WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The issue becomes this:

When you modify the vehicle using aftermarket parts, even in a lease, there are restrictions that will void certain maintenance things that would have been normally covered under the lease agreement.

I saw a thread in the build section where this guy totally overhauled his lease JLUR and I was just thinking in my mind “I wonder what kind of $h!t the dealership is giving him every time he is bringing it in for the service calls” lol

Also, another worry is mile/miles/miles..

Try to go for the 3 years 20k. They say they can’t do it but they can cause Ive done it with Toyota in the past.
Restrictions that will void certain maintenance things? Like what?

The factory warranty applies to all new JL Wranglers regardless of whether you pay cash, finance, or lease the vehicle. There is zero difference.

As far as how the dealer treats you, why do they care? They didn't put a dime into the deal. The vehicle is either paid for, leased by a 3rd party, or financed with a 3rd party. The dealer gets credit for selling another new Jeep plus profit from it. They don't give a rat's rear end. They treat everybody the same when you come in for service. Heck, 99.9% of the time the service dept. probably has no idea which Jeeps are leased and which aren't when they roll into the garage.

As far as mileage goes, the odometer reading never comes into the discussion UNLESS you turn the vehicle in and walk away at the end of the lease. Almost nobody does that. Most people either buy the vehicle and then keep it or sell it, OR they trade the vehicle in on something else. In either of those cases, your odometer reading means nothing. All that matters is the value of the Jeep.

Wranglers can lease really well, especially the Sports.

The Wrangler is one of the few vehicles that you buy with little money down and still not be upside down when you're ready to get rid of it.
Exactly, which is why it baffles me when people say the Wrangler is a terrible vehicle to lease. Apparently those people don't know how leases work.

The Wrangler is A) extremely expensive compared to other vehicles it competes against and B) holds it's resale value better than any vehicle in America. For those two reasons, the Wrangler is the BEST vehicle for leasing.

The residual on mine was 72% on a 48 month lease! That's insane!
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@WXman

Modifying any vehicle with true aftermarket parts, believe it or not, in most cases, drops the residual value. That’s why it is best to remove aftermarket items before returning it if you do choose at your lease end. Of course dealers may not care while you’re in the actual agreement (one of mine did).

If you returned your Jeep to the dealership at the end of the lease and they accepted it, and I saw it, I would walk right by it on the lot because I don’t want a Jeep that has tons of aftermarket parts on it. It would make me feel as if it has been driven too hard.

The vast majority of lease agreements require the car be returned in the exact condition it was sold to you in, except for "normal wear and tear". If you modify the vehicle WITHOUT their permission, it gives them the rights not only to keep the money you placed into the modified vehicle, but charge you outrageous fees for "their need to restore" the vehicle. I don’t want to play “mother may I?” with a dealership.

No one at least I don’t think in this thread has stated that a wrangler is a “horrible” vehicle to lease. They have great residuals, I believe I’ve even said it.

I looked at leasing myself as the payments were attractive but when I asked my dealer about modifications he said “while they are covered under similar (not exactly the same if you opt for different levels which you can only do with a purchase) warranties if you plan on doing a lot of modifications it would be best to purchase if you can afford it.” I can afford it so it wasn’t an issue for me.

As I’ve stated, I’m not knocking leases as I’ve done it before. While you finance or you lease, the vehicle isn’t yours technically. The Jeep belongs to the bank of you finance it or the dealership if you lease it.

At the end of the day though, I don’t have to worry about anything in 2-3 years. (Am I going to keep it? Am I going to sell it? Am I going to trade it in? How many miles am I over? Will they charge me for this dent? Do I need to return this to stock?)

It’s just easier in my experience financing it if you can handle the payments.

Last edited:

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
While this was written in 2008 it still holds true on most leases today.

https://leaseguy.crestcapital.com/general-finance/leasing-a-car-then-dont-be-as-stupid-as-i-was/

Not everyone’s lease agreement will be identical to yours. There is no “standard” lease agreement regardless of what your salesman tells you.

