Sponsored

2019 Sahara: Selec-Trac with Manual?

zogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RWD coupe
Looking at the 2019 Order Guide, it appears that you can get a Sahara w/ Selec-Trac and manual transmission. If that's true, that's a pretty compelling setup for someone who doesn't need a rock climber.

I wonder if it's a misprint.
Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I'm fairly certain you are able to pair the Selec-Trac with FTAWD and a manual transmission. I actually do take my Jeep offroad, but I'm still a big fan of the FTAWD. The PTAWD system really isn't intended to be driven in inclimate weather, as it can shred tires and hurt the steering mechanisms. But the FT system actually acts as a nice traction control system - I used it this morning while driving to work in the rain, and a few times it had to engage the front wheels while turning on especially wet roads.

Definitely recommend it, plus adding the Selec-Trac system automatically adds the LSD, which adds some offroad capability if you ever want it.

parrotheadphan

First Name
Mike (aka Kirk)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Firecracker Red, 3.6l, 8 spd auto
Occupation
Digital arts & photography teacher
Vehicle Showcase
The 2018 order selection on the website allows that setup.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
The 2018 order selection on the website allows that setup.
It allowed it for months after launch too, but no one was able to order a 6MT + Selec-Trac.

Fingers crossed. I'd be willing to deal with (i.e. change) the ugly wheels and silver trim to get a 6MT+automatic transfer case.

OP
OP

zogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RWD coupe
I actually do take my Jeep offroad, but I'm still a big fan of the FTAWD. [snip] Definitely recommend it, plus adding the Selec-Trac system automatically adds the LSD, which adds some offroad capability if you ever want it.
Yeah, my thinking is that the LSD and full-time 4H are nice for on-road snow, and off-roading in light/moderate conditions. The Rubicon features seem more geared towards situations where durability and maximum single-wheel-per-axle torque are required.

In Pennsylvania, I suspect I'll face more of the former, and less (none?) of the latter.

Sponsored

OP
OP

zogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RWD coupe
It allowed it for months after launch too, but no one was able to order a 6MT + Selec-Trac.

Fingers crossed. I'd be willing to deal with (i.e. change) the ugly wheels and silver trim to get a 6MT+automatic transfer case.
Preach on. I'd put it at 50/50 that the combo is actually going to be orderable. I do prefer the Rubi's trim and upgraded wheels, as well, but Sahara isn't bad, and all things considered, I probably prefer 32" tires.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Preach on. I'd put it at 50/50 that the combo is actually going to be orderable. I do prefer the Rubi's trim and upgraded wheels, as well, but Sahara isn't bad, and all things considered, I probably prefer 32" tires.
If you're flexible on the MT/AT question, may want to consider the Moab. Unfortunately it only comes in auto transmission, but is essentially a loaded Sahara w upgraded wheels, 32" tires, Selec-Trac, etc. And although it's pricey, sounds like you were already planning to buy a Sahara and then immediately invest in bigger tires and new wheels, so the price difference may not be that great.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I'm not so optimistic. I believe 6mt+Selec-Trac would be considered a 'new' powertrain combination, meaning millions of dollars in certification costs. MT is already a tiny fraction of sales, Select-Trac+6MT would mean the least popular transmission+unpopular option (Selec-Trac), which is only available on one of the four trims. Probably less than 0.5% of sales right there.

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
I'm not so optimistic. I believe 6mt+Selec-Trac would be considered a 'new' powertrain combination, meaning millions of dollars in certification costs. MT is already a tiny fraction of sales, Select-Trac+6MT would mean the least popular transmission+unpopular option (Selec-Trac), which is only available on one of the four trims. Probably less than 0.5% of sales right there.
It would be a game changer that would make me cancel my order for 2019 Sahara and re-order. Was told it wasn't an option and now it looks like it could be.
6MT + LSD + FT4WD would be amazing.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I'm really curious if anyone has been able to order a 2019 Sahara with 6MT+Selec-Trac. TrueCar (via USAA's car buying service, requires USAA membership) does allow the combination on their 2019 configurator, FWIW.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I tried to order a 2018 that way but they couldn't do it, so I went with the rubicon for looks and the gearing.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
The PTAWD system really isn't intended to be driven in inclimate weather, as it can shred tires
Good to finally meet someone using their Jeep properly... for circuit racing with a blown engine. If not, it's still bad for the front drive line but you're not going to shred tires.
Sponsored