Sponsored

2019 unlimited rubicon battery dead after 4-5 days sitting??

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. I never thought about it before. My Jeep sits for days at a time and I have had battery issues in the past. It will come out today. Thanks again.
Not sure if you garage your JL or park close to an electric outlet but if you let your JL sit for more then say 14 days without use, you might want to start using a Battery Tender during those periods where the JL sits and sits without use. You can hook up a $6.00 quick battery disconnect cable and then hooking up your Battery Tender takes a second. Parasitic draw is a real issue with the JL.... running the JL's batteries down is detrimental to the JL. Sure the JL may start after sitting there for weeks but...

Good your Fob is coming out. You can easily place it in a Faraday Bag and leave it in the JL if you want. When I Sky Dive, do the ocean or whatever, I put the fob in the JL in a Faraday Bag. I keep a unchipped door key stashed outside of the JL. This way I do not have to carry the Fob when I'm doing certain activities. I can just unlock the door and retrieve the Fob from the Faraday Bag.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@dalema

Yes, Proximity can be a culprit lets say. I alluded to that in an earlier post.

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. I never thought about it before. My Jeep sits for days at a time and I have had battery issues in the past. It will come out today. Thanks again.
Unrelated to electrical, but ... In Chicago area. We have nightly burglary and auto theft crews pillaging the suburbs looking for cars with fobs left in them to steal. Also, if you have a garage opener in your driveway parked car, do not keep car keys in your garage and certainly make sure the interior door is locked!

OP
OP

Red Rubicon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I checked parasite draw this morning..... 360 miliamps. Rubi had not been run since yesterday morning.????? I saw on a google search that 50 miliamps is a normal high limit for a vehicle

Sponsored

OP
OP

Red Rubicon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I agree with others: your dealer is full of shit. But then, what’s new, right?

I have a 2018 JLU Sahara with 4,000 miles and the V6; has been sitting in the garage for weeks on end without problem. The longest it sat parked was during the lockdown for 2.5 weeks; it started right up. I just drove it again yesterday: ESS works fine and all.

Do you have the 2.0T or the V6? From what I can gather, the electrical on the 2.0T seems more problematic, especially with eTorque.

Hope you get it resolved.
Mine is a 2.0 turbo, mild hybrid. Can't seem to find what the acceptable drawdown is??? Darn!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is a 2.0 turbo, mild hybrid. Can't seem to find what the acceptable drawdown is??? Darn!
If you search the forum you will find posts by owners of the 2.0T and eTorque motors complaining about a dead battery. Some times as soon as they drove off the lot; others lost power while the vehicle was in motion. From what I recall, the most common diagnosis was a defective charging harness for the auxiliary battery.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I checked parasite draw this morning..... 360 miliamps. Rubi had not been run since yesterday morning.????? I saw on a google search that 50 miliamps is a normal high limit for a vehicle
Are you letting it sit with the hood open? If you open a door or the hood before you test, you could be waking up the computer.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
My dealer recently replaced both batteries at no charge. Also replaced the module that controls the aux battery. All under warranty. I bought my Rubi in 2018.

VitaminK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL and military HMMWV
Are your doors off? I kept having times where I’d be fine for weeks and other times my batteries would be dead in 2 days. I guess with the doors off, your jeep thinks you just opened a door, unless you drive it for a bit. I noticed this when I went into the garage at night and the dash was showing the “press brake and press start”. I could recreate the issue if I turned on ACC to listen to the radio while working on the thing. After turning it off my Jeep would assume in in the car with the door open waiting to start it. I know it’s a long shot but maybe it’ll help you or someone else.
Sponsored