Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
  • Banned
When we got our 19 I drove it for around 100 miles stock, the steering was rock solid. I was going quickly over rail road tracks and just trying to make sure it was solid this was on stock suspension and 37s wrapped around mopar simulated beadlocks. At 100 miles, I pulled it on the lift and installed the MC game changer rocksport along with front driveshaft and full underbelly skids. The next morning took it for an alignment. Caster was set to 6/6.1 and all jamb nuts were ensured to be tight along with every other bolt.

I have since found two serious issues in the steering with 1200 on the odo. One I’ve heard of and the other not so much. Since the lift anytime id go over an imperfection in the road I’d get a shimmy in the wheel. Much like a grocery store buggy that had a bad wheel. To me it felt like a precursor to the infamous death wobble. My last 12 vehicles with the expection of an H1 have all been lifted. I have been fortionate to this point until driving to work yesterday morning. I went over a bridge on a country two lane around 45-50 and it went into full blown death wobble. Had to nearly come to a complete stop to get it to stop whipping around. I was immediately pissed. I had brought the shimmy up to MC and they said I had to much air in the tires. I lowered it to 28. Obviously didn’t help. Everything is tight so I’m at a loss here. Going to check ball joints and tie rod ends today.

The second issue is intermittent. When cruising around 60 on two lane, when entering into a curve I noticed I was going over the yellow line on almost every curve. Sometimes to the left, others on the right. I started paying attention and realized I was making the steering corrections but the Jeep wasn’t responding. I was having to use significantly more steering input that should be required to make the turn. The first 1/4 wheel turn did nothing. Again, intermittent. I’m at a loss and since it’s lifted doubt there’s much warranty recourse.

Any ideas to fix this. Steering stabilizer has been relocated with the MC kit and is still oem. I can’t see a new one fixing my issues.

Nov build date.

Brett
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Damn Brett. Sorry to hear it. My 2019 doesn’t have a steering issue. At least not yet. Close to 2000 miles or so. The steering isn’t as crisp and precise as a sporty car but of course you know that. I’ve driven almost all highway miles and quite a bit of it was windy. I could definitely tell I was in a heavy, rolling brick with solid axles, but not loose or unresponsive. That would concern me. I put the Fox SS on last Saturday before the 800 mile road trip. I’d made the exact same trip a weekend ago when I first got it. I noticed only a slight improvement in the steering but like I said mine wasn’t bad to start with. I hope you’re able to get it sorted out. It sucks hard to have a brand new vehicle that’s not fit to drive because of poor engineering or build quality.

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I know it’s probably not going to solve your issues, and it’s just a band aid on a bullet wound as some on here have stated, but my oem ss was crap, I put on a dual shock stabilizer on and it made a huge difference in they way the steering responds. But from what you’re describing, I’d look into your steering box. I think they’re electronically assisted, maybe look into that. Might’ve been going to happen all along, just took this many miles to do it, nothing really to do with lift. Just suggestions, you may have already checked this out. :)
Got off the phone with MC. Going to put a torque wrench on the track bar and all control arm bolts this afternoon. If that’s not it, I’ll start working thru all the tie rods and ball joints

I can disable the electric steering from my tazer. Might try that and go from there.

Brett

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Damn Brett. Sorry to hear it. My 2019 doesn’t have a steering issue. At least not yet. Close to 2000 miles or so. The steering isn’t as crisp and precise as a sporty car but of course you know that. I’ve driven almost all highway miles and quite a bit of it was windy. I could definitely tell I was in a heavy, rolling brick with solid axles, but not loose or unresponsive. That would concern me. I put the Fox SS on last Saturday before the 800 mile road trip. I’d made the exact same trip a weekend ago when I first got it. I noticed only a slight improvement in the steering but like I said mine wasn’t bad to start with. I hope you’re able to get it sorted out. It sucks hard to have a brand new vehicle that’s not fit to drive because of poor engineering or build quality.
If you can drive a standard and interested I’d be curious to see what you thought maybe taking that road north of p-ville. The curves to A town are where I noticed it

Brett

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If you can drive a standard and interested I’d be curious to see what you thought maybe taking that road north of p-ville. The curves to A town are where I noticed it

Brett
I can’t this weekend but if you’re able I can try to next weekend. Maybe we can swap rigs and compare our driving impressions back to back.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I can’t this weekend but if you’re able I can try to next weekend. Maybe we can swap rigs and compare our driving impressions back to back.
Sounds good. I’m off next sunday. I’ll touch base with ya later in the week. Just called redneck ram and was considering their system. That’s a stand up guy. Straight up told me that it wouldn’t fix my problem but rather cover it up. Gave me some ideas to track down and said once it’s driving right and I decide I still need more power he’d be more than happy to hook me up. That’s awesome customer service and I appreciated his honesty. Many companies would’ve tried to sell me something then

Brett

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have looked at all these track bar (steer smarts) upgrades and am wondering if the stronger heavier bars are also stiffer. With a lift and bigger tires there is a lot more leverage on the steering, frame, and joints. The stabilizer is designed to dampen this flex/ vibration, but if the whole system is able to oscilate via frame and linkage flex, we will feel it in the wheel under certain conditions.

I swapped in a dual stabilizer and stiffer Rough country track bar, but still feel that wiggle when hitting certain size bumps, albeit not as pronounced.
Adding a track bar frame bracket might increase overall strength but might not increase stiffness, thus do nothing to mitigate the wobble or enhance steering accuracy.

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I have looked at all these track bar (steer smarts) upgrades and am wondering if the stronger heavier bars are also stiffer. With a lift and bigger tires there is a lot more leverage on the steering, frame, and joints. The stabilizer is designed to dampen this flex/ vibration, but if the whole system is able to oscilate via frame and linkage flex, we will feel it in the wheel under certain conditions.

I swapped in a dual stabilizer and stiffer Rough country track bar, but still feel that wiggle when hitting certain size bumps, albeit not as pronounced.
Adding a track bar frame bracket might increase overall strength but might not increase stiffness, thus do nothing to mitigate the wobble or enhance steering accuracy.
The MC trackbar is a stout unit too. I tightened the track bar up a little last night and went for a drive. It still there but I didn’t replace the steering stabilizer so maybe it’ll help even a little more. I can tolerate the shimmy, the DW sucks. I have an entirely new found respect for those that have had to experience it.

Everyone I talked to seems to have a different opinion on what would fix it too

Brett

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
This guy provided some good insight on the issue. The whole video is pretty interesting and the death wobble remedy is new to me

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ended up tightening up the trackbar while it was sitting on the ground and for good measure the LCA and I’d say there is a 90% improvement. I bet with adding a higher end steering stabilizer my shimmy would be gone completely. Torqued them to around 130. Hopefully this is the fix for us and others

Brett

Sponsored

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My stock 2019 drives great. #LEAVEITSTOCK or #DONTBLAMEJEEP
The fact it doesn’t turn while going into turns is a Jeep problem and not an accessory issue unfortunately. The DW and shimmy in this case, I’ll take responsibility for.

Brett

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Mine is all stock. Started getting the shimmy at around 12k miles on rough and uneven pavement. I finally had the chance to take it to the dealer and had the steering stabilizer changed at 16k miles. That fixed the issue. No more steering shake.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The caster angle sounds high. I've read that excess caster can contribute to DW. If you envision the caster angle of the ball joints as the pivot angle, you can understand as caster gets higher, the wheel becomes less stable. I'd set it to factory specs which if I recall are about 4.8 degrees. Mid 4 degree settings are common across most vehicles, including straight axles designs like the Jeep.

Also, as the vehicle is lifted, the driveshaft to pinion angle increases if the axle is maintained at the same angle relative to level. Putting more caster in than stock spec requires the axle be rotated in a direction that increases the driveshaft to pinion angle even more (rotates pinion angle down). Bad for driveline parts. JM 2 cents.

caster.png

D946314D-E99B-44EB-BA45-CAA140405DFD_zps0oevy6hn.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The caster angle sounds high. I've read that excess caster can contribute to DW. If you envision the caster angle of the ball joints as the pivot angle, you can understand as caster gets higher, the wheel becomes less stable. I'd set it to factory specs which if I recall are about 4.8 degrees. Mid 4 degree settings are common across most vehicles, including straight axles designs like the Jeep.

Also, as the vehicle is lifted, the driveshaft to pinion angle increases if the axle is maintained at the same angle relative to level. Putting more caster in than stock spec requires the axle be rotated in a direction that increases the driveshaft to pinion angle even more (rotates pinion angle down). Bad for driveline parts. JM 2 cents.

caster.png

D946314D-E99B-44EB-BA45-CAA140405DFD_zps0oevy6hn.jpg
Driver is 6, passenger is 6.1. That’s what metalcloak recommended for their lifts.

Brett
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.