Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Did they say anything about the manufacturer of the diesel engine? I have heard nothing good about the Fiat diesel that is rumored to be the powerplant for this.
If you get it and IMMEDIATELY do a tune and delete it might last you over a 100k miles. If you do not. around 100K miles you are going to start to have EGR and particulate filter issues that will cost a pretty penny. That is if Jeep actually doesn't get you with their crappy DEF system. On the Grand Cherokee they put the DEF injector where simply hitting a puddle in the road too fast could take out the DEF injector. Let's see if they actually learned. I'm guessing not. Anyone that buys the diesel will be making a poor decision. It is not going to be cost effective.
Sponsored

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
Good point on the 5k mark.

Wouldn't that be awesome, though? A JLU that could tow 5k? Dare to dream!
What is interesting is the XJ Cherokees, when equipped with the factory tow package, were rated to tow 5,000 pounds. Just don't try to stop!

OilBurnerHoldOut

First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
What is interesting is the XJ Cherokees, when equipped with the factory tow package, were rated to tow 5,000 pounds. Just don't try to stop!
So were the liberties, and kl cherokees. My old 4.0 powered zj was rated for 6,000. The 5.2 was 6,500, and the 5.9 was 5,500. Heat issues were supposedly to blame for the last one though.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
They already can. Use trailer brakes and keep the speed to 62mph. That satisfies the German and Australian laws which bring their JLU tow rating to 5000 lbs using all of the same parts as ours. Our ratings are based on the JLU’s ability to brake and stabilize a 3500lb load up to 85mph, which is lunacy and ultimately misleading.
German tow ratings are scary- basically set at tow vehicle GVWR, but with only 5% tongue weight and limited to 90km/h. The JLU has a tow rating of 2495kg, the gas Sport S (no plain Sport) has a 2494kg GVWR.

Other interesting stuff I gleaned from the German spec sheet: https://www.jeep.de/content/dam/jeep/de/preisliste/Jeep_Deutschland_Preisliste_Wrangler_JL_19.pdf
They don’t get the Ecodiesel in the JL/JLU. They use the 2.2 Multijet in 200hp trim. All automatic.
All Sport and Sahara models get AWD, Sahara comes with a hard top standard.
Gas and diesel 4 doors models get the same 21.6gal fuel tank and 2 and 4 doors have the same 5gal DEF tank.
Gas and diesel models cost the same, which is... a bloody fortune. A JLU-R is €47,000 before tax.

Sponsored

njones61

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK Wrangler Rubicon
If you get it and IMMEDIATELY do a tune and delete it might last you over a 100k miles. If you do not. around 100K miles you are going to start to have EGR and particulate filter issues that will cost a pretty penny. That is if Jeep actually doesn't get you with their crappy DEF system. On the Grand Cherokee they put the DEF injector where simply hitting a puddle in the road too fast could take out the DEF injector. Let's see if they actually learned. I'm guessing not. Anyone that buys the diesel will be making a poor decision. It is not going to be cost effective.
Posts like this crack me up. If you want something completely sensible and "cost effective", get a boring Subaru or Toyota - not a Jeep. Good grief.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Side note. Read the only reason they actually didn't do the diesel 2 door is that adding the def tank would cut down the main fuel tank too much.

I say BAH! Engineers just lack vision. There is a bunch of space in each corner behind taillights. Hide the tank and put a filler hidden somewhere. Problem solved AND the 4 door can have it's 20+ gallon tank back.

Man engineers these days have no imagination.

Here is the article stating a Jeep rep told them as much.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tr...020-jeep-wrangler-high-mpg-diesel-engine/amp/

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Why couldn't the DEF tank go where the 48v hybrid battery is for the 2 door? I'm hoping that we see a diesel 2 door sometime in the 10 year production run...

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Why couldn't the DEF tank go where the 48v hybrid battery is for the 2 door? I'm hoping that we see a diesel 2 door sometime in the 10 year production run...
Because damn it. That would make too much sense. To hell with your reasonable ways! We are automotive engineers! If we don't over complicate it, try to make it impossible to work on and screw up what customers ask for we wouldn't be doing our jobs.
Sponsored