twa8000

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2009 JKU, 2014 WK2
Vehicle Showcase
I’m betting your repaired solder joints might be better than some of the “factory” ones.
It crazy, all the pins in their modules are just pressed in, no solder at all on them
Sponsored

OP
OP
twa8000

twa8000

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you buy it from an individual before insurance declared total loss or waited untill it showed up at the salvage auction?
It was purchased from a insurance auction. I wish I could of bought it from the individual right after it happen, could of dried out most of the items and saved them.

OP
OP
twa8000

twa8000

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Or get pixeldecals to make a hood decal in Rubicon font that reads "Red October".

Will it only be my fellow old people that understand that reference?
I want to put something on the Jeep to relate to its underwater adventures.

OP
OP
twa8000

twa8000

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATES!

So for the last couple weeks I’ve been cleaning harnesses. The ones that needed the most attention were the ones that plugged into the BCM. My Jeep had a plastic bag around the BCM which I guess is normal? But this helped lock in the moisture and the plugs needed the most attention.

The plugs were cleaned and given a long time to dry out. They were then plugged into the BCM for about a week so we could test a lot of the Jeep. Upon disconnecting yesterday I noticed the plugs are already green again. This is a Jeep I plan on keeping for awhile so I don’t want any problems down the road and I don’t feel like de pinning hundreds of pins to replace or clean.

I just ordered the 3 main wiring harnesses for the Jeep, all 3 junction at the BCM. 2 Harnesses are about a week out and the 3rd is 30 days out. So I’m at a stand still at the moment till these arrive.

E92A6EA1-02EE-4004-B701-723F53BDAE92.jpeg

Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I sell performance auto parts for a living. But also have a huge interest in vehicle electronics and Jeep. Thank you!
Fantastic! Thanks for the effort on this project… fun to watch so far…. One last question… any idea on the size of the boat he was trying to recover? Trying to get a handle on the original issue. Tires looked decent…he experienced? Overloaded?

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I sell performance auto parts for a living. But also have a huge interest in vehicle electronics and Jeep. Thank you!
Hey.. I also love vehicle electronics... have you by chance done any CANBus hacking of the JL ?...

I started a little project using a ESP32 with a CANBus shield for extracting the data from both IHS and C buses .. it sends the data to my laptop via USB-Serial ... the app I use on the laptop is an open-source app coded in Python and developed by brilliant Adam Varga (that is his youtube channel name) ..

I started playing with it.. I was able to determine the packet values for the turn signals but I had to put the project on standby to work on some other stuff.. but it promises to be a fun project and I will most likely create a public database with whatever data I extract in the future..

Sponsored

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Awesome thread. So cool to take on a project like this. Once finished should be very nice. Kudos.