2019 Model Year Jeep JL production has begun today

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
I never go to a dealer without making sure I know exactly everything that is available, exactly what I want and exactly how much I am prepared to pay for those options.

After decades of buying cars, I've found that in the vast majority of cases, what the salesperson says is just flat out wrong as far as what the options are and with what other options they are available. True, sometimes the web configurator is wrong too, but it is far more accurate on average than salespeople.

Perhaps I am alone on this, and most other people actually enjoy going to the dealer and spending all day chit chatting with the salesperson, asking him/her to go over all the options and lists over and over while they ponder their choices.

No you're not alone on this. I completely agree.
Again with the Kool Aid excuse making for FCA. Every normal import has updated for 2019.
Can you build and order 2018? No! FCA - fix the damn configurator.
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I never go to a dealer without making sure I know exactly everything that is available, exactly what I want and exactly how much I am prepared to pay for those options.

After decades of buying cars, I've found that in the vast majority of cases, what the salesperson says is just flat out wrong as far as what the options are and with what other options they are available. True, sometimes the web configurator is wrong too, but it is far more accurate on average than salespeople.

Perhaps I am alone on this, and most other people actually enjoy going to the dealer and spending all day chit chatting with the salesperson, asking him/her to go over all the options and lists over and over while they ponder their choices.
Guess what, the 2018 online configurators never mention Katzkin leather options or things like the Mopar tailgate reinforcement either. Somehow, customers visit dealers and place orders for those options as well. Find a good dealer who knows what they are doing and is willing to go over the ordering process with you, it you are truly interested in ordering a 2019, and not just playing on a website.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
No you're not alone on this. I completely agree.
Again with the Kool Aid excuse making for FCA. Every normal import has updated for 2019.
Can you build and order 2018? No! FCA - fix the damn configurator.
The configurator was consistently wrong on numerous things when they were *making* 2018's, so if you are waiting for it to be "right" once it's updated for 2019 before you place an order you will probably wait a long time. Meanwhile the actual official ordering guides for the 2019's are online and available here, just as they were for the 2018's. Not making "excuses" for anyone, merely pointing out the reality. Wanting it to be different, no matter how hard one wants, won't make it so.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Guess what, the 2018 online configurators never mention Katzkin leather options or things like the Mopar tailgate reinforcement either. Somehow, customers visit dealers and place orders for those options as well. Find a good dealer who knows what they are doing and is willing to go over the ordering process with you, it you are truly interested in ordering a 2019, and not just playing on a website.
I don't care about all the dealer-installed accessories that are available post-build -- plenty of time later to add those and for EXACTLY the same price (or less!) than if I add them at order time.

I don't have a problem with the "order process" nor do I need a dealer to "walk me through it' -- it is the pre-order research that I need. If I have the info, I can decide at my leisure, and then call in my order and have the dealer email over the sales contract for me to sign. Absolutely no need for me to waste a day physically sitting at the dealership having him 'talk me through it" and hold my hand.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't care about all the dealer-installed accessories that are available post-build -- plenty of time later to add those and for EXACTLY the same price (or less!) than if I add them at order time.

I don't have a problem with the "order process" nor do I need a dealer to "walk me through it' -- it is the pre-order research that I need. If I have the info, I can decide at my leisure, and then call in my order and have the dealer email over the sales contract for me to sign. Absolutely no need for me to waste a day physically sitting at the dealership having him 'talk me through it" and hold my hand.
I spent maybe 10 minutes on the phone with my dealer placing a 2019 order. She called back once asking if I wanted things that I possibly forgot to mention (like the wheel upgrade). Placing an order isn't an all day process, its about 15 minutes if you find a good dealer. If you've spent anytime on this forum you know there really isn't much different for 2019 (Bikini color, Advanced Safety Group). What Information would make you ready to place an order? What pre-order information are you looking for? If Jeep made a 2019 configurator available today, what would make you go to a dealer and place an order, or make you wait 6 months or a year? You can't even go to a dealer and test drive a 2019 for a few more weeks (at least).

Sponsored

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
I spent maybe 10 minutes on the phone with my dealer placing a 2019 order. She called back once asking if I wanted things that I possibly forgot to mention (like the wheel upgrade). Placing an order isn't an all day process, its about 15 minutes if you find a good dealer. If you've spent anytime on this forum you know there really isn't much different for 2019 (Bikini color, Advanced Safety Group). What Information would make you ready to place an order? What pre-order information are you looking for? If Jeep made a 2019 configurator available today, what would make you go to a dealer and place an order, or make you wait 6 months or a year? You can't even go to a dealer and test drive a 2019 for a few more weeks (at least).
Again, it's not the order process I need help with. The way you ordered would be pretty much what I would do. Maybe I like to think and deliberate too much on options, while others just either take what is on the lot, or have a much fatter wallet, so they can just say "order every option!" and be done with it.

