Sponsored

2019 JLUS 3.6 MT Delayed Start when cold?

xj884x4

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78CJ5, 88XJ, 97ZJ, 02WJ, 04WJ, 05TJ, 19JLUS
My 2019 3.6L ESS manaul trans JLUS is taking anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds before the starter turns over -- just noticed it when temps hit <25*F this week in NC. Got in, push clutch, push-in + hold starter button, "RUN" illuminates, but nothing happens while I hold button down. Try it again, same result, then tried ACC mode then RUN, no dice. 4th time thru it cranked. No codes generated via my BlueDriver app. I did see a red lightning bolt illuminate just above the center instrument cluster digital temp gauge for about 1 second but I assume that's almost like a "bulb check" during startup and not indicating a problem. I assume red lightning bolt indicates engine is over temp? Image attached.

On a side note, I have a major ESS error that pops up about every time I drive, related to the Clutch A/B Position mis-match that ends up disabling the ESS. Not sure if that could be causing my issue with the delayed starting. I did push in fuses and all that stuff when I bought it, which were half hanging out, so unlikely culprit. Haven't played with the doors since it's winter time.

Anyone else have this issue with Manual trans, or even Auto with the 3.6L?

20190123_145610.jpg
Sponsored

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I'm in Wisconsin. Its been MUCH colder than that here and my 18 JLURMT starts right up. I'd say your clutch code could be related and I'd get it looked at.

Edit: That light is the Electronic Throttle Control Warning light.If it turns on while the vehicle is running see a dealer. If it flashes while the vehicle is running "immediate service is required and you may experience reduced performance ..." It cycles when you turn the vehicle on as a bulb check. See manual page 203/204.