BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
Has BSG been confirmed? By whom?
It’s been common knowledge for quite a long time. We will get to see the new engine when the Ram 1500 eTorque comes out this summer. Same engine that’s going in the Jeep.

It’s part of FCA trying to manage mpg requirements.
Sponsored

N75

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
What changes, particularly for the 2 door are we looking at for 2019? Seems a Sahara trim will become available for the 2 door. Colors? Hopefully wheel options?
You have any firm proof of that Sahara claim?

jeepinoutwest

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport, 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere
Yes Ive been hearing about BSG for a long time too, but I've seen nothing from Fiat so far saying its for sure in the jeep. Seems odd they would make a version of the stop/start 3.6 for just the '18 model year.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Someone posted a document from FCA showing the 2019 model year and beyond and it showed 3.6 BSG added to the lineup for 2019. Since it is standard in the 2019 dodge and the four-cylinder turbo comes with it standard now we all assume in 2019 3.6 BSG will be standard in the JL as well. The real oddball will be a 2018 JL 2 door with 3.6 ESS only. I was not a fan of BSG but since everything is going to have it the aftermarket support will be incredible they’re already talking about all kinds of various cool things you’ll be able to run off the generator. The new Jeep pick up truck will have it , the dodge trucks will have it , the wranglers will have it, so whether we like it or not it’s the future and that’s why I am waiting for a 19 , not because I like BSG but because I don’t want to be left out of the aftermarket and I do not want a very rare very limited run of the 3-4 months of 3.6 ESS only , in years from now I’ll wish I waited and got the new tech. When the aftermarket comes out for the 2019 wrangler there will be little foot notes that say “Excludes 2018 JL with 3.6 ESS only”

Sponsored

jeepinoutwest

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport, 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere
Good point about the oddball status. I am one of those awaiting the 2 door. I just hope BSG is as easily defeatable as the ESS is.

Fullas21

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Wasn't there a prototype testing photo of FCA testing a Wrangler that had some sort of sensor or camera near the rear-view mirror? Looked a heck of a lot like they're preparing for adaptive cruise or auto-emergency braking. I'm hoping they implement it.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Like what?
Like have you ever been camping , then gone camping with a Honda generator. Like that. Think of camping in 1890 to 1990. Have a little imagination also 48 V opens up a lot of possibilities on its own. Plus the thought of having electricity and a back up battery with you wherever you go is just the beginning. The limitations have always been 12V and a alternator. Current power inverters have limitations. With a generator everything is different.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Like have you ever been camping , then gone camping with a Honda generator. Like that.like camping in 1890 to 1990. Have a little imagination also 48 V opens up a lot of possibilities on its own. Plus the thought of having electricity and a back battery with you wherever you go is just the beginning. The limitations have always been 12V and a alternator power inverters have limitations. With a generator everything is different.
The BSG battery is only 0.3 kWh though. That's like half the capacity of the 12V battery.

I don't know much about how generators are better than alternators, so I would be interested in learning that aspect.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
The BSG battery is only 0.3 kWh though. That's like half the capacity of the 12V battery.

I don't know much about how generators are better than alternators, so I would be interested in learning that aspect.
I’m sure glad you’re not in New product development. Lol Wait a year or two the aftermarket will explain all its capabilities and you’ll be amazed at what’s coming I promise. Additionally at some point the 12 V automotive system will be antiquated and will look back on it like we do the 6 V systems from the 50s.

JBails33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prospective JLU/JT owner
I think since the Sahara is supposed to be the more upscale and “luxurious” trim, I’m surprised the LED lighting isn’t standard. I do hope it becomes an option on the Sport/S models come 2019. But I guess time will tell

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250

Well, the current ESS battery is probably around that size, but a) we don't know how big the BSG battery will be, and b) a 48V .3kWh batter is 4x as much juice as a 12V one.

*edit - looks like the battery in the RAM is 430Wh, which at 48V is a pretty good amount of juice to run your fridge and camp lights with.

** http://autoweek.com/article/technology/2019-ram-etorque-system-torque-down-low