Sponsored

2020 Diesel JL Wrangler officially announced, with 260hp / 442lb-ft and new 8 speed

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
80% different engine than that in the JLU. If you learn nothing else from VW and FCA, know that if they offer to “fix” your vehicle to appease the EPA and pay you to do it, run. Don’t even think about it. I doubt you’ll see any similar situation with the gen3 because FCA will be out multiple billions when the dust settles on this last emissions fiasco and you can bet your last dollar they won’t be playing in any shades of gray with the emissions software on the gen3. Will the gen3 be reliable otherwise? Time will tell but your odds will be a lot higher if you live in a place where you can delete the DPF, EGR and DEF systems.
I think we have to wait for more info from FCA about the engine.
Sponsored

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I wouldn’t be surprised if payload went down due to the diesel’s extra weight
Concur... The diesel is an easy 200lbs more than the 3.6... plus all the BGS and DEF gismo's..
JL's are heavy enough...

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
You said the diesel Jeep needs to have the DPF, EGR and DEF deleted. And I said deleting them is a huge gamble that will likely be a losing proposition for those who do it.

Losing in terms of:
* Warranty
* Smog/inspection
* Reliability

There may be a few who will pull one or more but it's unlikely that anything good will come from it given the 3 issues I've listed
Most folks wait until the warranty is up anyway before taking those parts off. So long as your post-delete tune does not throw a CEL, most folks who live in states requiring inspections would still not be caught with the DEF/DPF/EGR deleted because most aren’t actually checking pipe emissions. Reliability without those parts is absolutely better...that comes from experience and reports from nearly every modern diesel manufacturer, as they all have issues with those three systems.

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
The tq numbers are great on paper, but until they increase the towing capacity, it’s really not a huge deal to me. Will the extra tq help it pull 3.5k better? Sure, but it’s not all that bad with the current turbo engine. If we could actually get some real towing capacity, that extra tq would really help out.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The tq numbers are great on paper, but until they increase the towing capacity, it’s really not a huge deal to me. Will the extra tq help it pull 3.5k better? Sure, but it’s not all that bad with the current turbo engine. If we could actually get some real towing capacity, that extra tq would really help out.
If you need to tow more than 5500 lbs, a wrangler is the wrong choice. It’ll safely pull that weight though and the diesel will see the least mpg loss under load. If you plan on towing under 5500 regularly and your region does not tax diesel to the point of long-term significant financial loss, it’ll be your best option assuming you can afford the $4-6k premium up front.

TurboTJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Glad to see it’s coming out finally! I got impatient and bought a Raptor. Definitely not the off road capability of a Rubicon but still very fun and more enjoyable on road for not much more than a Diesel Rubicon will cost.

I will wait and see how the aftermarket support is for waking up the diesel and maybe trade in a few years from now.

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
So is the diesel rated higher (5.5k) than the current 3.5k?
The only thing I tow is my race trailer and 99% of the time, it’s towed with a dp motorhome, so the tow vehicle isn’t an issue. It’s that 1% where I might need to run it somewhere in town and the motorhome either isn’t practical, or isn’t even possible due to where I’ve got to go.
It would be great to be able to tow it with the Jeep for a few miles (10-20) if needed, instead of having to borrow a truck, but with a 3.5k/350 rating, there’s no way I’d feel safe doing it. If it were rated for 5.5k/550, I’d still be a little over, but close enough to where I didn’t feel unsafe going across town. (Of course, AFTER installing a brake controller in the Jeep as well.)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So is the diesel rated higher (5.5k) than the current 3.5k?
The only thing I tow is my race trailer and 99% of the time, it’s towed with a dp motorhome, so the tow vehicle isn’t an issue. It’s that 1% where I might need to run it somewhere in town and the motorhome either isn’t practical, or isn’t even possible due to where I’ve got to go.
It would be great to be able to tow it with the Jeep for a few miles (10-20) if needed, instead of having to borrow a truck, but with a 3.5k/350 rating, there’s no way I’d feel safe doing it. If it were rated for 5.5k/550, I’d still be a little over, but close enough to where I didn’t feel unsafe going across town. (Of course, AFTER installing a brake controller in the Jeep as well.)
JLU is rated for 5500 lbs in countries with 100km/hr towing speed limits and trailer brake laws. Diesel won’t be significantly different. You’ll be fine.

Sponsored

19JLRuby

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
System Engineer
We all knew it was coming, but nice to see it in an official press release. New transmission to handle additional torque output, and the rumored 442 ft/lb of torque. Coming by end of year.

https://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=20874&mid=4

September 1, 2019 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The iconic Jeep® Wrangler – the most capable and recognized vehicle in the world – delivers unmatched off-road capability and is produced with more than seven decades of 4x4 engineering experience. Powertrain options include a 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 with engine stop-start (ESS), 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 with mild-hybrid e-Torque technology, 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine with ESS and a 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine with mild-hybrid e-Torque technology. Wrangler continues to offer a body-on-frame design, front and rear five-link suspension system, solid axles, electronic lockers and is one of the few SUVs to offer a six-speed manual transmission in addition to its available eight-speed automatic.

