2019 JLUS 6spd - valve rattle, knock?

xj884x4

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78CJ5, 88XJ, 97ZJ, 02WJ, 04WJ, 05TJ, 19JLUS
I have 8.8k on my 2019 JLUS with manual trans. Since day 1, when shifting from 1st to 2nd and getting back on the gas with clutch pedal all the way back up, i get this valve rattle sound, kinda sounds like a diesel engine idling, but only does it for a fraction of a second until the load is back on the engine. Also does it in 3rd gear. Now its much louder and more frequent than the first few thousand miles. Oddly, does not happen in first gear unless you are getting ready to truly stall. On my 1 to 2 shift, the noise occurs anytime the engine RPM is below 1600 when in 2nd gear, so its not stalling or starving for fuel. This condition is most common in neighborhoods, especially after you come to a stop sign or maybe slow down to round a corner. It isn't shift related, as I can stay in 2nd gear, tap the gas, and make it do it every time the engine is below 1600rpm. I have a 6spd TJ, 3spd CJ, and none of them make this knocking/preignition noise at ANY rpm. I captured audio of it and posted in this thread. The audio is me staying in 2nd gear, get on and off the gas (not stomping, just normal acceleration). The harder you press the gas after being off of it, the louder the noise is. Audio isn't perfect but you can hear it every 4-5 seconds in the sound clip. It's actually quite loud in person, and I can hear it well with windows up and windows down its super loud. very annoying and disappointed. I'm headed to dealership next week for various other issues (squeeling brakes 100% of the time hot or cold, ESS non functional b/c of clutch switch (2nd attempt to fix). I find the manual driveline to be quite sloppy too at highway, if you are off the gas and get back in it, there's a huge clunk from taking up all the slack. I digress - any thoughts on the noise? Running 87 octane, name brands.

Sponsored

jkill

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I have the exact same knock and complaint since new (7800 miles now). i also had the SUPER LOUD Radiator fan when the AC is running.

I was in for an oil change and had to twist their arms to do the software upgrade for the radiator solution (TSB 18-041-18 REV B). They didn't even know about it. They had it for an entire day and told me that there was nothing they could do about the radiator running SUPER LOUD. They say it was normal (this was a phone conversation). I opened my browser to this forum, opened the thread on Radiator Fan being SUPER LOUD and read them the TSB number. They played dumb, but called me back two hours later saying they think that TSB resolved the radiator.

I drove the Jeep home and I think the radiator was a little better, but what I did notice was that the Knock Sound had been all but eliminated. I can honestly say, that there must be something in that TSB SW load that addressed the knocking issue. Jeep doesn't seem to want to admit most problems, but they seemed to have sneaked a solution into that SW load. It is not 100%, but I can honestly say it is 95% resolved. I run 87 octane NAME BRAND gas only (Chevron/Texaco/Amoco).

The knock I was getting was the exact same as yours. Only when entering 2nd and 3rd gears (manual) and when under immediate engine load. It almost sounded like someone hawking a loogie. It only happened when the engine was warmed to normal operating temp. Never happened with a cold engine.

Have your dealer apply the TSB. I think you might be 95% satisfied with the solution.

I say it is not 100% only because it was 100 degrees and 100% humidity the other day, and the knock seemed to return. But under 95 degrees it seems to be resolved.

Good Luck!

-Jason

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Hard to hear it in the audio but I do hear it.

I have the same pinging/ pre-detonation type noise and so do many others. Along with auto trans owners.

Going to try some 91 next tank. Have you tried that?

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
There is a long thread on the topic if you search. For me and many others, running high octane gas helps. I run 93. I have the exact same issue. Its the low speed, lower RPM shifts in the 25 mph neighbor hood where you hear it. And most shifts at low speed when climbing hills. Its very disappointing the Jeep doesn't fix it.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I tried 91. Still on the first tank. Already noticed a difference. Only heard it once or twice when the engine was much more lugged. Didnā€™t hear it under acceleration.

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I once heard something (correct me if wrong) gas used to get summer "additives" to reduce emissions, I wonder if thats still true.

MOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JLUW 2.0T (Hella Yella), ā€˜23 JLW 2.0T (Sarge)
I use BP 93 plus Lucasoil octane booster and all my similar issues went away after two tanks.

OP
OP
xj884x4

xj884x4

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While at dealer for various fixes I had service tech ride with me to listen to the noise, he heard it too. Said all they could probably do is a PCM and BCM/cluster flash on it. They did that but it didn't work. It did seem to take out some of the drivetrain slack at highway speeds though, not sure if there was a fix for that in the software since November but did seem to help, maybe they changed the fuel map a bit in coast to re-accelerate conditions.

I'll try a bottle of octane booster next few times and/or tank of 93 octane and see if that helps. I'll probably still run 87 and deal with the noise, 89/93 is too pricey -- if that was the case I would have considered the turbo 2.0L since it gets higher MPG but needs higher octane to get there.

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
I have a 6cyl 6spd and mine knocks just at idle, sounds like a diesel. Worse accelerating until about 3k rpm. I've tried 91 octane gas and octane booster on top of that. Same/no change.

Just sounds like a $50k clunker.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 6cyl 6spd and mine knocks just at idle, sounds like a diesel. Worse accelerating until about 3k rpm. I've tried 91 octane gas and octane booster on top of that. Same/no change.

Just sounds like a $50k clunker.
I know this is an old post and usually don't dig things up but now it's spring and I'm driving with the windows down and tops off also hearing this ping/valve clatter. I can't tell if it's the motor or maybe clutch noise (with the dual clutch). It seems to be a manual trans issue. Any updates on it? I've also tried tanks of 91 octane with no change.

I have a four month old 2020 model so I would guess it has the latest PCM software.

Sponsored

OP
OP
xj884x4

xj884x4

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know this is an old post and usually don't dig things up but now it's spring and I'm driving with the windows down and tops off also hearing this ping/valve clatter. I can't tell if it's the motor or maybe clutch noise (with the dual clutch). It seems to be a manual trans issue. Any updates on it? I've also tried tanks of 91 octane with no change.

I have a four month old 2020 model so I would guess it has the latest PCM software.
Nothing resolved on mine. 93 octane takes care of it but its designed for 87 and shouldn't have preignition with 87, certainly not being a more or less carry-over engine from JK era. Brands of gas at 87/89/91 don't seem to matter either. I have a laundry list of issues I plan to get fixed with JeepCares (they said they'd help in a PM but never responded to me) after this COVID thing is over. Good luck with yours, let us know if anything fixes it.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Nothing resolved on mine. 93 octane takes care of it but its designed for 87 and shouldn't have preignition with 87, certainly not being a more or less carry-over engine from JK era. Brands of gas at 87/89/91 don't seem to matter either. I have a laundry list of issues I plan to get fixed with JeepCares (they said they'd help in a PM but never responded to me) after this COVID thing is over. Good luck with yours, let us know if anything fixes it.
We sincerely apologize that our team did not respond to your message in February. I have responded now. We would like to continue this conversation to assist while at the dealer.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Well... I have something to report regarding the pinging (at least in my case). I finally installed my mishimoto catch can this weekend. Filled the tank with 91 octane and the pinging is gone. I've tried running 91 octane before and it had no effect so I truly believe the catch can collection of oil through the crankcase ventilation system has had a positive effect!

Safeen

First Name
Safeen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler, 2015 Chrysler 300c
Hard to hear it in the audio but I do hear it.

I have the same pinging/ pre-detonation type noise and so do many others. Along with auto trans owners.

Going to try some 91 next tank. Have you tried that?
I am using premium fuel on my 2019 sahara, almost keep knocking and predetonate continously

Noonanj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
So I have a 2018 jlu manual trans and have had it in the shop 5x for this sound and they keep saying canā€™t hear it. Last time went to a different shop and they thought it was Cat converter and replaced it. Had the top and doors off for a couple weeks so couldnā€™t hear anything. Weather change put everything back on and thought was gone and then there it is same as before. Now out of warranty so I am hoping they still help here. Itā€™s a shame that I only have 17k miles and sounds like junk. Same noise you all are describing. Honestly Iā€™m so sick of dealing with this. Jeepcares can you help?
Sponsored