2020 EcoDiesel Wrangler JLU and Willys JL Revealed at TX State Fair

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Hey, be fair! It looks like the Willys also gets its own wheels . . . so it's got that going for it, which is nice. :giggle:
The Willys is a nice enough package- for $2500, you get LED front lights ($695), rock rails ($975), LSD, and the bigger brakes (otherwise unavailable). The wheels ($995) and tires don't look bad... Thought it was supposed to include the 7" U-connect, too....
Sponsored

chipbutty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
non yet
Jeep gets a diesel, one step forward. Jeep gives it an 18 gallon tank, two steps back....

Jeep comes out with a Willys edition for the JL, one step forward. Jeep gives it "an aggressive looking shiny grill and a sticker"...and nothing else , two steps back....

TFL interviews Jeep about the new lineup, one step forward. Roman screws up nearly every fact about the new lineup, two steps back....
Nothing else?
Cool wheels, LED headlights, rock rails...
Its a great model above Sport. If you look at this and complain, I dunno what to tell ya.

DrIsZS.jpg

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
Nothing else?
Cool wheels, LED headlights, rock rails...
Its a great model above Sport. If you look at this and complain, I dunno what to tell ya.

DrIsZS.jpg
Agreed. I really love the concept of the Willys Edition, I honestly was really close to getting a JK Willys until I snagged my JL. I do wish they would have gave it a rear locker though.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The Willys JL has Rubicon shocks ( not springs ), a Limited Slip ,and is based on the Sport S.
I can, and did, upgrade my Sport with the decals, black grill. It came with the optional LSD,and the subsequent D44, better tires. I didn't want Sport S power locks, Windows, tinted glass.
If the "new" Willys had meaningful upgrades, such as Bedlined interior, canvas seats , rear locker, based on plain Sport, like the TJ version, I would have it.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
To each their own.

I love the look of the Willy's. But outside of paying for cosmetics.the LED lights, rock rails, tires, all weather mats, and improved rear differential + improved shocks, are well worth the $1,900 extra I will pay over the Sport S build out I was looking at.

Sponsored

OilBurnerHoldOut

First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
I just hope Selec-trak is still an available option with the ecodiesel.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
That's news- everything previously stated that all diesels (JLU, JT, Rubicons ) would have 3.73 gears.
Brand manager dude said it in one of the videos. Fair dinkum...

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Oh man. I am just gonna put rubi shocks AND springs on my sport s with the no slip differential, and get a nicer sticker that doesn't look like it was designed by a toddler for a toddler. I'll call it "Billys" or wtver. What a joke.
Billy actually liked this post. Epic.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Brand manager dude said it in one of the videos. Fair dinkum...
TFL video, at 3:42 Junior responds to Roman (who looks like he needed a nap)"
"3.73 gears as well as HD Dana44 axles on every trim from Sport all the way to Rubicon"

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Where did you see that it was behind the rear axle?
In the camera shot of the tail pipe, you can see a separate box next to the muffler. It IS entirely possible that another part of the after treatment required room under the truck that made the tank shrink.

Sponsored

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
In the camera shot of the tail pipe, you can see a separate box next to the muffler. It IS entirely possible that another part of the after treatment required room under the truck that made the tank shrink.
I saw that as well but that would make the muffler roughly half the size of the one on a gas motor which feels unlikely to me. I just figured it was a dual chamber muffler or something like that.

Maybe a member attending the fair could crawl under one and solve this debate?

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Real question will be when Green Diesel engineering comes up with a PCM to defeat all the emissions crap. the DPF and EGR stuff take the fun out of modern Diesels.
DEF is behind the rear axle so they should have been able to fit a 20+ gallon diesel tank. Either way, the DEF->aux fuel conversions are coming.
Hate to bring the bad news, but the EPA just made it illegal for any one to sell off-road tunes or to modify any emissions equipment on diesels moving forward. Major bummer as I was looking forward to the diesel engine option and now I'm on the fence. Moving forward all mods will need to be emissions compliant as of 9/16. Below is a notice from PPEI. Now this doesn't mean there won't be mods, but you won't be able to perform EGR, or do DEF deletes at least in the states unless they move their operations outside the US. I'm sure a black market industry will popup with tuners from Canada & Mexico, but consumers in some states might be fined heavily if caught.

"EPA has taken the public position that a vehicle designed and sold for on-highway use, such as a common rail diesel pick-up truck, can never be converted to an off-highway, race vehicle if that conversion impacts emissions controls or emissions. EPA is currently enforcing this position through the EPA’s 2020-2023 National Compliance Initiative (NCI), as well as other methods.

PPEI believes there exists (and has always existed) an exception under the Clean Air Act for modifying emissions and emission controls for motor vehicles that have been permanently converted to off-highway race vehicles. In response to EPA’s public position and its NCI enforcement, effective 9/16/2019 at 2pm, PPEI will halt sales of race products. PPEI will continue to sell its products designed for on-highway use and is making great strides in expanding the line of on-highway products that deliver the performance that our customers desire
."

Overall, this is a slippery slope for vehicle mods in general as I can easily see them going after gas motors next.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I saw that as well but that would make the muffler roughly half the size of the one on a gas motor which feels unlikely to me. I just figured it was a dual chamber muffler or something like that.

Maybe a member attending the fair could crawl under one and solve this debate?
Lile you I assumed either dual chamber or maybe DPF.

Doctorit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Will the JLU ecodiesel get the integrated trailer brake controller from the JT?