Sponsored

2019 Order Help - Wait for 3.6l BSG? Worth it?

baysta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Here's my take. I want a 2019 Rubicon. I plan to place aluminum front and rear Rock Hard 4x4 Bumpers. They will be about 60lbs total. I will put Rock Slide engineering step sliders. Those will be 200lbs. I'll also likely put aluminum skids on it.

So that's about 260lbs. Maybe 400lbs if I do the skids. Minus the stock parts I'm replacing I suspect I'm adding about 140lbs with skids and 30lbs without. The bumpers will be about the same weight as the plastic. The slides will be a bit heavier than the stock rubicon ones I'm sure.

From there I'm plus/minus on 35s and Mopar Lift.

If that 2 liter with the above gets me 20 city and 25+ highway then sure I'm in. But I've seen MPGs all over the map form 14 to low 20s.

To me less than 20mpg isn't acceptable. So I'm hoping the diesel or the plug in meet my needs. I've not really got a clue what the MPGs on the 2.0 will do with that setup and with a light foot. If anyone is rocking a rubi with steel bumpers in a 2.0 and can let me know their MPGs I'd appreciate it,
I think we're more concerned with the 3.6L V6 + BSG in this thread, not the 2.0T implementation. You should probably ask that in the 2.0T forum, as I'm sure there's someone that has a similar setup there. Most of us in this conversation don't own a JL yet, hence the question in the title.
Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I think we're more concerned with the 3.6L V6 + BSG in this thread, not the 2.0T implementation. You should probably ask that in the 2.0T forum, as I'm sure there's someone that has a similar setup there. Most of us in this conversation don't own a JL yet, hence the question in the title.
I have. I’m still not sure what to expect.

As far as the 3.6bsg if that gets me good mileage then hey I’m down. I would imagine it wouldn’t be quite as good as the 2.0 though.

baysta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I have. I’m still not sure what to expect.

As far as the 3.6bsg if that gets me good mileage then hey I’m down. I would imagine it wouldn’t be quite as good as the 2.0 though.
Well, if the 3.6L JLU currently gets 18/23, based on the Ram 1500 numbers, 3.6L + BSG on the Wrangler should net us 20/24 (+2 city, +1 highway), which isn't shabby at all, given the box on wheels they are. The 2.0T JLU gets 22/24, with 22 combined, which isn't really much of an improvement over the hypothetical Pentastar with BSG.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Does the BSG add-on for 3.6 also requires premium gas (91+), I do not understand why BSG will increase fuel requirements. It seems 2.0T will require premium gas because of the turbocharger, right?

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Does the BSG add-on for 3.6 also requires premium gas (91+), I do not understand why BSG will increase fuel requirements. It seems 2.0T will require premium gas because of the turbocharger, right?
No, the BSG 3.6L will not require premium fuel.
It will, however, have all the added complexities of the 2.0T (additional, proprietary high-volt battery, extra compute module(s), separate additional cooling system, additional heating lines, etc etc.

Seems rather odd to me that Jeep would keep BOTH the BSG 3.6L and the BSG 2.0T in the lineup -- given their similar power, and similar fuel economy numbers. What is the point is of having two such similar powerplants available for the same model?

But they didn't ask my opinion, so there's that. ;)

Sponsored

baysta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
No, the BSG 3.6L will not require premium fuel.
It will, however, have all the added complexities of the 2.0T (additional, proprietary high-volt battery, extra compute module(s), separate additional cooling system, additional heating lines, etc etc.

Seems rather odd to me that Jeep would keep BOTH the BSG 3.6L and the BSG 2.0T in the lineup -- given their similar power, and similar fuel economy numbers. What is the point is of having two such similar powerplants available for the same model?

But they didn't ask my opinion, so there's that. ;)
I guess you'd have one layer less of complexity than a turboed 4. Also, theoretically a non-turbo v6 would allow for aftermarket forced induction?

I can't tell if you're for or against it or not haha.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Wait for the BSG, or wait for the inline 6, or wait for the next power train. Eventually, you have to accept what is available now, and realize something new will be out in 3 months or 3 years. Can't always worry about what is next. What is next may not be as reliable, may have increased complexity, may take longer to implement, and then you may have regrets on not ordering what once was available.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Well, there are people wait for the 3.6 hybrid in Pacifica now, so that is that.

HayBuiltJLU

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
There are many forced induction add ons for the 3.6l. The 3.6l in the JL preforms very well from factory. I believe a 3.6BSG or the current 2.0L are great options for a daily driver but may pose issues when in tough conditions Offroad. However , I do believe with the number of companies customizing JL’s that any issues that arise will at some point have an aftermarket solution.

baysta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
There are many forced induction add ons for the 3.6l. The 3.6l in the JL preforms very well from factory. I believe a 3.6BSG or the current 2.0L are great options for a daily driver but may pose issues when in tough conditions Offroad. However , I do believe with the number of companies customizing JL’s that any issues that arise will at some point have an aftermarket solution.
With that being said I wonder if they'll be able to tune the forced induction to take into account the BSG, or if that poses a problem.

Sponsored

HayBuiltJLU

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
With that being said I wonder if they'll be able to tune the forced induction to take into account the BSG, or if that poses a problem.
I would say without any question a 3.6l BSG WILL be tunable. The torque assist with the BSG would just need to be tuned to fill in the lows with the new torque curve after adding forced induction.

baysta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I would say without any question a 3.6l BSG WILL be tunable. The torque assist with the BSG would just need to be tuned to fill in the lows with the new torque curve after adding forced induction.
That sounds like a win-win to me!

baysta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Going back to your comment regarding possible off-road reliability - have there been any reports from 2.0T owners complaining about off-road issues attributed to their engine though? I don't think Jeep would put a system that's not durable into the Wranglers if their primary use is offroad...

HayBuiltJLU

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Going back to your comment regarding possible off-road reliability - have there been any reports from 2.0T owners complaining about off-road issues attributed to their engine though? I don't think Jeep would put a system that's not durable into the Wranglers if their primary use is offroad...
There have been complaints in regards to leaks in the cooling system for the 48v battery. I don’t know the main cause of this issue. But heat control when rock crawling in hot weather might extrapolate this issue. The extra powerful cooling fans may offset this concern though

JohnnyJLUR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Granite Crystal, 2013 Mazda MX5 Club
I was told today that the order banks might possibly open in Mid Oct for the 3.6L Auto combination. Possibly to me means...so you're saying there is a chance! LOL
I think I might just wait until the 2020 model year to let the kinks get worked out...I just hope the 3.6L does not get killed off.
Sponsored