www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

howdy @Lok I was in your situation about 2 years ago. knew i wanted 35's on my sport but new if i did that i would eventually want 37's. I still am on 35's with my sport but I did save my money and went the route of geting a set of take off rubicon axles so to speak. Best thing ive done so far to my jeep was the axle swap. Currently we have the same setup. 2.5" lift and 35's ive done a few badge of honor trails with minor scraping on my 4door and have done many many miles of overlanding trails and roads with this setup. the best thing about adding the rubi axles with the 4.10 gears and E locker is you dont have the computer telling you when you can use you lockers like it does on the Rubicon models. I have mine wired to my switch pod relay system so i can run front or rear in HI or Low range. Currently waiting for the atlas t-case to become available so i can swap out my 2.73:1 sport case then im done with this until i decided to go to 37's in a couple years. My opinion is get a set of axles with the big break kit on it and swap that in and wheel it. dont for get that the rubi axle is 1.5 inch wider than the sports axles too. 35's look good on a 2.5" lift

gold mount flexing.jpg
Sponsored

Foxjeeps

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
last time I looked it was 5,500 without factoring in shipping which easily adds another 1,000
With my experience off-roading in my Stock JL sport S in FL and Moab Bronco offroadeo experience. The biggest thing that helped us with rock crawling was the sway bar disconnect. Most of the obstacles I only had the sway back disco engaged and we crawled up almost everything.

Keep in mind to save money if you havnt already done it.

287D6A55-5425-4AEB-BDE1-216D8ACE5169.jpeg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
With my experience off-roading in my Stock JL sport S in FL and Moab Bronco offroadeo experience. The biggest thing that helped us with rock crawling was the sway bar disconnect. Most of the obstacles I only had the sway back disco engaged and we crawled up almost everything.

Keep in mind to save money if you havnt already done it.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 JLU Sport S wanting to add lockers and 37s 287D6A55-5425-4AEB-BDE1-216D8ACE5169
I am pretty sure OP is disconnecting his sway bar as most of us are.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
last time I looked it was 5,500 without factoring in shipping which easily adds another 1,000
well, they’ve gone up quite a bit since the last time I looked evidently.

and yeah, freight estimated quote was around $400 iirc so that is a factor.

selectable lockers alone are about 2-2.4K so that’s a good chunk of the way there vs bolt in axle replacement.

Reactions: Lok

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
If you have a d44 rear already and plan to regear you can always grab a JT front axle to gain a narrow front d44. Just yet another option.

With having the capability to weld I have been searching for a set of JT take off axles. 3.73’s would be pretty close to stock sport gearing with 34s.

Or a set of JT Max tow axles to get wide, heavy wall and big brakes.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
well, they’ve gone up quite a bit since the last time I looked evidently.

and yeah, freight estimated quote was around $400 iirc so that is a factor.

selectable lockers alone are about 2-2.4K so that’s a good chunk of the way there vs bolt in axle replacement.
Yeah about 3k minimum installed. Add gears youre looking 4~4.5k all in and you still have the lesser axles.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I'm trying to find the most cost effective and also the most convenient way to upgrade my sport s. I bought my jeep without knowing just how much I would enjoy trail riding and rockcrawling and now I regret not holding out for a Rubicon.

Alas, I'm kind of attached to my jeep now as I've added a number of cosmetic and functional upgrades. 2.5 RE lift, wheels, 35 inch tires. Talking to a local shop I've been told that going to 37s and adding lockers to my existing axles would be fine if I was not reckless with the skinny pedal but browsing these forums tells a different tell.

What would you do in my situation (trading in for a rubicon isn't an option unless it's a big cost savings)
Dont regret skipping the Rubicon. You can have just as much capability, possibly more, have alot of fun building it how you like and spend alot less money.

I’m in exactly the same situation as you and heres what I’m doing regarding the axles and 37’s.

Buying new Mopar rubicon front and rears with the lockers and having them wired to a 6 button voswitch. My local dealership is doing this for $6400 otd. Axles will be warrantied as well. I considered ultimate d44 axles but decided I wont be wheeling in areas that require that expense. Instead I will upgrade the shafts and do the FAD delete IF I manage to break the shafts. Mind you, I have wheeled the sport axles just fine so far.

So far I have done the Mopar lift, Fox steering stabilizer, teraflex track bars in front and rear, new wheels and 35” tires, sway bar quick disconnects, as well as some other upgrades like tire carrier, radio, speakers, headlights, soft top etc. right now Im at 58,000. The Rubicon I almost bought was 62,000. I still would have had to do the lift, the tires, and the wheels. That alone ran me 6,600. I saved 10,000 and the only thing I wont have when Im done is the electronic sway bar disconnect. Something I have heard isnt all its cracked up to be. I may or may not regear to 4.88 but Id have to do that in a Rubi anyways.

