Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Im here to learn, not have someone validate my wrong ideas. I’m looking at dynatrac or g2 complete axle kits but stuggling with configurations. Any help or other brands out there.
OK, I'll share :) LOL. I was in your shoes EXACTLY. Bought a Sahara and immediately realized we loved to crawl over rocks and realized we should have bought a Rubi. Don't get me wrong, Saharas and Sprots are EXTREMELY capable rigs but if you are making the jump to 37s and you know you love to play on the rocks you are going to wind up with broken axles. Heck my previous Rubi had twisted splines on stock shafts with 37s from being wheeled hard.
IMO you really should invest in some Rubi take off axles, then upgrade the tie rod, drag link and track bar then add the 37s. That's the bare minimum for serious rock crawling IMO and personal experience with our Sahara. We wheeled the snot out of that Jeep with that setup and then sold it and the guy who bought it is still wheeling it hard.
Then as you get more into it and get a little more money you can add RCVs up front and Cromoly shafts in the rear. Our current Rubi is set up that way plus it is trussed and gusseted on the front axle and we are running 38x13.5x17 Nitto Trail grapplers on beadlocks and that's about the heaviest I'd go on Dana44s IMO. Could I run 40's... sure. Even with my setup would I be pushing the limits... YES.
As @entropy noted we all have budgets and personal preferences and in know way do I judge if you go a different route. Just sharing my personal experience and we are on our 3rd JL in 4 years.
Side Note: about 3 years ago I actually called Dana/Spycer and talked to them about the limits and recommendations on the Sport/Sahara axles and they said in stock configuration max 35s and LIGHT off roading. I know I know plenty of people doing it bigger, personally I don't want to be the guy on a trail with a busted shaft because I cut corners on the build.
If you already have the bug to crawl over rocks it isn't going to go away :)
Sponsored