My main complaint is that while I know dealers would MUCH rather sell to low-information buyers, it is aggravating to be TREATED as a low-info buyer when you are not. Most other brands do a much better job at getting this info out, but Jeep knows it has a captive audience with the Wrangler (where else are going to go?), so there is little incentive for them to improve. You'll happily take the information whenever we darn well feel like giving it out, and if you don't like it -- too bad! No Jeep for you! Next buyer! seems to be the attitude. Wranglers are currently selling like hotcakes, so their practices don't seem to matter.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My main complaint is that while I know dealers would MUCH rather sell to low-information buyers, it is aggravating to be TREATED as a low-info buyer when you are not.
You don't think someone would get annoyed if they built a 2019 online and then showed up to a dealer to test drive a 2019, only to have only 2018s on the lot? You think the dealers want to tell someone "No, that isn't available yet, come back in a few weeks."

I'm sure the online builder will be updated in a couple weeks, around the time 2019 builds are arriving at dealers, when people can actually test drive 2019s. The dealers are still trying to move 2018 JLs and JKs. Besides, as most informed people know, 2018 and 2019 are basically the same thing.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
You don't think someone would get annoyed if they built a 2019 online and then showed up to a dealer to test drive a 2019, only to have only 2018s on the lot? You think the dealers want to tell someone "No, that isn't available yet, come back in a few weeks."

I'm sure the online builder will be updated in a couple weeks, around the time 2019 builds are arriving at dealers, when people can actually test drive 2019s. The dealers are still trying to move 2018 JLs and JKs. Besides, as most informed people know, 2018 and 2019 are basically the same thing.

I'd be much MORE annoyed to have the website invite me to build "the all new 2018 Wrangler" online to my exact specs, and then go to the dealer to order and be told that 2018 production stopped MONTHS ago.

And no, I don't agree that my local dealer has to have a particular model IN STOCK in order for the web page to allow me to build it. I think most reasonable people wouldn't lose it if they went to the dealer and found out that actual in-stock models would be arriving in a week or two, but they could order one immediately using the 2019 specs and options provided on the website.

I guess what you are saying is that for "most informed people", "2019's are kinda the same thing as 2018's but different" is good enough information? Why *ever* update the website at all if the changes are not "major" from year to year?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I never go to a dealer without making sure I know exactly everything that is available, exactly what I want and exactly how much I am prepared to pay for those options. I acquire that knowledge by going over published option sheets and experimenting with different vehicle "builds" on the manufacturer's website. I cannot do my research and 'test builds' by sitting in a genuine chrome and Naugahyde client chair whilst the Salesperson tells me about options and his opinion of them.

Additionally, after decades of buying cars, I've found that in the vast majority of cases, what the salesperson says is just flat out wrong as far as what the options are and with what other options they are available. True, sometimes the web configurator is wrong too, but it is far more accurate on average than salespeople.

Which is what the order guide is for. Even it has a few glitches but for the most part is the only accurate tool to help you prepare an order.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
My replacement jl is now in transit.

Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Which is what the order guide is for. Even it has a few glitches but for the most part is the only accurate tool to help you prepare an order.
I used the order guide exclusively to build out my rig as well. Seems to be the only way to get an accurate idea of the actual costs, given that the configurator pricing was always off and options were missing. Plus, it's mandatory if you're trying to get the best price.

But... that's not how it should be. I'm a growing Jeep fanboy, and even I haven't chugged that much Kool-aid. The configurator is junk, a silly novelty at best, and Jeep should be ashamed. I'm not asking for a deep religious experience, just all the options at the right prices. And not updating to 2019? That's just shamefully lazy at this point. Yes, we know there are few changes--that's what makes it all the more embarrassing.

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
I used the order guide exclusively to build out my rig as well. Seems to be the only way to get an accurate idea of the actual costs, given that the configurator pricing was always off and options were missing. Plus, it's mandatory if you're trying to get the best price.

But... that's not how it should be. I'm a growing Jeep fanboy, and even I haven't chugged that much Kool-aid. The configurator is junk, a silly novelty at best, and Jeep should be ashamed. I'm not asking for a deep religious experience, just all the options at the right prices. And not updating to 2019? That's just shamefully lazy at this point. Yes, we know there are few changes--that's what makes it all the more embarrassing.
Dude you're preaching to the choir, but this is how ALL car dealership models work.

If you want a better order experiencing your only option is Tesla.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
For anyone looking to build a 19' Wrangler online, Costo auto is pretty accurate when I configured mine in September. Prices change with each revision of the order guide and they kept up the last time I checked. And the number I got from Marco at Chriswell Jeep was the same before the discounts.
https://www.costcoauto.com/

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Dude you're preaching to the choir, but this is how ALL car dealership models work.

If you want a better order experiencing your only option is Tesla.
Yes, but with Tesla you pay MSRP.

Dark-R

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Yes, but with Tesla you pay MSRP.
i owned 2 Teslas, 2014 and 2017. I owned many cars in the past and I have to say that i had the worse experience with Tesla.
Sponsored