Anyways, I’m quite happy I did it this way.

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
But you missed the 4:1 transfer case...not a small factor in the whole equation.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
You can lock and re-gear a sport for about $3,000 total or $3,600 parts and labor if they cut you a deal since you're doing everything at once. Lower price is if you do a $400 Torq locker upfront instead of selectable. You just gotta shop around, it isn't that bad for moderate builds.

I would recommend this to anyone who has the rear dana44 and going with light 34s/35s setup and depending on how much they wanna beat their Jeep. If not dana44 on the rear, then maybe.

That's what I am doing with my 2 door. And going 34s. I already have the front locked and a rear dana44. In the unlikely scenario I grenade my front axle I'd buy a d44 short for the front and I didn't lose an expensive locker. Worth the minimal risk if any imo. Wheeling with the front locked and the rear LSD isn't too bad, but that limited slip is gonna wear out sooner or later. Anyone just doing occasional wheeling I'd recommend just keeping their rear LSD and saving some money. You might need to use your winch a few times, but if you are only going occasionally that should be fine.

If going 37s I would just buy better axles. Anyone going 37s and planning to push the limits of 37s should probably consider better than Rubicon axles.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
You can lock and re-gear a sport for about $3,000 total or $3,600 parts and labor if they cut you a deal since you're doing everything at once. Lower price is if you do a $400 Torq locker upfront instead of selectable. You just gotta shop around, it isn't that bad for moderate builds.

I would recommend this to anyone who has the rear dana44 and going with light 34s/35s setup and depending on how much they wanna beat their Jeep. If not dana44 on the rear, then maybe.

That's what I am doing with my 2 door. And going 34s. I already have the front locked and a rear dana44. In the unlikely scenario I grenade my front axle I'd buy a d44 short for the front and I didn't lose an expensive locker. Worth the minimal risk if any imo.

If going 37s I would just buy better axles. Anyone going 37s and planning to push the limits of 37s should probably consider better than Rubicon axles.
Heavy sigh... I was going to chime in but I realize the OP probably is going to do what he wants. That's been my experience thus far with this type of thread, and there are plenty on the forum. Swapping axles isn't something most people want to hear :)

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy sigh... I was going to chime in but I realize the OP probably is going to do what he wants. That's been my experience thus far with this type of thread, and there are plenty on the forum. Swapping axles isn't something most people want to hear :)
Yeah I do agree with you OP is gonna be better served swapping axles or just keeping it on a light 35 setup. In some cases, like in my case, swapping axles would cost me at least twice as much. So it isn't necessarily always black and white. 37s is pushing it too much for my own comfort, I know some people do it though.

At the end of the day we all have a budget and other life expenses that sometimes involve other hobbies right. We all just wanna wheel our jeeps at our own pace and budget. I don't judge people trying to keep upgrades under 5~8k or people throwing 20k at their Jeeps to build them right.

OP
OP

Lok

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Im here to learn, not have someone validate my wrong ideas. I’m looking at dynatrac or g2 complete axle kits but stuggling with configurations. Any help or other brands out there.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Budget cap of 5k CAD and my location's lack of take-off options were the constraints that led to not doing an axle swap. Getting a take-off axle in Canada is next to impossible and even if it happens the price quoted with labor are astronomical - around 10K CAD just for axle swap incl labor.

Hence I decided to stick to light 35 setup keeping per wheel+tire under 90lb and went ahead regearing to 4.56 and Air lockers on both axles. I don't have regrets and likely won't touch the step unless something breaks catastrophically on the front axle.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Sport here on lightweight 37s. i have lightweight wheels and Patagonias which are light.

M220 rear end with LSD, Torq locker front end.

so far so good. i dont bash on it but i do have fun with it. if/when something breaks ill deal with it then but so far its been a blast with no issues.

also regeared to 4.88s. i wouldnt suggest offroading on 37s without 4.88s (for non-rubi). it was hard enough some times on 35s trying to climb over some stuff. now, its easy. jeep just rolls over stuff now! in the beginning i was gong to get some Rubi take offs but then had planned to upgrade to Rubi. in a holding pattern for a while now so im just enjoying the jeep i have and its yet to let me down.

i can tell you from experience of wheeling my sport on 33s, 35s, and 37s...
37s are far more fun and capable.
Sponsored