2019's with ACC EWWWWW

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
For those who have ACC with the 8AT, how does it perform in stop and go traffic on highways/freeways? Thanks.
Not great. If you come to a complete stop, it'll give you about a 2 second warning to put your foot on the brake (at which time it cancels ACC). If you don't, you'll just run into the car in front of you.

It does fine for adjusting to cars in front of you that vary their speed a little bit, but for stop-and-go not so much.
Sponsored

piloto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3S2000944S
Not great. If you come to a complete stop, it'll give you about a 2 second warning to put your foot on the brake (at which time it cancels ACC). If you don't, you'll just run into the car in front of you.

It does fine for adjusting to cars in front of you that vary their speed a little bit, but for stop-and-go not so much.
Good to know. If it's a less than 2 sec stop, or a near but not fully stop as you sometimes get in bumper to bumper traffic, is it relatively smooth? My reference point would be a modern Mazda's ACC, for what it's worth.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Good to know. If it's a less than 2 sec stop, or a near but not fully stop as you sometimes get in bumper to bumper traffic, is it relatively smooth? My reference point would be a modern Mazda's ACC, for what it's worth.
It's the only ACC I've used, so no frame of reference. It's pretty good if you don't come up on traffic that's moving way slower than you're going. Personally I like to slow down gradually, the ACC tends to wait longer and hit the brakes harder than I would do myself. Not terrible, but leaves a little to be desired.

Edit: I realized I kinda indirectly answered your question. I would say it is quite good in "slow-and-go" traffic, very smooth. If the person in front of you takes off like a bat outta hell though, the ACC will try to keep up! Not full acceleration, but pretty spirited if you're not ready for it.

Last edited:

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I feel that it is on the brakes and gas back and forth in stop and go instead of trying to maintain a constant speed. I was looking forward to using it in stop-and-go, but I find it more disruptive than me just doing it.

zingat

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Jeepster !
Vehicle Showcase
For those who have ACC with the 8AT, how does it perform in stop and go traffic on highways/freeways? Thanks.
I love it. So far ... it performs reliably when used at default sensitivity settings, and as per manufacturer specifications for acceptable performance and object detection (see manual).
Glad I got it in my JLUR. Also, I have no issues with how it looks from outside or inside. It doesn’t hinder my view and you don’t realize it’s in there once you start enjoying your Jeep.

IMHO ... OPs comment is hyper-exaggerated.

Sponsored

TinyCadon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plymouth Volare
I was able to get a couple of pictures of the Wrangler with & without the ACC unit and then paste them side by side to get a better idea of what it looks like...
WithWithOutACC.JPG

macycat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I was able to get a couple of pictures of the Wrangler with & without the ACC unit and then paste them side by side to get a better idea of what it looks like...
WithWithOutACC.JPG
This picture makes it look worse than it really is, at least if you're not really tall. Most will have a line of sight lower than the camera angle shown here.

This has been discussed extensively earlier in this thread.

AMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG, BMW G650GS
I'm 6'3" so my line of sight is pretty high, and I don't even think about the ACC box. It's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

TinyCadon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plymouth Volare
This picture makes it look worse than it really is, at least if you're not really tall. Most will have a line of sight lower than the camera angle shown here.

This has been discussed extensively earlier in this thread.
The line of sight is at eye level, it is what it is. Whether or not it's been "discussed" extensively is irrelevant. No one did a side by side comparison in a single photo & I simply posted it up there so anyone who can not visualize it perfectly in their head with words & opinions would be able to judge for themselves.

My 1st post & here I thought I was being helpful... silly me!

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
It works very well. I'm still hovering my foot over the brake pedal just in case but I've used it during highway traffic and most convenienntly during tunnel toll traffic. It does have a feature where it will warn you and eventually shut off if you are in stop & go for too long, and its not a terribly long timer (can't recall exactly how long) but just tapping the gas to "manual override" gently can reset that.

IMHO it is very smooth at decelerating and slightly jumpier at acceleration. You can set the "follow range" to a variety of distances the least which is about 3 car lengths. It will start slowing down once the car in front of you is about six to eight car lengths in front.

Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!

How would it run into the car in front of you if you have ACC? By default, that means you also have the FCW Active Braking, which would stop you from hitting anything in front of you.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Like the standard cruise control it's not advised to use it stop, and go traffic. It just becomes a PIA IMHO. My wife's car has the ACC, and I knew that any Jeep I bought would have to have that option. It's great, and as another said it takes a lot of stress out of driving. One of my problems is I find myself just riding along, and if I'm not paying attention I'll be traveling 5-10 under the speed limit because the car in front of me is going slower. :)

Also, if anyone wonders how the "forward warning" system works, it works damn good. A car in front of me was turning right at a stoplight, and as he started I started. Then the nitwit just hit his brakes, and stopped. Before I could get my foot on the brake pedal, the forward warning system stopped the Jeep in it's tracks.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Won’t be long before all cars have ACC. Sit back, relax and have one less worry. That fool in front of you.
Sponsored