Sponsored

2020 3.6 owner thinking of getting 3.0 diesel ??

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR 24 VW Tiguan Rline 20+21 Tacoma TRD
I picked up a 2020 3.6 back in May of 2020. Just took it in for its first oil change today at 3500 miles. I have been putting together a list of things I want to do but have been holding off for whatever reason. No mods done as of todays date.

Saw a 2021 diesel sitting on the lot with the same specs as my 2020 except color.

Who has thought about the same trade and has anyone done it??
Sponsored

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Only 3500 miles over nearly a year's driving? Unless you will be working the diesel harder you'll be asking for problems. The new diesels (I own one(not a Jeep) plus a couple older diesels) have problems unless they are worked hard enough to get them good and hot for a longer period of time. If they spend a lot of time idling or just at low rpms the soot builds up rapidly in the diesel particulate filter.

OP
OP
sweet88gt

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only 3500 miles over nearly a year's driving? Unless you will be working the diesel harder you'll be asking for problems. The new diesels (I own one(not a Jeep) plus a couple older diesels) have problems unless they are worked hard enough to get them good and hot for a longer period of time. If they spend a lot of time idling or just at low rpms the soot builds up rapidly in the diesel particulate filter.
The Jeep has been my back and forth vehicle to work. I have yet to be able to enjoy it due to some family issues. Unknown when I actually will be able to at this time.
With the diesel it seems like it would be able to make long trips to destinations and modifications with ease. I would like to be able to get out west to see the country even from sunny FL.

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
Don’t get caught up with the buzz word “diesel”. I owned them before in trucks. They are great if you need one to tow. But I see little reason to pay the extra price Jeep wants plus pay more for fuel. The gains just don’t exist for 99% of drivers/owners.

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '09 Tundra 5.7 4x4, '21 Prius
Occupation
Soils engineering/geology
Don't get one if you don't want to smile again after hitting the throttle.
Don't get one if you like to regear after adding 37s, oh and still smile when on the throttle.
Don't get one if you like to put it in low range when going up a dirt road.

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
My JLUR will be 3 years old in April 35K miles (paid for) the pros do not outweigh the cons for me with the diesel. My main interest would be the better MPG, but for the more expensive running costs, gas, maintenance, etc., the 3.6 works better for me, different strokes for different folks...

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon
I am personally very happy with the Diesel. I test drove other models but fell in love with the Diesel once I drove it. My wife really enjoys it too. Is it worth the extra money maybe not but this is my first jeep and wanted what I wanted so price of admission. I really love the stock look myself so no lifts etc for me, just small mods for me. I love the power and in 4L this thing crawls like a beast. Mine seems to have some getup and go off the line when I get on it. I have put on just under 4k miles since late November. Best vehicle I bought for me anyway.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
TrailRecon got a diesel recently. He uploaded videos with the pros and cons of the diesel vs the V6. There’s a lot he likes; a few he doesn’t.

I wouldn’t do it.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
You don’t seem to drive much, and if that’s true, and if your typical trips are short runs you don’t want a diesel. I’ve got a couple of them down love them, BUT I live in a rural area, and a trip to town is >15 miles each way. If you’re driving 3 or 4 miles and shutting her down, you don’t want a diesel. You’ll clog the DPF and the emissions system will give you fits. They need to get nice and warm and RUN. My Son lives 3 miles from base. When he bought a Gladiator he was asking about a diesel-I told him the same thing. He got a 3.6 and never looked back.

OP
OP
sweet88gt

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I enjoy the 3.6. The things I want to do like driving across country and things like 37s made me think I should have waited.
At this time though short trips with long garage times are in my future

Sponsored

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
I picked up a 2020 3.6 back in May of 2020. Just took it in for its first oil change today at 3500 miles. I have been putting together a list of things I want to do but have been holding off for whatever reason. No mods done as of todays date.

Saw a 2021 diesel sitting on the lot with the same specs as my 2020 except color.

Who has thought about the same trade and has anyone done it??
I test drove all 3 engine types... that diesel had me immediately. I now have around 1200 miles and impressed with this engine every time I drive it

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The low usage issue has been brought up many times on this forum. The majority of us think that it's an old wives tail, or if once true, technology has evolved past that shortfall. For me, the only repercussion seems to be the the active regeneration runs roughly once per 200 miles - to no ill effect. And...if the idling was previously an issue, why did we always see long-haul truckers idling for hours on end at truck stops?

edit: virtually none of the diesel owners on this forum bought their EcoDiesels for cost savings. We bought them for the TORQUE, and we were not disappointed.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The Jeep has been my back and forth vehicle to work. I have yet to be able to enjoy it due to some family issues. Unknown when I actually will be able to at this time.
With the diesel it seems like it would be able to make long trips to destinations and modifications with ease. I would like to be able to get out west to see the country even from sunny FL.
Your 3.6l will be able to get from gas station to gas station out west just fine. Even from sunny FL.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Don't get one if you don't want to smile again after hitting the throttle.
Don't get one if you like to regear after adding 37s, oh and still smile when on the throttle.
Don't get one if you like to put it in low range when going up a dirt road.
Not sure of your past experiences, but after over 30 years as a diesel mechanic, I enjoy the hell out of my 2.0 turbo on 4.25" of lift, 38x13.5's, and factory 4.10's. After 2 years of ownership, I still take the long way to prolong the smiling.

My first few dozen personal vehicles were diesel, but I wouldn't have anything to do with them now.

I see a lot of people caught up in old stories of 4 and 6bt cummin swaps. It's a vastly different world now. No sulfur in the fuel, which provided the necessary lubrication and cooling for the high pressure end of the injection system. Overcomplicated exhaust systems that choke the very motor they're attached to.

Smile? So much that my cheeks hurt on the ride to the bank to deposit money charged for repairs that were directly created by the above mentioned "improvements".

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The low usage issue has been brought up many times on this forum. The majority of us think that it's an old wives tail, or if once true, technology has evolved past that shortfall. For me, the only repercussion seems to be the the active regeneration runs roughly once per 200 miles - to no ill effect. And...if the idling was previously an issue, why did we always see long-haul truckers idling for hours on end at truck stops?

edit: virtually none of the diesel owners on this forum bought their EcoDiesels for cost savings. We bought them for the TORQUE, and we were not disappointed.
Idling is more of a modern diesel issue. In the best of situations, it's choked by its own emissions system. Idling just amplifies it. Only issue with older diesel Idling, was wet stacking. The negative affect was some extra smoke once getting underway, which would last until the egt's came up and cooked it off.

As for torque, that's what steered me to the 2.0 turbo. A quite noticeable increase over the v6, but without the physical weight of the diesel.
Sponsored