Sponsored

2020 3.6 w/ out etorque or 2021 w/ etorque

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Hey everyone, new to the forum as I’m interested in trading in my JK for a JL .i was hoping you all can give me some advice.

After doing some research I saw that in the 2021’s if you want the 3.6 w/ an auto etorque is mandatory. I have no experience with etorque but to me it just looks like something else that will break eventually and that I can’t fix.

Should I seek out a new 2020 left over on a lot somewhere and avoid the etorque or should I not be so worried?

The only new 2020 2 door rubis are a few states away, would it be worth it to travel to avoid the etorque or should I just get a 2021 in my area and call it a day? Thanks for any help in advance
If cost is not a concern to you, I would recommend getting the eTorque because going to another state just got get a 2020 is not worth it in my opinion. I have a 3.6 without eTorque and absolutely love it. Those on this forum who have the 3.6 with eTorque like it even more. The eTorque is supposed to go better on your battery and make the Start/Stop process smoother. I would recommend it if you have $1500 to spare. If not, then I would highly recommend the Turbo 4 also (Without eTorque). That engine has also received rather rave reviews. I did not get the Turbo 4 because back when I ordered my Jeep (July 2019), not much data was out there to see how reliable is the Turbo 4. Now 18 months after my custom order (and 36 months after the release of the 4 cylinder motor), the Turbo 4 seems to be a good motor as there have been no major recalls or complaints.

Of course if you can find a 2020 Pentastar without eTorque in your local area, jump on it. That will be the best solution in your case.
Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Get the 2021 if for no other reason than to not have to deal with the crap aux battery. My 2018 3.6 went through 4 aux batteries in 22,000 miles.

I have a 2021 now with etorque and am very happy with it.

Last edited:

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
I am ordering a new JLR soon. Why is the etorque no longer available on the 4 cylinder? Also, if the 48 volt battery in the etorque fails, does it render the vehicle inoperable or will the vehicle continue to operate on the 12 volt battery alone?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Avoid unnecessary complexity. Counts for women, cars, computers, guns, food. And Jeeps.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The 48v eTorque system is covered by an 8 year/80,000 mile emissions warranty though, unlike the non-eTorque batteries.

The last time I looked at allmoparparts.com, the 48v batteries are down to about $1,100. My guess is they will continue to go down some in price as more eTorque systems are in use.

I have two 2.0 eTorque equipped JL's. The start/stop system is excellent and I've had no issues with either of the engines or eTorque systems.
For those looking, the part number for the eTorque battery is 68381513AA. Currently the lowest price on the first page of Google is $1025.

The ESS auxiliary battery (part number BBAUX101AA) is about $106. However reading the comments above indicates that some sort of ESS defeat device is also mandatory, which adds roughly another $100, potentially voids the warranty, and could prevent you from passing an emissions test.

As far as reliability concerns, so far there have been many more auxiliary battery failures than eTorque battery failures documented on this forum. In my opinion the weak point in the eTorque system appears to be inverter's heat capacity, along with the additional cooling system maintenance after the 8-year mark.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Would anyone know if a lift and tires will somehow void the etorque 8 year warranty? As much as I don’t want it it’s looking like i might jump for a 21’
If it doesn’t void that warranty
Thanks for all your help everyone, really appreciate it

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Would anyone know if a lift and tires will somehow void the etorque 8 year warranty? As much as I don’t want it it’s looking like i might jump for a 21’
If it doesn’t void that warranty
Thanks for all your help everyone, really appreciate it
No

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone who responded to this thread, I pulled the trigger on a new 2021 JL 2door rubicon with the 3.6 etorque motor. Dealership gave me an offer i couldn’t refuse. I hope you all were right! 😂

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
I am really confused! Does anyone know why Jeep decided to drop the etorque on the 2.0 turbo and then make it mandatory on the 3.6 auto? It seems if etorque is such a great benefit and ess with the small 12v battery sucks they would of kept etorque on the 2.0 turbo as well. I am ordering a new JLR soon and haven't found any plausible explanation for the switch.

Sponsored

north53overland

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR (incoming), 2013 Fiat 500T
We just ordered a '21 3.6 w/e-torque, the only way you can get it in '21 in Canada. That said we tested a used 3.6 WITHOUT etorque and it was so sluggish. If you are getting a choice, my opinion is I would choose WITH etorque.

We got the new 3.6 because we will be towing a new off-road trailer. If we were not towing, I suspect we would have done the 2.0T.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
What engine feel quicker and more responsive (fun to drive)? The 2.0 Turbo or the 3.6 WITH Etorque?
You'll never get everyone to agree on this, so I suggest taking a few test drives. I'm not sure how you define 'fun to drive', but both engines can be fun in different ways.

The 3.6 should provide more instantaneous throttle response off-idle since it is a N/A motor, however 2.0 has more torque until about it's redline. Additionally with equal gearing, the 2.0 will need to shift sooner when accelerating.

Check the 3.6 & 2.0 links in my signature for a compilation of torque curves.

Gaspare

First Name
Gaspare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JEEP JL RUBICON EXTREM RECON
Has anyone have a noise in there engine. Went to dealer replace 3 belts AC pulley and a harmonic pulley. I will upload a video.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
speaking of complications on the E torque what about the underneath the jee cooling equipment or the huge take up space 40V battery under the back seat! All that for a half a tire turn boost?

Biggest problem for the aux batteries is the big deal of how to find it to swap for a new one!!! Got to take half the front end apart and have spare parts on hand in case ya bust something doing it!

The ESS in my Cherokee TrailHawk is one big battery and works fine, if you like ESS? However that stopped working, the ESS about a year ago and not caring for it I left it not working and actually gain close to 2 MPG w/o it!!

Well, I'm as you can tell not a huge fan of any ESS and especially the huge water cooled Batteries...anyway you go, good luck!

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored