Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I read till the end looking for the answer if fresh or salt water. If fresh water the chances of this project working out are much higher.

Sponsored

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR. 2021 392 Wrangler.
If fresh water the chances of this project working out are much higher.
I don't know how long this thing was wet before the restoration efforts began but the corrosion on that circuit board says salt water to me.

It can be done, the Navy has restoration procedures for aircraft that get soaked in saltwater due to firefighting efforts.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I don't know how long this thing was wet before the restoration efforts began but the corrosion on that circuit board says salt water to me.

It can be done, the Navy has restoration procedures for aircraft that get soaked in saltwater due to firefighting efforts.
That was my thought when I first saw that board. But seeing how well it cleaned up, I was thinking that it was fresh water.

Re the Navy procedures, those jets have a a lot of FRU modules that are just swapped out. Plus being sprayed during firefighting is different than being immersed in salt water.

The OP certainly has an ambitious project, but he seems to have a well thought out plan. I hope he is successful.

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking forward to following your progress OP!

Just a question, why didn't you take the doors off when you gutted the thing? Would have made access much easier.

Sponsored

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
Very cool project, I will be following this one.

OP
OP
twa8000

twa8000

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2009 JKU, 2014 WK2
Vehicle Showcase
Even after cleaning what's the odds of that board working???? Plus, staying working???
the important modules im not messing around, im replacing. Modules like the park assist and usb for the radio that are easy to replace and access, im trying to clean and save

OP
OP
twa8000

twa8000

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. In curious as well. If it had current running through it when it got wet, the board should be toast.
Fuses have protected a lot of them, but when the Jeep was pulled out of the lake, previous owner said a lot of the electronics were still working. Wipers were going under water

OP
OP
twa8000

twa8000

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Zero. There is way those caps are not fried, not to mention that controller. Those boards are definitely not rated for any water ingress.

Even if he has to replace every control module on the BUS, which is extremely likely, it's not going to be "that" expensive.

I am sure the work will suck, but assuming he can recover the engine, I think he should come out ahead.
Modules are pretty inexpensive, $50-$250 new covers a majority of them, Cluster was $600 which was the only exception. I was lucky to find some used modules for less money too which have accepted my VIN number.
Sponsored