2019 Moab Labor Day Safari

Truax

First Name
Brennen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is anyone here going to the Labor Day Safari in Moab this year? I went last year by myself had a good time, it would be nice to know a couple other people this year.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah I registered....not that I remember what trails I chose now

I didn't realize the format had changed, it was way cooler when it was a true campout (er I'm sorry is that called "over landing" now???)

Years ago I did Hole in the Rock, Top of the World and Hotel Rock on different Labor Days

OP
OP
Truax

Truax

First Name
Brennen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Last year was my first time and it set up at the camp ground, so I missed all the real camping. I did hells revenge and steel bender last year and signed up for backwards bill, gold bar rim and fins and things this year. I'm going to try to hit a couple other trails if there is some free time.

I am debating on driving down to Colorado after and checking out black bear pass and imogene pass before heading back to AZ.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Last year was my first time and it set up at the camp ground, so I missed all the real camping. I did hells revenge and steel bender last year and signed up for backwards bill, gold bar rim and fins and things this year. I'm going to try to hit a couple other trails if there is some free time.

I am debating on driving down to Colorado after and checking out black bear pass and imogene pass before heading back to AZ.
If you wanted to do that we could certainly consider the CO thing, that's my backyard

OP
OP
Truax

Truax

First Name
Brennen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you wanted to do that we could certainly consider the CO thing, that's my backyard
That would be awesome, we will have to talk about that as it gets closer.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well, I wanted to be outta here 2 hours ago but we're about to head out.

I always chuckle at a ~$46k Jeep (before mods) behind a tow rig I paid $14k for....

IMG_20190830_175518953_HDR.jpg

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well, someone was out on Poison Spider and Where Eagles Dare in an Ocean Blue JLUR, the only mod I could make out was 35's.

Props to you! I personally wouldn't want to run out there without a lift. I mean I know it's entirely possible , it would just be a careful ballet dance of tire placement. I ran Flat Iron Mesa in my JLUR stock w 33's and didn't have any problems but had to choose my lines with great care.

ANYWAY, this GC got sketchy on Eagles Dare, I really thought he was going over for a second (is it wrong that I was most concerned about the beautiful Golden Retriever in the vehicle??). He lost forward momentum and then there was NO restarting. He backed up (gently, to his credit) but the second he stabbed the brakes the heavier nose wanted to swap ends with the rear of the vehicle.

It's - of course - much steeper than the pic makes it appear. The RR4W did a great job winching him up.

To add insult to injury their vehicle was overheating whenever they ran the a/c and the guy wound up with some form of heat stroke. Someone else in our group drove his rig out. I was glad for the a/c in my JLUR, but I'm still severely dehydrated from the 100+ temps at the peak of the day

Didn't really get any shots of my JLUR on the trail, I didn't seem to have a need to constantly be recording myself on my phone for my YT channel....

IMG_20190831_134955641_HDR.jpg

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Here's a shot of the Cameo Cliffs area with the La Sals in the background, this was on Jax Trax yesterday:

IMG_20190901_143300034.jpg

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Ran Kane Creek today, man that trail really has gotten harder since I last ran it circa '02.

Anyway, I was really happy with how the rig performed, I really felt like my plan of slightly less lift height, slightly larger rubber, keeping the weight down and ground clearance high worked as I had hoped. Then again everyone probably CHOOSES to believe their build plan is working just great....

Another guy on the run who wasn't a great driver was telling me how he's "got plans for $7000 worth of mods to his JLUR".....I just smiled while silently shaking my head....money won't buy ya skill....but whatever

Anyway made it up the harder right side of Hamburger Hill...no pics.

Here's a couple shots...
1 - the Trash Panda is psyched to start the day
2 - a little obstacle right after Hamburger Hill
3 - the final ledge to get out (which of course don't look like much in pics)

16288.jpeg

16287.jpeg

16285.jpeg

OP
OP
Truax

Truax

First Name
Brennen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well, someone was out on Poison Spider and Where Eagles Dare in an Ocean Blue JLUR, the only mod I could make out was 35's.

Props to you! I personally wouldn't want to run out there without a lift. I mean I know it's entirely possible , it would just be a careful ballet dance of tire placement. I ran Flat Iron Mesa in my JLUR stock w 33's and didn't have any problems but had to choose my lines with great care.

ANYWAY, this GC got sketchy on Eagles Dare, I really thought he was going over for a second (is it wrong that I was most concerned about the beautiful Golden Retriever in the vehicle??). He lost forward momentum and then there was NO restarting. He backed up (gently, to his credit) but the second he stabbed the brakes the heavier nose wanted to swap ends with the rear of the vehicle.

It's - of course - much steeper than the pic makes it appear. The RR4W did a great job winching him up.

To add insult to injury their vehicle was overheating whenever they ran the a/c and the guy wound up with some form of heat stroke. Someone else in our group drove his rig out. I was glad for the a/c in my JLUR, but I'm still severely dehydrated from the 100+ temps at the peak of the day

Didn't really get any shots of my JLUR on the trail, I didn't seem to have a need to constantly be recording myself on my phone for my YT channel....

IMG_20190831_134955641_HDR.jpg
I did this run too, that ended up being a long day. Where eagles dare is my favorite trail now. Thoes climbs were awesome, I plan on doing it again the next time I go up.
20190831_120656.jpg
20190831_122541.jpg
Sponsored