Sponsored

2019 JLU Sahara depreciated 42% in 10 months

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I think the abundance of used JLs is a shake-out from people that shouldn't have bought them in the first place. That " image " craving wanna be cool, I'll buy a Jeep, " who then discovered, still mouth- breathers, clueless, but hey, opening for Trolls still open....
Yea, I do think we're seeing a lot of "image/lifestyle" people selling them early because it wasn't the luxury or even typical SUV experience they actually wanted. That's probably not helping the overproduction problem.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Tell that to the guys who bought Ford GT’s 10 years or so ago. :) Damn.....
I personally feel the the current Ford GT is the best looking car of our era. It's flat out HOT! As far as cars and investments, there are a few exceptions to the rule but not many. The movie Ford V. Ferrari will probably give GT's another bump. Great movie!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I think the abundance of used JLs is a shake-out from people that shouldn't have bought them in the first place. That " image " craving wanna be cool, I'll buy a Jeep, " who then discovered, still mouth- breathers, clueless, but hey, opening for Trolls still open....
Maybe? Some buyers of traditional SUVs and cars with rack-in-pinion steering might not have been ready for the Wrangler steering box. Another theory is real or perceived quality control issues. It does not help that a lot of FCA dealers are unqualified. Many Wrangler searches about problems on Google direct back to this forum about steering issues, early frame and weld issues, buy-backs, etc. Some new Wrangler owners can't get used to the looser steering. In extreme cases, I can see soccer moms thinking the steering is not safe for their family and dumping.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I’m not sure what people expect. I think in general Wrangler resale will continue to be high.

The issues will be on the higher cost trims with a lot of options. That’s always been the case. Nobody wants to pay over $40,000 for someone’s used vehicle. That’s just the way it is.

Sponsored

maxmk8

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Pooper
10 pages and not one person mentioned tax into the “depreciation” calc. 50k “msrp” wrangler will have another 5k of taxes and fees tacked on to it.
Obviously this varies based on whether you bought or leased it and when you sell it as this moves the amount you paid in taxes.

I am also surprised in the OPs “surprise” on the depreciation side, it’s a tale as old as time that options don’t add anything( far less than the actual depreciation %) to the resale.

we have $8500 sitting on the hood of “new” 2019s right now, a mouth breather will compare a 25k base sport to a used Sahara being sold at 36k+ And the “payment” game doesn’t fit in with the child support and divorce settlements

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Never gonna sell this Jeep or trade it in. Never bought it with that in mind.

maxmk8

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Pooper
I’m not sure what people expect. I think in general Wrangler resale will continue to be high.

The issues will be on the higher cost trims with a lot of options. That’s always been the case. Nobody wants to pay over $40,000 for someone’s used vehicle. That’s just the way it is.
It is insane that most JKs are well over 25k out here I can usually get far better deal on a new wrangler vs what carmax is offering. I am not sure who the shopper is that buys these but they are obviously out there

Sponsored

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
There are too many variables to say what is the best for each person. From a financial perspective you have to look at your money as a whole to determine what makes the most sense. There’s a sweet spot where you can maximize your “investments” while minimizing your losses and keeping your peace of mind. Looking at it in isolation is a mistake. I over analyze everything everyday, but I know what my risks are from the beginning.

I think that same logic applies to a smaller scale purchase, including a car too. You should analyze total purchase price, including fees and taxes, along with such things like insurance, gas, and maintenance. Edmunds calls this the true cost to own that vehicle. Usually the cost of those last three could be better spent on a nicer vehicle with higher resale. This would be the same for new or used. FYI, used almost always comes out ahead because of the initial depreciation. No surprise there and noted many times in this thread alone.

I would also recommend looking at KBB to know what the assumed value of your NEW vehicle would be after 6 months of driving it. This was harder to do with the JL because it was new but it still provides a value. I compared this to each trim and in many scenarios, the Sahara had the greatest amount of depreciation compared to the other trim levels. For me the same options on a Sahara as my Moab was worth $2,000 less 6-months later. This is my short term risk if something bad were to happen and so it was only Rubicon or Moab for me here, but it’s a loss no matter how you spin it at this point.

From there, I also do this same analysis at 5-years (60k miles) and 100,000 miles (9-10 years +/-). Without getting into the weeds too much, I can tell you the value of any Jeep levels out over time. What might be $2,000 at 6-months may only be $500 in 10 years. But what is most important is if you were to look at any Jeep that’s 10 years old, it’s resale value (percentage-wise) will be higher than many many other vehicles. A $45,000 Nissan Murano, may only be worth $7,000 ten years from now; whereas a $45,000 Wrangler could easily be worth $15,000 plus. Can’t imagine what you would have with a Mercedes or BMW.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
you’ll be buried in it eh? Impressive dedication to a single vehicle.
??? I have more than one vehicle. I also have the luxury of a new work vehicle every two years that I can drive anywhere I want, even when not at work.

I like this Jeep. Even with it's quirks. So yeah...I'm all in on this one multi-purpose 4x4 suv. Family loves it, I love it.

Only thing I'd like now is a 2door.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
There are too many variables to say what is the best for each person. From a financial perspective you have to look at your money as a whole to determine what makes the most sense. There’s a sweet spot where you can maximize your “investments” while minimizing your losses and keeping your peace of mind. Looking at it in isolation is a mistake. I over analyze everything everyday, but I know what my risks are from the beginning.

I think that same logic applies to a smaller scale purchase, including a car too. You should analyze total purchase price, including fees and taxes, along with such things like insurance, gas, and maintenance. Edmunds calls this the true cost to own that vehicle. Usually the cost of those last three could be better spent on a nicer vehicle with higher resale. This would be the same for new or used. FYI, used almost always comes out ahead because of the initial depreciation. No surprise there and noted many times in this thread alone.

I would also recommend looking at KBB to know what the assumed value of your NEW vehicle would be after 6 months of driving it. This was harder to do with the JL because it was new but it still provides a value. I compared this to each trim and in many scenarios, the Sahara had the greatest amount of depreciation compared to the other trim levels. For me the same options on a Sahara as my Moab was worth $2,000 less 6-months later. This is my short term risk if something bad were to happen and so it was only Rubicon or Moab for me here, but it’s a loss no matter how you spin it at this point.

From there, I also do this same analysis at 5-years (60k miles) and 100,000 miles (9-10 years +/-). Without getting into the weeds too much, I can tell you the value of any Jeep levels out over time. What might be $2,000 at 6-months may only be $500 in 10 years. But what is most important is if you were to look at any Jeep that’s 10 years old, it’s resale value (percentage-wise) will be higher than many many other vehicles. A $45,000 Nissan Murano, may only be worth $7,000 ten years from now; whereas a $45,000 Wrangler could easily be worth $15,000 plus. Can’t imagine what you would have with a Mercedes or BMW.
Or just buy what you want.