Sponsored

2019 Order Help - Wait for 3.6l BSG? Worth it?

0iiiiiii0

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ (sold), 04 Land Rover Disco II (dead), 18 JLU Sport S (granite)
First off, this is my first post. Thanks to everyone on the forums. Been scouring threads for weeks and it's been crazy helpful.

-----------------------------------

So, I've managed to find a dealership here in CA that will do 3% below invoice on a new 2019 build. Stoked! (Was hoping to find one closer to 5%, but seems like ID or NV are my best bets for 5%...with my math, after flight to and gas from it's not really worth the 2% difference). Looking to get a JKU Sahara with the new 3.6L BSG.

My question is does anyone know if the new 3.6l BSG (25G) will be available when the Nov banks open? Has anyone been able to order one yet at all? Will it be worth it? (ok so, 3 questions). I was originally going to get the regular 3.6L Penta with the 8 speed auto (people on the forums have been pretty happy with it) but figure I might as well wait a couple more weeks...if it will be available. Hoping it increases MPG significantly more than the 3.6 ESS.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Se7enrex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s2000, 4runner
First off, this is my first post. Thanks to everyone on the forums. Been scouring threads for weeks and it's been crazy helpful.

-----------------------------------

So, I've managed to find a dealership here in CA that will do 3% below invoice on a new 2019 build. Stoked! (Was hoping to find one closer to 5%, but seems like ID or NV are my best bets for 5%...with my math, after flight to and gas from it's not really worth the 2% difference). Looking to get a JKU Sahara with the new 3.6L BSG.

My question is does anyone know if the new 3.6l BSG (25G) will be available when the Nov banks open? Has anyone been able to order one yet at all? Will it be worth it? (ok so, 3 questions). I was originally going to get the regular 3.6L Penta with the 8 speed auto (people on the forums have been pretty happy with it) but figure I might as well wait a couple more weeks...if it will be available. Hoping it increases MPG significantly more than the 3.6 ESS.

Thanks!
Just posted this in another thread :(
I spoke with a Denver Jeep dealer as I have been a royal PITA hounding all of the local dealers to speak with their reps about the 3.6 WITH BSG potential 25R option and was told that they spoke with their FCA rep for the region and it was definitively decided that that 3.6 with BSG is NOT going to happen. (I wanted it to). The reason the General Manager gave me was that they do plan to discontinue the 3.6 soon and that they were not going to be developing the platform further for the Jeep specifically. This info came on the heels of me telling them I would be there tomorrow to place my order if they tell me when its available to order and that I was only interested in that option.

OP
OP
0iiiiiii0

0iiiiiii0

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh really? No 3.6 BSG at all? Seems like a 3.6 BSG has been confirmed for 2019. I wonder if that is regional?

koallinbear

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Ordered, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk
After test driving 5 Different jeeps from Rubicons to Saharas with 3.6 and 2.0 Turbo, I can confidently say that the 3.6 felt awkward, and misplaced in the jeep. First off, It made the entire vehicle feel heavy, stiff, and tough to manuver. Getting on the highway it took far to long to get the power I needed to successfully merge into traffic. Stop/Start with this engine was loud, rough, and laggy on take off. I have no experience with the 6 speed manual, so that might be a different story. From what I gathered on all my different examples is that the 2.0 Turbo was extremely smooth in all aspects, city and highway and effortlessly operated the engine stop/start feature. It was bearly noticeable and power was instant on take off and through the mid rpms. Zero lag from a Stop Start Situation. By the end of my drives I had not noticed that the stop start had occurred until the engine turned back on (which it did quietly). These reasons are why I personally believe the 2.0 is a better engine in this platform and the way to go unless you are holding out for a diesel. My 2019 JLUR Mojito is going to have the 2.0 and I'm extremely excited to be able to drive it everyday.

OP
OP
0iiiiiii0

0iiiiiii0

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drove the 2.0 as well, and it did feel great. I also liked the 3.6 though, especially with the new 8 speed auto. From what I understand it's a huge improvement over the JK. I guess I like the idea of the 3.6 BSG being a bit more tried and true since it's the same one they use in the Ram. Do they use the 2.0 in other cars in the lineup?

Sponsored

OP
OP
0iiiiiii0

0iiiiiii0

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After test driving 5 Different jeeps from Rubicons to Saharas with 3.6 and 2.0 Turbo, I can confidently say that the 3.6 felt awkward, and misplaced in the jeep. First off, It made the entire vehicle feel heavy, stiff, and tough to manuver. Getting on the highway it took far to long to get the power I needed to successfully merge into traffic. Stop/Start with this engine was loud, rough, and laggy on take off.
I drove the 2.0 as well, and it did feel great. I also liked the 3.6 though, especially with the new 8 speed auto. From what I understand it's a huge improvement over the JK. I guess I like the idea of the 3.6 BSG being a bit more tried and true since it's the same one they use in the Ram. Do they use the 2.0 in other cars in the lineup?

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
After test driving 5 Different jeeps from Rubicons to Saharas with 3.6 and 2.0 Turbo, I can confidently say that the 3.6 felt awkward, and misplaced in the jeep.
Um, you do know the 3.6 has been in the Wrangler for over 6 years, right? It’s not a sports car, but it isn’t a dog either. Most state that it is actually a really good engine for it. With the 8 speed, I can actually squeal the tires when at a stop.

I drove a 2.0 recently and it was ok- but I wouldn’t say it was night and day over the 3.6. Some differences, but I wouldn’t have noticed much if I wasn’t looking specifically.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
After test driving 5 Different jeeps from Rubicons to Saharas with 3.6 and 2.0 Turbo, I can confidently say that the 3.6 felt awkward, and misplaced in the jeep. First off, It made the entire vehicle feel heavy, stiff, and tough to manuver. Getting on the highway it took far to long to get the power I needed to successfully merge into traffic. Stop/Start with this engine was loud, rough, and laggy on take off. I have no experience with the 6 speed manual, so that might be a different story. From what I gathered on all my different examples is that the 2.0 Turbo was extremely smooth in all aspects, city and highway and effortlessly operated the engine stop/start feature. It was bearly noticeable and power was instant on take off and through the mid rpms. Zero lag from a Stop Start Situation. By the end of my drives I had not noticed that the stop start had occurred until the engine turned back on (which it did quietly). These reasons are why I personally believe the 2.0 is a better engine in this platform and the way to go unless you are holding out for a diesel. My 2019 JLUR Mojito is going to have the 2.0 and I'm extremely excited to be able to drive it everyday.
Your account of how the 3.6 performed is COMPLETELY different than mine, and as much as I have read, opposite of most every article/review I've found. I feel like this motor, coupled with the 8 speed trans, is great! I love mine, for sure. No regrets.

I didn't own a JK, but from reports, the 8 speed makes ALL the difference, with several saying they simply can't believe this is the same motor. The trans made THAT big a difference. I guess in this case, YMMV.

OP
OP
0iiiiiii0

0iiiiiii0

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aside from the other reasons mentioned above, I also don't like the idea of having to put premium octane in the 2.0...seems to cut into any real difference in MPG efficiency.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I have a 3.6 V6 auto. I recently drove the 2.0T and liked it. If the 2.0T were available when I ordered my Jeep, I probably would have gone that route but it's not night and day as one of the other posters stated. The FCA 2.0T falls short of the 2.0T motors available the big three Germans. And I'm not talking about the souped up 375hp AMG version or even the ~300hp version in the Audi S3. I think the FCA 2.0T falls short of the ~250hp 2.0T motors from Audi and BMW (which are likely significantly underrated).

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Aside from the other reasons mentioned above, I also don't like the idea of having to put premium octane in the 2.0...seems to cut into any real difference in MPG efficiency.
That. If the net result after all is said and done is the same cost ($2000 more for the engine and then the cost of premium gas)- I see no benefit unless there is a big difference in how it performs.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Clarification on a few points mentioned earlier. The 3.6 Pentastar engine has been available for 5 years in the JK, but it was previously paired with a 5-speed transmission. The JL was the introduction of the 8-speed, which completely changed the experience. I drove the JL in both the V6 and 2.0T and found them to be remarkably similar. The 2.0T has good acceleration after a slight turbo lag. The V6 may not be not as quick at 15-40mph, but would most likely be faster at 40-60 acceleration. But both differences will be negligible.

Regarding the BSG, it is my understanding that they will be introduced on 2019 models but possibly not right away. I've heard the first of January, but FCA is notoriously tight-lipped about that. For what its worth, here would be my 2-cents. I would make my decision based on how long you plan to own the Jeep. One of the big benefits of the pre-BSG V6 is its simplicity - no turbocharger, no supercharger, etc. This means that once it's out of warranty, handy people can work it on it themselves or find a relatively inexpensive mechanic to make simple repairs. And fewer moving parts to break.

However if you plan to own the Jeep only while it's under warranty (either the standard 3 years, or with an extended warranty that you purchase), go for the BSG and take advantage of the fuel economy improvements. If anything breaks, FCA is on the hook to fix it.

But personally I wouldn't want to own one out of warranty.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
For me, part of the appeal of the Wrangler is its simplicity. I don't want a Wrangler that is approaching the complexity of a Tesla.

And ... the 2.0T certainly adds a lot of complexity -- an additional battery that is expensive, heavy and vulnerably-placed, an additional cooling system, additional heat lines, additional wiring and compute, etc, and it seems like there are still a good number of people experiencing, shall we say, "growing pains" with the new 2.0T powerplant and its supportive technologies.

I do like the thought of the improved fuel economy of the 2.0T while still having good HP/TQ, but the additional $1000 upfront cost and additional cost of premium fuel at every single fill-up -- an additional $5 every fill by my calc -- mitigates those 'savings' to a great extent, at least with today's fuel costs. (If gas jumps to $10/gal, that would be different, but at that point, we'll all have a LOT bigger things to worry about!)

Like most hybrids, the 2.0T break-even is far beyond the initial buyer's average ownership duration. i.e., average owners likely won't even 'break even' on the surcharge-vs-savings payback chart until almost 70,000 miles or so. (assuming a 35 cent price diff per gallon, an avg 5mpg improvement and NO increased maintenence cost of the 2.0T -- not sure if there is no additional maint on the 2.0T or not)

Intially, I thought I would get the 2.0T, but after seeing the additional complexity, cost and premium fuel mandate -- it's not for me. However, it's good to have choices, and I wouldn't criticize others for choosing it.

Just another man's opinion, YMMV, etc etc.

Last edited:

Snowjeep

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Ridgeline
Just posted this in another thread :(
I spoke with a Denver Jeep dealer as I have been a royal PITA hounding all of the local dealers to speak with their reps about the 3.6 WITH BSG potential 25R option and was told that they spoke with their FCA rep for the region and it was definitively decided that that 3.6 with BSG is NOT going to happen. (I wanted it to). The reason the General Manager gave me was that they do plan to discontinue the 3.6 soon and that they were not going to be developing the platform further for the Jeep specifically. This info came on the heels of me telling them I would be there tomorrow to place my order if they tell me when its available to order and that I was only interested in that option.
Well JLEngineline who... works on the JL engine line, said this about what is currently happening and soon to be happening for engine options on the JL.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/engines-current-and-future.16667/#post-416983
He sure thinks the 3.6 BSG will be hitting soon for the 2019's.

Se7enrex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s2000, 4runner