Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So according to RR4W trail ratings, im not qualified for anything over a 4. but i've seen these people https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/our-trip-out-west-with-open-diffs.34306/ do a lot of the trails i want to do with essentially the same setup.

I got no lockers(well LSD), no gears, just a manual trans sport with rubicon suspension and 1.5" spacer.

anything i should do with the last few weeks i have before i head out?
I'm the guy who made that thread :) lol. I stumbled across this thread and saw that and thought I'd chime in. You will be completely fine for Fins and Things but I can't speak to the other trails. You would be fine for Hell's Revenge, Top of the World and Poison Spider but be prepared to scrape on those last two. There is no way I would do Moab Rim with your set up. We now have 3.5" lift, 37s and D44s with lockers and I would be comfortable doing Moab Rim now but I'm told there is still a high pucker factor, lol.
Since you are not built much and you don't have a winch I would recommend any trail you do with someone with you.
Sponsored

Cracker_Box

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I'm the guy who made that thread :) lol.
Haha awesome. Yeah I do have a winch, forgot about it. Thanks for the confidence boost. Last time I was in Moab I was in this...

_DSC9118.jpg

I mean it had a 3.6 in it... Ha.
So I'll be able to actually do some stuff this time haha.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Haha awesome. Yeah I do have a winch, forgot about it. Thanks for the confidence boost. Last time I was in Moab I was in this...

_DSC9118.jpg

I mean it had a 3.6 in it... Ha.
So I'll be able to actually do some stuff this time haha.
LOL, no prob. You will LOVE Fins and Things, it was such a blast.

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR Mojito, 1993 YJ, 2001 Ram 2500, 2012 Ram Dually , 2014 Durango
Occupation
Retired
I'm the guy who made that thread :) lol. I stumbled across this thread and saw that and thought I'd chime in. You will be completely fine for Fins and Things but I can't speak to the other trails. You would be fine for Hell's Revenge, Top of the World and Poison Spider but be prepared to scrape on those last two. There is no way I would do Moab Rim with your set up. We now have 3.5" lift, 37s and D44s with lockers and I would be comfortable doing Moab Rim now but I'm told there is still a high pucker factor, lol.
Since you are not built much and you don't have a winch I would recommend any trail you do with someone with you.
I agree with @mgroeger, Fins n Things, Hell's Revenge, Top of the World and probably Poison Spider are all trails that your Jeep is capable of, albeit some of the obstacles encountered might require some extra finesse, and or result in scraping and bumping that you would not necessarily have with a lifted, larger tired Rubicon. Fins n Things is a slam dunk, your Jeep will do just fine on this trail for sure.
I also agree that Moab Rim should not be on your list of trails to try in a relatively stock Sport, or Sahara (see qualifier to this statement below) .

I hope you still try to hook up with our group (JL Forum Group) and give some of the trails on our list a shot.
Most of the group will be running Rubicons with 35 to 37 inch tires with 2.5 to 3.5 inches of lift, but that doesn't mean that you wouldn't be welcome to run with us. Somebody else may chime in but I'm not going to say your Jeep wouldn't make it up and back off of Moab Rim. Google some YouTube videos of Moab Rim and make your own decision regarding you and your Jeeps capability. I've seen (YouTube Videos) some pretty stock Jeeps on Moab Rim, and I've done it myself so I will never say never...;)
Half of the fun in these trails is the scenery and the camaraderie of the group working together to make sure everybody has a great time.
I look forward to meeting you.
Alan

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

Cracker_Box

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I agree with @mgroeger
Google some YouTube videos of Moab Rim and make your own decision regarding you and your Jeeps capability. I've seen (YouTube Videos) some pretty stock Jeeps on Moab Rim, and I've done it myself so I will never say never...;)
Half of the fun in these trails is the scenery and the camaraderie of the group working together to make sure everybody has a great time.
I look forward to meeting you.
Alan
haha just watched Bleepin Jeeps video of Moab Rim and they had a YJ with them that looked about how I'd far, smacking the rear bumper and scraping a good bit but that sand hill section looks like a blast!

Im down to meet up, ride and shoot pictures/video any time. But this will be my first time offroad in these kinds of conditions, Louisiana isn't know for our slick rock... slick mud however i have some experience.

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We’re getting closer! New truck was delivered to the dealer today and hope to get it sometime this week. Swapped axles on my wife’s JL so now she has some 5.13s. Lots to do before we leave but looking forward to seeing everyone

Brett

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
We’re getting closer! New truck was delivered to the dealer today and hope to get it sometime this week. Swapped axles on my wife’s JL so now she has some 5.13s. Lots to do before we leave but looking forward to seeing everyone

Brett
Yeah, just under 4 weeks for snow to melt enough that I can get my camper out. luckily it has been warming up nicely here and snow is dropping.
I did get my 3.5" springs installed last weekend and also put on all of my Metal Cloak diff skids, covers, etc. So I think the Jeep is ready to go.
What truck did you order? Earlier when you mentioned trading your Jeep in I figured maybe you were getting a Gladiator :idea:

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey everyone, hoping to get some help and direction. I'd like to go to EJS for my first time but haven't planned anything yet so the logistics is what's holding me back.

I'd be going solo and assume all the accommodations are booked up. I have an overland trailer with RTT so I could consider camping.

I'd like to arrive on Wednesday morning but I work remotely so I am wondering if there is a library or somewhere I could post up for about 4 hours a day with reliable Internet.

Anyone know of any camp grounds or dispersed camping I would want to look into?

Thanks,
Morgan

cold gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler JKU on 41.5" Pitbull rockers. A few mods
Hey everyone, hoping to get some help and direction. I'd like to go to EJS for my first time but haven't planned anything yet so the logistics is what's holding me back.

I'd be going solo and assume all the accommodations are booked up. I have an overland trailer with RTT so I could consider camping.

I'd like to arrive on Wednesday morning but I work remotely so I am wondering if there is a library or somewhere I could post up for about 4 hours a day with reliable Internet.

Anyone know of any camp grounds or dispersed camping I would want to look into?

Thanks,
Morgan
I am cancelling my EJS plans today. I have a hotel booking u can take over if you want. Also trail bookings for all days but are all higher level trails like Pritchett Canyon, Moab Rim rusty nail version etc.

Sponsored

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I am cancelling my EJS plans today. I have a hotel booking u can take over if you want. Also trail bookings for all days but are all higher level trails like Pritchett Canyon, Moab Rim rusty nail version etc.
Take the hotel booking for sure, they are pretty much booked up everywhere.

cold gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was just told trail booking are not transferable but will go back into the booking system.

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I was just told trail booking are not transferable but will go back into the booking system.
That's too bad, but I guess I'm not surprised.

cold gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
should be some good openings soon for somebody.
Cliffhanger - April 4, 2020
Flat Iron Mesa - April 5, 2020
Gold Bar Rim, Rusty Nail version - April 6, 2020
Steel Bender - April 7, 2020
Moab Rim - April 8, 2020
Pritchett Canyon - April 9, 2020
Metal Masher - April 10, 2020
Hells Revenge - April 11, 2020

Should all open up soon

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
RR4Wheelers sent me a notice about canceling some public gatherings during EJS. Vendors Expo show and dinners are canceled. I’m wondering if Big Saturday and FCA’s concept/ new Jeep display will be next. I’m even beginning to wonder how they can keep EJS Event going.
From RR4wheelers email...

Update regarding events during
Easter Jeep Safari 2020

The Grand County council is putting forth an emergency ordinance limiting attendance at special events.

A careful review of the attendance limits on mass events has put us in the position of canceling the Vendor Expo held in conjunction with EJS.

All of the trails for EJS will go off as scheduled.

Meeting places and times will remain the same.

Registration will be open at Old Spanish Trail Arena every morning from 7:00 am starting Saturday April 4th.

All other EJS related activities will be handled on a case by case basis.

At this time both the Quadretec BBQ (April 7) and the Boy Scout BBQ (April 9) have also been cancelled.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.