Not open for further replies.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
What I am finding interesting is what Civil Libertarian groups are going to try to do about situations like this, if anything?. For instance, the ACLU in the past has sued Cities (and won) when cities attempted to remove homeless camps from public land. I believe that I understand, perhaps incorrectly, that the basis of the cases are that camping on public land is “right” when no other facilities are available. This document seems to confirm that:

https://www.aclu-wa.org/file/101615/download?token=zvf4spb_

Interestingly, in this order in Utah, the county has shut all housing facilities and also made it illegal to “camp on public lands”. It is unclear to me that the county can prevent anyone from entering the county (can they?) — despite their desire to only allow ‘essential visitors” and “primary residents”. If I can legally enter the county, then I have no place to sleep...... and, if these court cases are to be believed, I have a “right” to camp on public lands.

note, I’m not a lawyer and certainly not a constitutional lawyer, but I am curious if any civil liberty group will file a suit over orders like this. And, if they do, it will be interesting to follow the outcome.
I doubt you'll have to wait long for the circus to start. Right now the big tent (courts) are closed most places.
Sponsored

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR Mojito, 1993 YJ, 2001 Ram 2500, 2012 Ram Dually , 2014 Durango
Occupation
Retired
The thing that is clear is the people in power in Moab believe tourists will spread the virus quicker than without tourists. They don’t want tourists there while this is going on. Honestly having less people around especially food shortages makes sense. I can’t comment about the homeless side of this.

unless something changes we will not go to moab for ejs. Still hoping sand hollow is still in play, but Vegas shutting things down I doubt it will be.
Hopefully things improve in the next 30 to 45 days so we can still hit Moab before it gets too hot.

MileHigh

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
This discussion is interesting to me, especially when you bring up constitutional laws or rights of people. Closing down public lands to people is very concerning and it does impede on our rights as American citizens. I am one to stand for our rights and I have fought back against gov't entities abusing their power. But let me understand our concerns here and put my thoughts on them.

The lands and the County we are discussing here are in and around Moab Utah. I'm guessing none of us in this discussion are a resident of either Moab, tht County or even that area? Maybe not even Utah. So, why are we discussing their choice to shut down the area? Because we care about the open land around that area? Because we don't like gov't shutting down any area for any reason? Or because we all want to go to Moab to meet other people, attend groups and hit the trails with others? Why is THAT land so important to us Non-residents of that area?

We are seeing other States and areas of even Utah being shut down. Not seeing the uproar over those areas. So, the open land around Moab is being closed temporarily. What about that open land just off of I-70? Or maybe open land around Green River? Or other land up in the mountains of Utah? There is still plenty of land open to us to go camp.

With this I do not see the ACLU doing anything. There is a reason why they are doing this, a risk to health. Now, while I do not agree with shutting down the entire Country I am not in charge to make these decisions. For me, I am changing up how I do things, staying home more and only doing things that are logical in the current state of things and going only places that are essential, like the grocery store on a very limited basis.

Moab and the County know what is going to happen even though the Sponsors of EJS pulled out, people were still going to go. So, that puts them at risk! You can say all you want that you would only camp on open land just outsideMoab and you wouldn't be around more than 10 people or you wouldn't use the town for anything. Heck, they could close it and I bet people would still enter town. They are making a very clear stance to indicate to everyone to stay away during this time. Who know, maybe this will all be over by then. But as a City and a County they have to be responsible and follow the guidelines that the State, Feds and CDC have laid out.

I see why they're doing it and so do you. To bring up talk about the ACLU and groups suing them is ridiculous. Relax, this will all be over soon, I hope. Let's all do our part and make logical conscious decisions. Moab will still be there when this is all over!

tdoga2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
"I see why they're doing it and so do you. To bring up talk about the ACLU and groups suing them is ridiculous. Relax, this will all be over soon, I hope. Let's all do our part and make logical conscious decisions. Moab will still be there when this is all over!"​

I couldn't agree more! It's terribly disappointing, but we all need to do our part to address the crisis. Logic. Facts. Data. Use them all to make good decisions.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
"I see why they're doing it and so do you. To bring up talk about the ACLU and groups suing them is ridiculous. Relax, this will all be over soon, I hope. Let's all do our part and make logical conscious decisions. Moab will still be there when this is all over!"​

I couldn't agree more! It's terribly disappointing, but we all need to do our part to address the crisis. Logic. Facts. Data. Use them all to make good decisions.
Right now fear and panic reign over logic, facts or data. According to The Guardian, COVID mortality rate is 1%
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...w-did-it-start-and-what-is-the-mortality-rate

Here, WSJ says 1.4% in Wuhan
https://www.wsj.com/articles/corona...initial-estimates-new-study-finds-11584663474

I'm curious how long the public will tolerate the severe economic downturn. Here's some logic: a 1% chance of dying but say you're a Moab business with a 98% chance of losing your business or home if this goes on for more than X weeks.

Hmm, 1% vs 98%.....

My family lives in Moab, does that qualify me to have an opinion?

But remember everyone: continue virtue signaling to prove you're a good person by repeating the party line of "flatten the curve."

Sponsored

MileHigh

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
My family lives in Moab, does that qualify me to have an opinion?

But remember everyone: continue virtue signaling to prove you're a good person by repeating the party line of "flatten the curve."
I understand all the numbers and I am concerned about the current situation and overwhelming shutdown that is being caused by this. I am addressing the ridiculous comments about Suing the City, County or any other Gov't entity because we all can't camp for a little while. It shows the short sided stance some on here are taking. As for your family, they should get involved in the decisions there. It's not a big community. Have they spoken out against shutting down EJS? Or were they ALL FOR keeping it all going during all this? I'm curious to know that since you brought them up... As for the 'Towing the party line' This has NOTHING to do with Political Parties! And the sooner we all realize that the sooner we can all get back to Life as usual.

The numbers you quoted paint a different picture, yes. And I do agree with you! However, when we're dealing with an unknown like this virus is and we have data from other Countries and we see what it can do to a population it's very scary. It is very contagious, more than just the standard Flu that we are used to. We can be carriers and not know it. I think we are shutting down more than we really need to but like I said before, I'm not in charge. I'm not responsible for the fall out that a virus like this can cause. So, I logically do things that will help, like limiting myself around groups. The sooner we get it under control and get those who have it quarantined the sooner we all can get back to life as usual. I believe the shut down dates they have been putting out is extreme. We should be looking at it every two weeks, not post up that we're shutting things down until the end of April or mid May but again, I'm not in charge.

The Feds and States are working to lessen the burden on people and businesses and we'll see more of that here soon. I see the Feds moving very quick and it's been impressive! Here's the good news, we're ALL in this together. It's not like an individual company is getting hit while others are not. This shut down has not been going for very long so let's see how it plays out. But, back to the topic here, I was simply commenting on those who say 'SUE SUE SUE!!'

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Old thread but today was wondering yeah, what happened to my $400 EJS refund due to Covid-19 cancellation. I honestly never saw it on any of my Visa statements so contacted RR4WC. I got it sort of, minus $15 which they said "is mandatory" and nothing for my $50 membership which was only for their early sign up offer. I'm out $65 for nothing. So be it, enjoy the ill gotten gain. They don't know it but RR4WC will be out my $'s for many years to come. Haha, May the bird of paradise fly up the clubs A$$.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.