Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Bought used.
Came with BridgeStone Dueler H/T's

Door jamb says inflate to 38 psi.
I think the sensor goes off at around 32 for the low tire pressure sensor.

What's everyone's opinion on whether 38 psi is the best option to keep it at in summer/ winter?
Pure street/ in town/ highway driving. This one doesn't see "off road" besides the occasional dirt road.

I'm actually looking for a tad bit more "comfortable ride."
Seems stiff in some ways at this PSI.
I'm also looking for a bit more control and not so much of fight to keep the jeep in a straight line with minimal steering wheel adjustment.
It always feels like I have to over correct, especially at higher speeds on the highway.

There is no lift and it still has the stock tires so that's not an issue.
I did take it back to the dealer twice with the TSB and had them replace the steering box, arms, and re flash the computer.
I can't find the paperwork though to see exactly what they did.
Steering wheel play and the kick ball effect subsided a good amount but it's still doesn't feel as tight as it should.
Steering wheel is also cocked to the right just a couple degrees but I doubt that's an issue. It was supposedly aligned to where they could without the Jeep having adjustable lower control arms.

So, all that being said,

1) Best stock PSI?
2) Anything else I can do to make the steering feel a bit tighter?
Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
It's likely the PSI rating on the door jamb is rated for Cargo capacity stated. If you are not loaded with 4 persons and cargo.......
dropping to 34 cold.......they will likely run @ 36-38 when warmed up and you will be fine.
At 38 cold, they are likely to be over 40 when they warm up.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i run mine between 35-37 psi. that on a 2 door sport.

OP
OP
BriKan

BriKan

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
i run mine between 35-37 psi. that on a 2 door sport.
4 door for me.
I'm thinking of dropping them to 35 PSI and see what the difference is for a while

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The door jam on my Sahara says 36 PSI. The TPMS came calibrated to trigger a red PSI reading below 35.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BriKan

BriKan

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
It's likely the PSI rating on the door jamb is rated for Cargo capacity stated. If you are not loaded with 4 persons and cargo.......
dropping to 34 cold.......they will likely run @ 36-38 when warmed up and you will be fine.
I aired them up a month ago to 38 PSI at the gas station a block from my house so I don't think they warmed up too much in 100 yards. I'm only going off what the dashboard says but it's been digitally reading 37-38 all day long over the month.

Think the instrument cluster is correct or should I manually check it at either a gas station air pump or go old school tire gauge?

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I aired them up a month ago to 38 PSI at the gas station a block from my house so I don't think they warmed up too much in 100 yards. I'm only going off what the dashboard says but it's been digitally reading 37-38 all day long over the month.

Think the instrument cluster is correct or should I manually check it at either a gas station air pump or go old school tire gauge?
So are you driving around with 3 passengers and extra cargo or not ???? If not drop a few psi below the number on the door that is based on max cargo load. The number is a generic number and also does not take into account the rear is lighter than the front as well. Some even run higher Psi in front than back if there is no weight in back. My Challenger I used to run 28 rear with wider tires and narrower front tires at 36.

If you drive for an hour at interstate speeds and your tires go up much more than 3-4 PSI (10%)
Then they are under inflated and heating up too much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BriKan

BriKan

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
So are you driving around with 3 passengers and extra cargo or not ???? If not drop a few psi below the number on the door that is based on max cargo load. The number is a generic number and also does not take into account the rear is lighter than the front as well. Some even run higher Psi in front than back if there is no weight in back. My Challenger I used to run 28 rear with wider tires and narrower front tires at 36.

If you drive for an hour at interstate speeds and your tires go up much more than 3-4 PSI (10%)
Then they are under inflated and heating up too much.
Depends on the day. Sometimes it's just me, sometimes I have 3-4 kids in the car, sometimes I have 1000 lbs of mozzarella and flour sitting in it from the front seats back to the tailgate. You did give me a good idea to check the ride difference with the different scenarios I just mentioned. I'm going to be alone in the car with no weight all day tomorrow so I'm going to dial it down to 35 and see what the ride differnce is.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i would get a tire gauge to have a better reading. the dash read out can be off.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
Like Aldo said, 2019 Sahara door jam sticker says 36 psi. That's what I set the tires at cold and run them. All good. Smooth ride, no issues. Works well off road, too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BriKan

BriKan

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Thanks for this.
Yep, they're running at 41-42 once warmed up after 2 hours on the road. I'm going to look for a digital tire gauge later and play around with different pressures to see what the difference is. Thnaks!

MileHigher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 White Sahara Altitude
I just looked on the app. My jeep came from the dealer 10 days ago with 45-47 lbs per tire! Gonna have to check them to see if that is legit. I got my first vehicle report today from Uconnect, interestingly enough it didn’t call out the tire pressure is being too high.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for this.
Yep, they're running at 41-42 once warmed up after 2 hours on the road. I'm going to look for a digital tire gauge later and play around with different pressures to see what the difference is. Thnaks!
There you go.........I little too stiff. My Heep is a 2 dr HT with bigger tires. I run @ 33/34 cold/36 warm.
My door jam says 36 with cargo max as 700 lbs. I can barely see a slight "squish" in the side walls of the tires when cold. After driving a bit they run 35-36 depending on ambient temp.
Low pressure warning comes on @ 32. So as you see I set mine so the WARM PSI is what the label says instead of cold. I would rather have the ride I like and let the tire wear/MPG suffer slightly.
(The last 2-3 vehicles I have purchased came off the lot with the tires way above the recommended PSI. Try driving a Challenger with 20" low profile tires with 48-50 psi !!! The recommended psi was supposed to be 36............If I ran over a dime in the road I could feel it!)

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subie outback toad, pusher motorhome
I aired them up a month ago to 38 PSI at the gas station a block from my house so I don't think they warmed up too much in 100 yards. <snip>
Also invest in a portable compressor so you can add air in the morning in the comfort of your garage instead of going to the gas station. It really doesn't have to be an expensive one as you'll just be topping off during the time you're adjusting psi to your comfort level. 👍