New for 2020:
  • Wrangler features an updated powertrain menu:
    • Sport/Rubicon:
      • 2.0-liter ESS
      • 3.6-liter ESS
      • 3.0-liter EcoDiesel ESS (late availability)
    • Sahara:
      • 3.6-liter ESS (MTX only)
      • 2.0-liter with mild-hybrid eTorque assist
      • 3.6-liter with mild-hybrid eTorque assist
      • 3.0-liter EcoDiesel ESS (late availability)
  • Wrangler Sport and Rubicon models now offer 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine with ESS. The 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine with mild-hybrid eTorque technology is now exclusively available with Wrangler Sahara models
  • Diesel power will be offered in response to overwhelming consumer demand with a 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 with ESS (late availability)
  • Wrangler’s Advanced Safety Group now includes auto high beams when equipped with the
    8.4-inch Uconnect system with navigation
  • Wrangler Sport now offers LED headlamps and fog lamps as optional equipment
Highlights:
  • Jeep Wrangler’s 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine delivers 285 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque, available with ESS or mild-hybrid eTorque technology, and is engineered to provide a broad torque band
  • Available 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine, available with ESS or mild-hybrid eTorque technology, delivers 270 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque
  • Wrangler four-door models will offer the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 engine, rated at 260 horsepower and 442 lb.-ft. of torque, with ESS standard. A new eight-speed automatic transmission is standard and is designed to handle the increased torque output
  • Available on Sahara and Rubicon four-door models, Sky One-touch powertop allows occupants to open or close the Wrangler’s roof with a push of a button. The Sky One-touch powertop can be used at speeds up to 60 miles per hour (mph)
  • Best-in-class approach angle of 44 degrees, breakover angle of 27.8 degrees, departure angle of 37 degrees and a ground clearance of 10.9 inches help the Jeep Wrangler scale the toughest terrain
  • Wrangler models feature lightweight, high-strength aluminum doors, hinges, hood, fenders and windshield frame, as well as a magnesium swing gate, to help reduce weight and boost fuel economy
  • The capable driveline of the Sport and Sahara models include the Command-Trac NV241 part-time, two-speed transfer case, which features a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio and next-generation Dana front and rear axles. In addition, an optional Trac-Lok limited-slip rear differential provides extra torque and grip in low-traction environments, such as sand, mud or snow
  • The Wrangler Rubicon model features next-generation Dana front and rear heavy-duty axles, enhanced off-road rock rails and the Rock-Trac NV241 two-speed transfer case with a 4.0:1 low-range gear ratio. Wrangler Rubicon also includes electric front and rear locking differentials, a disconnecting front sway bar and 33-inch BF Goodrich KM All-Terrain tires, taking the Wrangler to the highest level of capability
  • Wrangler Sahara models offer a Selec-Trac two-speed transfer case with full-time four-wheel drive and a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio. This full-time two-speed transfer case is intuitive and allows the driver to set it and forget it, while constantly sending power to the front and rear wheels
  • Jeep Wrangler’s signature features include iconic round headlamps, seven-slot keystone grille, trapezoid wheel flares, removable doors, exposed hinges with the Torx tool-bit size stamped into it, a fold-down windshield and innovative removable tops that allow the Wrangler to retain the brand’s iconic appearance and function
  • Fourth-generation Uconnect system includes Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and the choice of a 7.0- and 8.4-inch touchscreen with pinch-and-zoom capability. A 5.0-inch screen is standard on Sport
  • Standard electronic stability control (ESC), electronic roll mitigation, trailer-sway control, Hill-start Assist and brake traction control are among more than 75 available safety and security features
Model Lineup
For 2020, the Wrangler lineup consists of four models:
  • Sport
  • Sport S
  • Sahara (four-door only)
  • Rubicon
Available Exterior Colors:
  • Bright White
  • Hella Yella
  • Granite Crystal
  • Billet Silver
  • Black
  • Firecracker Red
  • Punk’n Metallic
  • Mojito!
  • Sting Gray
  • Ocean Blue Metallic
  • Bikini
Available Interior Colors:
  • Black
  • Heritage Tan
Well look at that! Only think I don't understand is why the ESS seems to be an added feature/option. Our ESS quit working in our 2019 Rubicon and we couldn't be more elated!

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Why does nobody think the tow rating will go up when torque goes up 50% (and is available at lower rpms)? I'd lay money ($1) that it ends up even higher than the export market JLUs mentioned earlier in the thread.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why does nobody think the tow rating will go up when torque goes up 50% (and is available at lower rpms)? I'd lay money ($1) that it ends up even higher than the export market JLUs mentioned earlier in the thread.
Because the rating is not limited by this particular vehicle’s ability to pull the weight but rather it is limited by the ability to slow it down from 85mph and stabilize it at the same. None of the chassis, suspension, or braking components involved in said functions will be different. In fact, the curb weight will be higher so the ability to brake from 85mph will be even less, so slowing the same total load would require a lower tow rating.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Because the engine has not been the limiting factor in Wrangler’s low tow rating.

The 3.6 has tow ratings of 6,200 lbs in the WK2/WD and 7,000+ in the JT.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Because the rating is not limited by this particular vehicle’s ability to pull the weight but rather it is limited by the ability to slow it down from 85mph and stabilize it at the same. None of the chassis, suspension, or braking components involved in said functions will be different. In fact, the curb weight will be higher so the ability to brake from 85mph will be even less, so slowing the same total load would require a lower tow rating.
Because the engine has not been the limiting factor in Wrangler’s low tow rating.

The 3.6 has tow ratings of 6,200 lbs in the WK2/WD and 7,000+ in the JT.
Good answers. I should have known since I poo-poo others' reasons for the low tow rating.
Sponsored