2019 JLUR Soft Top Not Reaching Latch

Grant

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 (Ordered) JLUR, Punkin’, 3.6 Auto,
Good evening, Forum. I just finished installing the SoftTop for Spring. I ran into an issue of the top falling about an inch and a half short and the patches are unable to do their thing. Anyone else have this experience and know what I’m doing wrong? Thank you.

Grant
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Good evening, Forum. I just finished installing the SoftTop for Spring. I ran into an issue of the top falling about an inch and a half short and the patches are unable to do their thing. Anyone else have this experience and know what I’m doing wrong? Thank you.

Grant
Sounds like it's too cold. The fabric doesn't stretch well under 70 degrees or so (at least from what I've heard).

OP
OP
Grant

Grant

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like it's too cold. The fabric doesn't stretch well under 70 degrees or so (at least from what I've heard).
Thank you. I sure hope it’s that simple. Pretty bummed I couldn’t complete this tonight. Frustrating being that close and not get it working 100% Looks fantastic though — just the top on safari style. Have a good night.

Grant

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Thank you. I sure hope it’s that simple. Pretty bummed I couldn’t complete this tonight. Frustrating being that close and not get it working 100% Looks fantastic though — just the top on safari style. Have a good night.

Grant
Try taking the top off, leave it in the house for the day, and try again tomorrow. If you can park it in the sun, that would help too

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Just to add - found this in the owners manual...

If the temperature is below 72°F (24°C) and/or the top has been folded down for a period of time, the top will appear to have shrunk when you raise it, making it difficult to put up. This is caused by a natural contraction of the vinyl or acrylic materials of the fabric top.
Place the vehicle in a warm area. Pull steadily on the top fabric. The vinyl will stretch back to its original size and the top can then be installed. If the temperature is 41°F (5°C) or below, do not attempt to put the top down or roll the rear or side curtains.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Grant

Grant

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to add - found this in the owners manual...

If the temperature is below 72°F (24°C) and/or the top has been folded down for a period of time, the top will appear to have shrunk when you raise it, making it difficult to put up. This is caused by a natural contraction of the vinyl or acrylic materials of the fabric top.
Place the vehicle in a warm area. Pull steadily on the top fabric. The vinyl will stretch back to its original size and the top can then be installed. If the temperature is 41°F (5°C) or below, do not attempt to put the top down or roll the rear or side curtains.
Awesome, thank you for sharing that. I was viewing QT’s YouTube installation video when I attempted to install. I didn’t even think of the OM. I thought I was home free, than . . . came up short. Sigh. Thanks, agai, for posting. Enjoy your night.

Grant

Papi4baby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Mine looked like that too, you have to force it the first time, and also the latches reach out farther than on the JK. Make sure you play with the latches.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Try leaving the top on, but unlatched and put the heat on in the Jeep full blast for a while. It'll warm it up from the inside and you'll be able to stretch the fabric. Just don't do this in a closed garage (for obvious reasons).

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
With my old JK I usually just put the soft top out in the sun while I removed the hard top (takes a while since I have to empty my garage to get the jeep in and hoist the top off). By the time I'm done with that the top is nice and hot and stretched back out. Did the same with my TJ.

OP
OP
Grant

Grant

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try leaving the top on, but unlatched and put the heat on in the Jeep full blast for a while. It'll warm it up from the inside and you'll be able to stretch the fabric. Just don't do this in a closed garage (for obvious reasons).
That sounds like a good idea, thank you.

Sponsored

Jeepneck

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepnecks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
Occupation
Real Estate Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having a similar problem but temperature is not an issue and it's not a new install. We took the windows out on the premium soft top and pulled the top all the way back as we usually do with no problem. Then it began to rain and I ran out to put the top on but it would not shut. Seemed to have gotten in a bit of a bind and can't off the track. I put it back on the track easily but now the top will not close being an inch or so too short to latch . Any suggestions?

Rey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I'm having a similar problem but temperature is not an issue and it's not a new install. We took the windows out on the premium soft top and pulled the top all the way back as we usually do with no problem. Then it began to rain and I ran out to put the top on but it would not shut. Seemed to have gotten in a bit of a bind and can't off the track. I put it back on the track easily but now the top will not close being an inch or so too short to latch . Any suggestions?
Jeepneck. I have the same issue right now. The passenger side is moving freely but the driver's side seems to be binding at the junction where the lock/unlock switch is. Works fine coming down but I can only get to 1-1.5 inches from the front latches.

PrimetimeAD21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Unlimited Rubicon
Jeepneck. I have the same issue right now. The passenger side is moving freely but the driver's side seems to be binding at the junction where the lock/unlock switch is. Works fine coming down but I can only get to 1-1.5 inches from the front latches.
Ever find a solution to this? I’m having same issue. Does not seem like a temperature or tightness issue.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase

Grant
I had the same problem in April of 17. It was still cold out and I was over anxious to get the soft top on. I had to set a torpedo heater on a plank about roof high ( a good 10 feet back. You don't want to melt the sucker). I then had to unhook the back (the part right above the brake lights), hook the front, call my neighbor for help and pull that bad boy to hook the back again. Come next Spring no problem, nice and stretched out.

ndross475

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed a Mopar Premium soft top on my 18 JLU Sahara. Went very smoothly, followed the instructions watched a couple of YouTube videos top is on... It was not reaching at the front by an 1" or so upon initial installation, this seems to be normal. After about an hour in the sun on an 79 degree day I was able to engage the latches and tighten it up...

IMG_5126.jpg

IMG_5130.JPG
Sponsored