2019 JLUR New Noise In The Steering System

farrell5000

First Name
Farrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Hello all, my 2019 JLUR has developed a new noise in the steering. I can make the noise happen parked, engine running, turn the steering wheel back and forth to the limits of the slop. Your her a nock when changing directions.

While parked if I grab my drag link and give it a good hard wiggle I see and here a little slop and noise in the ball joint. I assume this is the issue. I will get it up on stands at some point and try to further diagnose the issue but i leave on a road trip tomorrow.

Couple questions.

1. Should the ball joint end of the drag link have any slop? I don't think so.

2. Assuming it is the ball joint on the drag link my assumption is it is safe to drive for quite a while longer as the slop is prety small and the noise is not to loud. Does anyone disagree?

I am headingout on a road trip tomorrow, probably around 1000 miles and don't plan to fix this till after the trip.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What do you mean by slop? In which direction?

OP
OP
farrell5000

farrell5000

First Name
Farrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
What do you mean by slop? In which direction?
If I reach under the front of my jeep and grab the hub end of my drag link, jerk it front to back a few times, I can feel and see a little slop in the ball joint, 1/16th or so of movement.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
That doesn't sound like something that would keep me from taking a trip.

But like you said, I would address it upon return. I find it highly unlikely that any such noise issue would prove catastrophic over 1000 miles when you consider how these vehicles are designed to be used.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yea that’s going to be the problem. I recommend you order parts now and fix it in two months when they show up.
Sponsored