Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2016 Porsche Macan Turbo
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just test drove 2 Rubicons back to back, one with the 2.0 non etorque, the other 3.6 penstar. Here is the definitive difference, 2.0 felt quicker from launch, but not demonstrably. Now, once at say, 50mph and you go to accelerate to say 60+ to pass a vehicle, the 3.6 was seamless, the 2.0 had a significant hesitation(1-2 seconds) once gas peddle is pressed as it felt, at least for me, that it was downshifting. I repeated this at least 8 times, with exactly the same results. It was almost as if the gearing of the Rubicon, was misaligned to the power curve of Turbo. Frankly, It was not enjoyable and I came away thinking if it were between the two engines, it’s a no brainer to go with the 3.6. Btw, I currently drive a 2013 2 dr Sahara, 3.6 and I absolutely hate the engine. Not sure what changes were made, but the 2020 3.6 on a much heavier 4 door Rubicon is vastly superior to my current ride, I was impressed......thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep life

Jeep life

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not exactly, there's a ton on here regarding 2.0 w/ e tourque, haven't seen much on non e tourqe variant of 2020 rubi

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

JCJR824

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
I have the 2.0 Non E torque in a 2020 Rubicon. No lag anywhere in the powerband. This includes from a stop and when downshifting to pass. Also, a test drive won't give you a great idea of the shifting characteristics. The transmissions on these new vehicles learn as you drive them. Both motors are great so it is splitting hairs. For me, the 2.0 was more powerful and got better economy.

Sponsored

tqqest

First Name
Tad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR and 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad Premium
Occupation
Rertired
Just test drove 2 Rubicons back to back, one with the 2.0 non etorque, the other 3.6 penstar. Here is the definitive difference, 2.0 felt quicker from launch, but not demonstrably. Now, once at say, 50mph and you go to accelerate to say 60+ to pass a vehicle, the 3.6 was seamless, the 2.0 had a significant hesitation(1-2 seconds) once gas peddle is pressed as it felt, at least for me, that it was downshifting. I repeated this at least 8 times, with exactly the same results. It was almost as if the gearing of the Rubicon, was misaligned to the power curve of Turbo. Frankly, It was not enjoyable and I came away thinking if it were between the two engines, it’s a no brainer to go with the 3.6. Btw, I currently drive a 2013 2 dr Sahara, 3.6 and I absolutely hate the engine. Not sure what changes were made, but the 2020 3.6 on a much heavier 4 door Rubicon is vastly superior to my current ride, I was impressed......thoughts?

I agree with your assessment of the two engines. Last week my wife and I also test drove 2 2020 JLURs, one 2.0, and one 3.6.
The 2.0 was very sporty once spooled up, but neither of us liked the non-linear power delivery. Off the line, the turbo lag is not too bad, and the kick in the pants as it spools up is VERY fun. On the highway at 65, as long as the throttle was held steady, the downshift and acceleration was great. But, if you had let off the throttle at all, the turbo lag was very noticeable!

The other thing we both commented on was the sound of the engine. Neither of us liked the sound of the 4 banger and the whine of the turbo. I drive a diesel motorhome and a Ram diesel truck so i am used to some turbo lag and turbo sound, but the 2.0 sound was not satisfying to us. That, along with a quick quiet conversation with our service writer that has serviced our JKUR for the last 7 years, led us to buy the 3.6, which we did that day.

So far I love the Jeep and all the wonderful improvements over our old JK. I really went into this assuming we would get the 2.0 since we are at 5,000 ft elevation and the turbo loses less power up here. But the steady linear power delivery of the 3.6 won us over.

Regards,
Tad

Last edited:

JCJR824

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Everyone comments on 2.0 performance without even owning one. My fully broken in 2.0 doesn’t have any turbo lag. A test drive is not a very good indicator of how the vehicle will perform in the real world. I am not saying the 3.6 is a bad motor but the 2.0 is just all around better.

OP
OP
Jeep life

Jeep life

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone comments on 2.0 performance without even owning one. My fully broken in 2.0 doesn’t have any turbo lag. A test drive is not a very good indicator of how the vehicle will perform in the real world. I am not saying the 3.6 is a bad motor but the 2.0 is just all around better.
I'm only sharing my 1 time experience, not passing judgment. So you own a non etorque 2020 Rubicon? I am contemplating waiting to also test drive 3.0 eco diesel due to arrive at my local dealership soon. My biggest issue with my current 2013 v6 penstar is lack of passing thrust from around 55 to 70. Thx for your reply

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Do you also own a 3.6? Seems like you might be guilty of exactly what you commented on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep life

Jeep life

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yes I do, from 2013 & hate it
I was responding to the person I quoted. Evan so, your 2013 is not the same as the current one with the current transmission. Many describe the difference as "night and day".

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
I believe there was an update to the 3.6 at the 2014-15 models that updated the top of the engine.

I have owned both and can definitely say i prefer the 3.6. Long term reliability is better with the 3.6 as well. Most of FCAs vehicles have the 3.6 option meaning there is more part availability as well.

Forced induction by nature wears out engines quicker than naturally aspirated engines.

Just a few items to consider.

OP
OP
Jeep life

Jeep life

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I believe there was an update to the 3.6 at the 2014-15 models that updated the top of the engine.

I have owned both and can definitely say i prefer the 3.6. Long term reliability is better with the 3.6 as well. Most of FCAs vehicles have the 3.6 option meaning there is more part availability as well.

Forced induction by nature wears out engines quicker than naturally aspirated engines.

Just a few items to consider.
Thank you for the clear, concise, non emotional response, great info. I've owned jeeps starting with a 98' 4.0 wrangler, to one of the 1st 4 doors in 2007(hated it), to my current 2013 3.6, definitely underpowered for my 35's & 2.5 teraflex lift.....so now I'll be buying a 2020 Rubicon jlu & am leaning towards 3.6, so well improved w/8 speed transmission. Lastly its unfortunate to see the defensive nature of some on here if your experience contradicts theirs. Appreciate the reply

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase