent but speed is dropping then there is a problem in the drivetrain somewhere. I would most likely attribute it to the clutch slipping since it has been a known issue now. If your RPMs are dropping with your speed then that would be a loss of power.

hmz236

First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I have a Sport just put a 3.5 inch lift on and 35 12.50s I feel like im continually down shiftting to 4th and 3rd to maintain 70mph....6th gear is now almost usless. the only thing I now to do is to re gear
I plan on re-gearing eventually when I make the jump to larger tires but for now 33's with stock gearing isn't terrible. Anything bigger in my opinion is begging for re-gear.
Sponsored