2020 3.6 w/ out etorque or 2021 w/ etorque

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Hey everyone, new to the forum as I’m interested in trading in my JK for a JL .i was hoping you all can give me some advice.

After doing some research I saw that in the 2021’s if you want the 3.6 w/ an auto etorque is mandatory. I have no experience with etorque but to me it just looks like something else that will break eventually and that I can’t fix.

Should I seek out a new 2020 left over on a lot somewhere and avoid the etorque or should I not be so worried?

The only new 2020 2 door rubis are a few states away, would it be worth it to travel to avoid the etorque or should I just get a 2021 in my area and call it a day? Thanks for any help in advance
Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Ours is the 3.6L with e-torque. We ordered for a 2020 without it but ours got pushed back because of COVID and turned into a 2021 order so we ended up with it. Now that we've had it for 2,500+ miles, I've VERY glad we ended up with it. It makes auto start/stop much smoother and eliminates the small ESS battery that is giving everyone so many problems. Knowing what I know now, I'm glad we ended up with it and I would absolutely order it again.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Ours is the 3.6L with e-torque. We ordered for a 2020 without it but ours got pushed back because of COVID and turned into a 2021 order so we ended up with it. Now that we've had it for 2,500+ miles, I've VERY glad we ended up with it. It makes auto start/stop much smoother and eliminates the small ESS battery that is giving everyone so many problems. Knowing what I know now, I'm glad we ended up with it and I would absolutely order it again.
Is there other benefits besides the smoother start/stop? I planned on disabling that if possible. Forgive me if I’m wrong I’m just not even entirely sure what etorque is/does

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Is there other benefits besides the smoother start/stop? I planned on disabling that if possible. Forgive me if I’m wrong I’m just not even entirely sure what etorque is/does
It is supposed to also smooth out transmission shifts and help with initial torque. If you ask Jeep, they say it has a significant effect on these things while other folks say that it really doesn’t do much of anything.

That said, I test drove a 2.0L with e-torque and a 3.6L non e-torque before we ordered earlier this spring. I feel there’s a pretty big difference between the 3.6L I drove and this one with the e-torque system.

I think it does make a difference. Is it $1,500 worth of difference? That’s definitely debatable.

Scott2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ
I agree with everything Aaron said! Same experience here.

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Get the 3.6 with eTorque and don’t look back.
I over analyze everything and went back and forth on this for weeks. The RAM has been using the 3.6 with eTorque for a few years and that combo has been put on Wards top 10 list of engines 2 years in a row.
You won’t need to turn the start/stop off either, you won’t even know the engine turns off and then back on unless you watch the rpms, it’s that good!
Besides start/stop feature, the system helps move the vehicle from a dead stop, but we are talking like half of a tire rotation, you wouldn’t notice this benefit in real-time.
Order exactly how you want it and enjoy!

Ed Pursell

First Name
-Ed-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys- 3.6 Pentastar,8 speed Auto, Selec-Trac transfer case
Occupation
Supervisor- MRO Buyer Maintenance- Pet food Mfg.
My built to order 2021 Willys I got Nov. 13th has the e-torque,3.6, 8 speed Auto (sweet), Select Trac transfer case option, and is a totally different beast compared to my 2016 Willys with the same 3.6 and 5 speed auto. The e-torque system really isn’t noticeable, so I’ve been keeping the selection on. It’s just something different, but as we upgrade to different “models” this is what we need to deal with. My 2021 Willys sure beats my 2012 JKU and my 2016 JK Willys, lots of different minor improvements including interior features, LED’s !Go for it! Just my opinion Guys,
!

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Hey everyone, new to the forum as I’m interested in trading in my JK for a JL .i was hoping you all can give me some advice.

After doing some research I saw that in the 2021’s if you want the 3.6 w/ an auto etorque is mandatory. I have no experience with etorque but to me it just looks like something else that will break eventually and that I can’t fix.

Should I seek out a new 2020 left over on a lot somewhere and avoid the etorque or should I not be so worried?

The only new 2020 2 door rubis are a few states away, would it be worth it to travel to avoid the etorque or should I just get a 2021 in my area and call it a day? Thanks for any help in advance
I went with the 2020 2 door Rubi with no eTorque for all the reasons you mention. I even went to the next state to get it!

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
There’s about 898 components on the 2020 JL that can fail, the 2021’s have 899.
Does it really matter?

Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
I don’t know how long you plan on keeping it but the little ESS battery is about $130 and the 48v is $1,570.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know how long you plan on keeping it but the little ESS battery is about $130 and the 48v is $1,570.
The 48v eTorque system is covered by an 8 year/80,000 mile emissions warranty though, unlike the non-eTorque batteries.

The last time I looked at allmoparparts.com, the 48v batteries are down to about $1,100. My guess is they will continue to go down some in price as more eTorque systems are in use.

I have two 2.0 eTorque equipped JL's. The start/stop system is excellent and I've had no issues with either of the engines or eTorque systems.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I mean.... i have the 3.6L with the ESS none etorque. zero complaints as i have my tazer in to keep ESS OFF. that is the worst BS i have ever heard of. NO REASON to shut an engine on and off at every light, hold up, etc. does it save a penny here and there but thats it... pennies

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
You can still get a 2021 non-etorque 3.6l and save $3k, just get a manual transmission. That's what I did, and I am adding the smartstartstop to bypass the ESS

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I debated this too. I ended up ordering the 21 w/ e torque. Glad I did. Much smoother shifts and start/stop then the 2020s I test drove. Stop/start doesnt bother me at all. Manual trans was not an option for me, no way I would daily drive a manual.
Sponsored