Sponsored

2019 Sport SoundBar 4"Speakers upgraded to JLaudio. Too much HIGHS?

• Thread starter JLsport2019
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

JLsport2019

I'm using the factory radio.
I bought 2pairs of 4" JLaudio C2 speakers (2 by my knees, and 2 in the Sound bar)
1pair of smaller C2 Tweeters on front dash board. All powered by a Alpine Power Pack 445u AMP.

I also have JLaudio Powered 8" SubWoofer 250 RMS.

My issue now is that it produces too much HIGHS (vocals), and the
LOWS are produced nicely by the powered 8" subwoofer.

The music has no MIDS, and its completely missing the sound that I'm listening too. Its very obvious.
I've tried using the equalizer settings all to FLAT and i've also played around with it.
My sound has too much HIGHS and good LOWS from the subwoofer.

Can I change out the JLaudio 4" C2 speakers on the Rear Sound Bar to a 6.5" speaker to get more MIDS sounds?
If so, what brand 6.5" speakers do you guys recommend for a lot MIDS sounds?

image0000001 (21).jpg
Sponsored

Steve Cornell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
These speakers that come factory in the Jeep, (while cheap) are engineered to produce the best sound in a small ported enclosure, the Engineers were given a mission to get the most sound at the cheapest price, the small ported enclosures are designed to produce decent lower frequencies and mid bass from a very small and cheap speaker (just like some of the small Bluetooth speakers seem to sound amazing for as small as they are)
The issue is that you are installing a much higher quality speaker in an enclosure designed for a completely different speaker, I'm sure the higher frequencies are much louder and cleaner but as you have found you lost all of your lower frequencies.
Every speaker has different parameters and while I plan to install a complete system in my new JL I haven't had the chance to experiment with speakers yet but I would bet it's going to take a lot more that placing another speaker in the existing enclosure, possible getting rid of the port and sealing up the enclosure or removing the enclosure all together.

OP
OP

JLsport2019

Ok, thank you for your reply.
The front updated JLaudio C2 speakers are fine for now (4" & 1" tweeters). The HIGHS are great. There is just no MIDS whatsoever.

I need to change out the JLaudio 4" C2 speakers I've installed in the Rear SoundBar....

What 5"-6.5" upgraded speakers do you recommend for the Rear SoundBar? One audio person on this forum mentioned there will be a huge difference in soumd quality in Rear SoundBar using a $179 speaker vs $300 speaker (rear only)....

I need some helpful experience guidance.
Music has too much HIGHS. I need more MIDS (I already have a JLaudio 8" Powered SubWoofer 250 RMS for the LOWS).

Steve Cornell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Any speaker you use will need the proper enclosure and as I said just replacing the speakers in the existing enclosures is going to be hit and miss.
I will know a lot more in a few months when I start experimenting with mine but I doubt a larger speaker is going to work in the sound bar without somehow increasing the air space and getting rid on the ported enclosure.
I would leave your C2s in the dash but put your stock speakers back in the lower dash and sound bar and see if you get some of the frequencies you are missing back.

OP
OP

JLsport2019

Ok..awaiting your results.

I'm soo unhappy with the JLaudio 4" C2 in the Rear SoundBar. It sounds horrible.

Sponsored

bartscrc

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I just put some C2-350s in place of the dash and sound bar 3.5s and did not touch the 4 inch speakers - quite a noticeable upgrade in quality without losing the mids. Maybe give that a shot?

OP
OP

JLsport2019

The thing is I threw away the original OEM 4" speakers. I figured aftermarket was better.

:-(

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
The thing is I threw away the original OEM 4" speakers. I figured aftermarket was better.

:-(
Try a 4“ morel ultra tempo 402 Integra. Eliminate the 2 1-2” midrange and just run the this set you’ll get your highs and mids in this one speaker

Idriss

First Name
Idriss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon (Australian spec)
Occupation
Entrepreneur
don't worry too much with upgrading the sound bar speakers, they are in a horrible position for driver and passenger, concentrate on the front stage around the dash area.

I would suggest upgrading the 3.5" speakers up on the dash to JL Audio C2-350x, Metra manufacture a pod that allows you to mount a 6.5" down next to your knee ( http://metraonline.com/part/JP-1014 ), then install a C2-650x down there. this will give you that mid range you are looking for.
Sponsored