punkinjl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara Punk'n
Vehicle Showcase
I am quickly noticing I should have probably gotten a Rubicon or a Sport if I intended to build my Jeep. Has anyone else taken a Sahara and built it out? I am hearing even with a lift they do not recommend wheels and tires larger than 35.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I am hearing even with a lift they do not recommend wheels and tires larger than 35.
From whom? Saharas are no different than any other Wrangler in terms of lifts, wheels, tires, etc.

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I am quickly noticing I should have probably gotten a Rubicon or a Sport if I intended to build my Jeep. Has anyone else taken a Sahara and built it out? I am hearing even with a lift they do not recommend wheels and tires larger than 35.
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara

Looking back I probably should of went with the Rubicon just because of the D44 axles and 4.10 gears, the 3.45 gears with 6 speed MT won't touch 6th gear with my 33" 12.5 M/T tires, and sometimes on the highway I need to drop to 4th depending on wind and incline so it can be sluggish in that case, around town its perfectly fine. At the time I was supposed to be moving across country and wanted a cheaper monthly payment, work decided I won't be anymore so same spot.

As I mentioned above, the 4.10 gear ratio ESPECIALLY with 6 speed is much more suitable for 35/37 inch tires, so when I decide to go above 33s (to a 35 or 37) I will re gear to 4.53 or 4.88 to regain the power, this will cost me probably $1000 for the gears and maybe 500-1000 in labor (remember this is CDN currency).

Vigorous offroading on 37s with the Sahara stock D30/D35 axles something is bound to break, BUT PERFECTLY FINE if its a pavement princess, so I am on the fence of just doing a complete front/rear axle swap when I want to do the re-gear for bigger tires which is probably a pretty penny lol, but she wont be a true 'toy' for another few years.

I never thought I'd invest this much into it but I am kinda balls to the walls with upgrades, I'll have about $8000 CDN put into it (Wheels, tires, Lift, Headlights, rear taillights, Floor mats, Exhaust, D67 phone holder) and I don't plan on stopping, next purchase is front and rear bumpers w/ winch, the lift is soon to be put on so I am gonna test the waters with the 33s if I like the look, if not i'm going 35s(probably going to happen lol) and I may consider just regearing instead of the axle swap for now since I won't be doing any real offroading for years.

I do get thoughts of "fuck I should of gotten the Rubicon" but be real with yourself, at this point youre beating yourself over nothing, enjoy your Sahara, I love mine to death even though I had a couple problems (death wobble, hand brake, now a rocker arm issue lol)

Can't beat the lifestyle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
punkinjl

punkinjl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From whom? Saharas are no different than any other Wrangler in terms of lifts, wheels, tires, etc.
Someone on Instagram said if I went to 37's I would need to change my front axle. I would prefer to go with 37's so I am seeking the proper lift and height vs wheel and tire combination.

OP
OP
punkinjl

punkinjl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara

Looking back I probably should of went with the Rubicon just because of the D44 axles and 4.10 gears, the 3.45 gears with 6 speed MT won't touch 6th gear with my 33" 12.5 M/T tires, and sometimes on the highway I need to drop to 4th depending on wind and incline so it can be sluggish in that case, around town its perfectly fine. At the time I was supposed to be moving across country and wanted a cheaper monthly payment, work decided I won't be anymore so same spot.

As I mentioned above, the 4.10 gear ratio ESPECIALLY with 6 speed is much more suitable for 35/37 inch tires, so when I decide to go above 33s (to a 35 or 37) I will re gear to 4.53 or 4.88 to regain the power, this will cost me probably $1000 for the gears and maybe 500-1000 in labor (remember this is CDN currency).

Vigorous offroading on 37s with the Sahara stock D30/D35 axles something is bound to break, BUT PERFECTLY FINE if its a pavement princess, so I am on the fence of just doing a complete front/rear axle swap when I want to do the re-gear for bigger tires which is probably a pretty penny lol, but she wont be a true 'toy' for another few years.

I never thought I'd invest this much into it but I am kinda balls to the walls with upgrades, I'll have about $8000 CDN put into it (Wheels, tires, Lift, Headlights, rear taillights, Floor mats, Exhaust, D67 phone holder) and I don't plan on stopping, next purchase is front and rear bumpers w/ winch, the lift is soon to be put on so I am gonna test the waters with the 33s if I like the look, if not i'm going 35s(probably going to happen lol) and I may consider just regearing instead of the axle swap for now since I won't be doing any real offroading for years.

I do get thoughts of "fuck I should of gotten the Rubicon" but be real with yourself, at this point youre beating yourself over nothing, enjoy your Sahara, I love mine to death even though I had a couple problems (death wobble, hand brake, now a rocker arm issue lol)

Can't beat the lifestyle.
My stock Sahara has; 3.45 Axle Gear Ratio and a 3rd Generation Dana 44 HD Rear Axle. I understand lots of factors are involved, offsets, backspace & weight of the wheel tire combo. Off topic, how many beadlocks are DOT rated?

Sponsored

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My stock Sahara has; 3.45 Axle Gear Ratio and a 3rd Generation Dana 44 HD Rear Axle. I understand lots of factors are involved, offsets, backspace & weight of the wheel tire combo. Off topic, how many beadlocks are DOT rated?
Mopar’s Beadlock is DOT rated:
Part Description
17 x 8" Beadlock-Capable Wheel provides a backspacing of 4.4" (12mm offset). This wheel features dual bead seats. The outer bead of the tire can be mounted in a DOT-approved inner location or in the outer location as a true bead lock with purchase of Functional Lock Ring Kit. Rim is satin black with a silver ring. This wheel features a protected valve stem design and meets all FCA US LLC standards for corrosion and load. This wheel has a 5 x 5" bolt pattern. Requires Functional Lock Ring Kit for True Beadlock Capability."

Other Notes
DOT approved wheel with true beadlock feature. The outer bead of the tire can be mounted in a DOT-approved inner location or in the outer location as a true bead lock with the Functional Lock Ring Kit. It also features a protected valve stem design and meets all FCA US LLC standards for corrosion and load. With matching center cap.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

chicknwithabeer

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl RUBICON 2018 Jeep Jl SAHARA 2001 Land Rover Disco II
Vehicle Showcase
37's same front axle and it plays well with others.

IMG_20200327_144615342_HDR.jpg