Sponsored

2020 Diesel JL Wrangler officially announced, with 260hp / 442lb-ft and new 8 speed

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Somehow, I'm getting a bad feeling that FCA is trying to get rid of their Gen 2 Diesel engines by putting on the Wranglers instead of going with the Gen 3. What would be the difference between the the Gen 2 diesels from the 2014 era vs later this year?
Sponsored

JeepAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon Recon
I'm new to EcoDiesel. I assume this engine comes at a premium over other engines. Anybody have any speculation as to how much based on other vehicles?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Somehow, I'm getting a bad feeling that FCA is trying to get rid of their Gen 2 Diesel engines by putting on the Wranglers instead of going with the Gen 3. What would be the difference between the the Gen 2 diesels from the 2014 era vs later this year?
I thought the same initially but the torque and HP increases didnā€™t come from a simple ECU tune of the gen2. TFL reported back in ā€˜17 on the use of gen3 with upgraded turbo, injectors, and pistons to achieve those gains and the numbers havenā€™t changed since then.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm new to EcoDiesel. I assume this engine comes at a premium over other engines. Anybody have any speculation as to how much based on other vehicles?
Based on historical costs between the GC and 1500 with the 3.0, expect $4-5k if upgrading from 3.6/8AT and $5-6k if upgrading from 3.6/6MT.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s hard to be excited about the diesel when I read this:

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/08/ram-1500-ecodiesel-update-email/
80% different engine than that in the JLU. If you learn nothing else from VW and FCA, know that if they offer to ā€œfixā€ your vehicle to appease the EPA and pay you to do it, run. Donā€™t even think about it. I doubt youā€™ll see any similar situation with the gen3 because FCA will be out multiple billions when the dust settles on this last emissions fiasco and you can bet your last dollar they wonā€™t be playing in any shades of gray with the emissions software on the gen3. Will the gen3 be reliable otherwise? Time will tell but your odds will be a lot higher if you live in a place where you can delete the DPF, EGR and DEF systems.

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I've been waiting for this for over a decade. Our 2019 JLUR is only 6 months old. Once the new diesel has been on the street for a year or two, we'll pull the trigger on a new loaded JLUR diesel. Diesel in a jeep just makes sense. Maybe we'll keep both, maybe we'll sell the 2019, but we will have a diesel JLUR in 2-3 years.

Cheers,
James

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just purchased my JLUR 2 months ago. I told the sales person that I wanted to hold out for Diesel but there is no telling when they will come out. I said that It's just my luck that the diesels will come out just a couple months after I purchase this one.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80% different engine than that in the JLU. If you learn nothing else from VW and FCA, know that if they offer to ā€œfixā€ your vehicle to appease the EPA and pay you to do it, run. Donā€™t even think about it. I doubt youā€™ll see any similar situation with the gen3 because FCA will be out multiple billions when the dust settles on this last emissions fiasco and you can bet your last dollar they wonā€™t be playing in any shades of gray with the emissions software on the gen3. Will the gen3 be reliable otherwise? Time will tell but your odds will be a lot higher if you live in a place where you can delete the DPF, EGR and DEF systems.

I hope you're right. Is this diesel the Gen3 you're referring to? I haven't kept up on FCA's diesels.

If you're saying a brand new $50+K diesel Jeep needs to have the DPF, EGR and DEF deleted that's a huge gamble that will likely be a losing proposition for those who do it

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That is specifically why there is not a manual Charger any more. I think they stopped in 2013? If I remember correctly they had to make 2 different frames - one to fit each trans and it cost a lot of money.
They never offered a manual transmission in the LX-based 4-door Charger.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope you're right. Is this diesel the Gen3 you're referring to? I haven't kept up on FCA's diesels.

If you're saying a brand new $50+K diesel Jeep needs to have the DPF, EGR and DEF deleted that's a huge gamble that will likely be a losing proposition for those who do it
Losing in what way? Most of the issues that come up with modern diesels can be traced back to their emissions control systems one way or another. Get rid of them and reliability goes up. If youā€™re referring to the folks who run afoul of state or federal laws and get caught, thatā€™s a different story. Regardless, Iā€™ll be looking into an extended warranty for this rig for sure.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s

OilBurnerHoldOut

First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
I know the tow rating won't go up, but what about the payload?

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Losing in what way? Most of the issues that come up with modern diesels can be traced back to their emissions control systems one way or another. Get rid of them and reliability goes up. If youā€™re referring to the folks who run afoul of state or federal laws and get caught, thatā€™s a different story. Regardless, Iā€™ll be looking into an extended warranty for this rig for sure.
You said the diesel Jeep needs to have the DPF, EGR and DEF deleted. And I said deleting them is a huge gamble that will likely be a losing proposition for those who do it.

Losing in terms of:
* Warranty
* Smog/inspection
* Reliability

There may be a few who will pull one or more but it's unlikely that anything good will come from it given the 3 issues I've listed
Sponsored