Just be safe and make good decisions. It would be best to bring your lease into the dealership where you got it and at least ask if you didn’t at the time of signing. Also, remember as the article states, don’t believe everything you hear at the dealership. Odds are the salesman that told you you could won’t be there in 3 years..

Jeepchrysler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jk
So my 2019 Sahara is in!!!
Picking it up tomorrow and wanted to lease.
I like to lease as it gives options in three years. For example if the car is in a crash and the carfax gets a ding chrysler is holding that risk of reduced value.
All that said I was quoted a MF of .00298 (a 7% interest rate) and a 66% res for 10k miles.
I can’t see how that’s a good deal although it is perhaps telling on what they are predicting for residual given the much higher price.
Question is has anyone else been quoted awful lease rates??

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
While this was written in 2008 it still holds true on most leases today.

https://leaseguy.crestcapital.com/general-finance/leasing-a-car-then-dont-be-as-stupid-as-i-was/

Not everyone’s lease agreement will be identical to yours. There is no “standard” lease agreement regardless of what your salesman tells you.

Just be safe and make good decisions. It would be best to bring your lease into the dealership where you got it and at least ask if you didn’t at the time of signing. Also, remember as the article states, don’t believe everything you hear at the dealership. Odds are the salesman that told you you could won’t be there in 3 years..
All true. Bu this article makes no sense. He should have just got a loan, bought out the residual, and sold it himself or traded it in. I have done that myself when I went over on mileage. I understand that financially it would be worse than buying but it's better than paying a bunch of penalties.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
All true. Bu this article makes no sense. He should have just got a loan, bought out the residual, and sold it himself or traded it in. I have done that myself when I went over on mileage. I understand that financially it would be worse than buying but it's better than paying a bunch of penalties.
Agreed, with that much invested it would have made much more sense to purchase and private party it.. But, he may not have been in a situation at his lease end to do that.. Ya never know, things change during the course of a lease but the uptick to the purchase route is that things might change during your payoff but ultimately you're not forced with decisions in 2-3 years. For example if I get into a lease and something happens to me financially where I can still afford the payment but no longer obtain loans, at the end of the lease ill be screwed (which may have been that guys case). Alternatively, if something were to happen like that on a purchase during the middle of my repayments it wouldn't really matter..

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
I like to lease as it gives options in three years. For example if the car is in a crash and the carfax gets a ding chrysler is holding that risk of reduced value.
All that said I was quoted a MF of .00298 (a 7% interest rate) and a 66% res for 10k miles.
I can’t see how that’s a good deal although it is perhaps telling on what they are predicting for residual given the much higher price.
Same rate and residual that I received when I inquired on my Rubicon. I ended up putting a little more than a 1/3rd cash down and financing it through AAA at 3%. Nice dent in the piggy bank but I ended up with the payment I wanted.

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
If you have Tier-1 credit then you should have gotten .00209 or at least that's what it was in October. Of course a greedy dealer can and will mark up MF. It's another component of a lease negotiations.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Agreed, with that much invested it would have made much more sense to purchase and private party it.. But, he may not have been in a situation at his lease end to do that.. Ya never know, things change during the course of a lease but the uptick to the purchase route is that things might change during your payoff but ultimately you're not forced with decisions in 2-3 years. For example if I get into a lease and something happens to me financially where I can still afford the payment but no longer obtain loans, at the end of the lease ill be screwed (which may have been that guys case). Alternatively, if something were to happen like that on a purchase during the middle of my repayments it wouldn't really matter..
Agreed. That is definitely one of the advantages of a loan.

And one of the reasons you shouldn't use leasing to get a vehicle you can't afford even if the payments are low. You should lease if you can afford to buy it but leasing makes more sense for you.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. That is definitely one of the advantages of a loan.

And one of the reasons you shouldn't use leasing to get a vehicle you can't afford even if the payments are low. You should lease if you can afford to buy it but leasing makes more sense for you.
Absolutely brutha!
Sponsored