Sponsored

2020 Ford Bronco and baby Bronco models teased to take on Wrangler and Renegade?

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Ford’s probably gonna try and push their ecoboost over NA down their potential customers throat...
Sponsored

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The broncos were pretty hot back in the day- I’ll admit I wanted a full size one - Back then. Problem is a huge generation gap since those days. After pissing off bronco and bronco II fans and basically making it non existent for decades, now they wanna bring it back. I’ll bet many Ford loyalists turned their back on Ford after that.

It just seems about as “gimmicky” as the retro Camaro, Challenger or Mustang.

Meanwhile- the wrangler has been going steady all this time. No gimmicks for nostalgia purposes- it’s been here during the Broncos absence.

I’ll admit I’m interested in how this turns out, but I’ll definitely be buying a Wrangler. Just the look of this Bronco could make or break the model.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6

Sponsored

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
When you look at the windshield angles on these 2 pictures, they look like totally different vehicles, so not sure it’s a 2/4 doors thing, or 2 different possible designs
Two different vehicles. The first image is the Bronco teaser. The second image is the "baby Bronco" model they just announced would be coming to slot underneath the Bronco.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Ford’s probably gonna try and push their ecoboost over NA down their potential customers throat...
Is there a problem with that? It's a fantastic engine. I see you own a 2015 V6 Mustang. Are you bothered that the same year 2.3 ecoboost pulls better torque, HP, and MPG figures than your V6? trolololol

Plus, it has proven good reliability thus far. The only thing it lacks is a good sound, unfortunately.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
Only thing is, we won’t see a solid front axle. Ford killed it long ago.
I really hope they bring it back just for this... If they really want to compete against the Wrangler, they shouldn't half azz it. If the wheelbase is close to the JLU's, the top came off, they offered a manual trans, and it came with solid axles, I'd be all over it.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Will they offer a convertible?
I can see a front and rear sun roof or something similar to the Wrangler's Power Sliding Top.

The pic shows standard SUV fenders and appears to be fairly small wheel wells so I would be surprised if it's Rubicon version will have 33s.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I think to capitalize on the retro nostalgia Ford should stick to something like this in size and shape. Throw in a bunch of tech and removable top and the market will go apeshit.

9F04F41D-6F9E-4E84-90E3-E6F58B2F3614.jpeg
Damn those first gen Broncos were all over the place in the 90's where I lived in Colorado. $3000 could have bought me one in decent shape, and $6000 a nice one. What happened? They are going for $30,000 in some places yikes. Kicking myself.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I think to capitalize on the retro nostalgia Ford should stick to something like this in size and shape. Throw in a bunch of tech and removable top and the market will go apeshit.

9F04F41D-6F9E-4E84-90E3-E6F58B2F3614.jpeg
I myself, though not the market, would indeed go, as you say, ape shit.:rock:

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
Damn those first gen Broncos were all over the place in the 90's where I lived in Colorado. $3000 could have bought me one in decent shape, and $6000 a nice one. What happened? They are going for $30,000 in some places yikes. Kicking myself.
A buddy of mine restores them and has sold as high as 45k.... it’s crazy. But yes anyone who has one with the rear fenders still intact and decent shape can make some money.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
The broncos were pretty hot back in the day- I’ll admit I wanted a full size one - Back then. Problem is a huge generation gap since those days. After pissing off bronco and bronco II fans and basically making it non existent for decades, now they wanna bring it back. I’ll bet many Ford loyalists turned their back on Ford after that.

It just seems about as “gimmicky” as the retro Camaro, Challenger or Mustang.

Meanwhile- the wrangler has been going steady all this time. No gimmicks for nostalgia purposes- it’s been here during the Broncos absence.

I’ll admit I’m interested in how this turns out, but I’ll definitely be buying a Wrangler. Just the look of this Bronco could make or break the model.
Combined, those three outsell the Wrangler (so gimmicks do work), and what is the Wrangler grill, if not a nostalgia throwback "gimmick"? Just because it's always been there doesn't mean it's not a sales gimmick.
This doesn't look to be an all nostalgia/no purpose vehicle, like the Chevy SS or the PT Cruiser, so hopefully form follows function in this case.
I agree that the JL will have it all over the Bronco in terms of loyalty, but just having it on the market might make Jeep up their game (let's hope in terms of pricing, at least).
Regardless, I'll be sticking with the JL when the time comes, unless the Bronco is revolutionary.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Combined, those three outsell the Wrangler (so gimmicks do work), and what is the Wrangler grill, if not a nostalgia throwback "gimmick"? Just because it's always been there doesn't mean it's not a sales gimmick.
This doesn't look to be an all nostalgia/no purpose vehicle, like the Chevy SS or the PT Cruiser, so hopefully form follows function in this case.
I agree that the JL will have it all over the Bronco in terms of loyalty, but just having it on the market might make Jeep up their game (let's hope in terms of pricing, at least).
Regardless, I'll be sticking with the JL when the time comes, unless the Bronco is revolutionary.
I don't think it is a gimmick, there is a reason people like the older designs, they were just better!

Which one would you rather have?

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmotoburg.com%2Fimages%2Fford-mustang-ii-cobra-ii-04.jpg

?u=http%3A%2F%2F2040cars.com%2F_content%2Fcars%2Fimages%2F25%2F195025%2F004.jpg

or

.motortrend.ca%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F5%2F2017%2F10%2F2018-Ford-Mustang-GT-Performance-Pack-Level-2.jpg
Sponsored