Sponsored

2019 Wrangler Limited JL issue -- won't start, nothing but emergency lights blinking

Powerkat

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited 2.0L
When out to start, nothing but emergency lights blinking, dask black. Jumped it, started right away, drove it around. Shut it off, not juice to start but dask lights up.

Is there an issue with the auxillary battery. This part in new to me.

Jim
Sponsored

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
You just need a new battery... When your second, smaller battery is dead it will just deactivate the annoying start-stop feature and give you a message about that on the dash, but it won't affect anything else.

P.S. I have been driving with a dead aux battery for almost 2 years now, and I couldn't be happier! Lol

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.

Yes and yes.

You can get to the auxiliary battery through the engine compartment or the front fender. I recommend going in through the engine compartment; it’s a little more time consuming but you don’t have to worry about breaking anything or replacing plastic rivets.

Set 3 hours aside. Go to O’Reillys, get two of their Super Start batteries. Then home, open the hood, remove the main battery, the fuse box, the auxiliary battery cover, replace the auxiliary battery, put the cover and the fuse box back. Hook everything up. Mount the new main battery, hook it up, close the hood. You will be good to go.

There are YouTube videos showing how to do it.

Good luck.

OP
OP

Powerkat

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited 2.0L
Shouldnt the battery last longer than 2 years?

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
Shouldnt the battery last longer than 2 years?
Mine went dead two weeks after taking the Jeep home, and the aux battery a few weeks after that... There are many reports of the batteries the factory put in the JLs failing prematurely.

It might have something to do with the so-called smart alternator that, to my understanding, only maintains about a 1/4 full charge on the battery...

Btw, I have heard of many incidences where the dealer did warranty the battery, as it's a known issue.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The batteries are covered by the 3yesr 36,000 mile warranty, but they are not good batteries. I wouldn’t want another Mopar battery even for free.

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
The batteries are covered by the 3yesr 36,000 mile warranty, but they are not good batteries. I wouldn’t want another Mopar battery even for free.
Agreed. I got an Odyssey Performance series next, but have since put in an XS Power battery...

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
When out to start, nothing but emergency lights blinking, dask black. Jumped it, started right away, drove it around. Shut it off, not juice to start but dask lights up.

Is there an issue with the auxillary battery. This part in new to me.

Jim
Were your batteries run down from the emergency lights being left on? Try charging the batteries and see what happens.
Sponsored