2019 JLU Sahara depreciated 42% in 10 months

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
why it is so important for some people to cite their reasons not to buy one over and over on car forums to anonymous (mostly) owners as if the are trying to convince them of the error they made buying one
Me attempting to convince those who already own a JL of anything? What a stupid misinterpretation resulting from reading comprehension failure! I tried to buy one; loved the JL's drive-ability and modernness. I tried to order a build to meet my requirements, but FCA to my frustration and to the frustration of a motivated dealership persisted in changing the terms of the base list to meet FCA's ever changing requirements; while other dealers expected me to buy a $57,000 featured on-the-lot 2 door when I merely wanted to test drive and order a base Rubi and hardtop for $36-37k as advertised and considered with tread lightly and dealer incentivized 7% off invoice.

It became increasingly apparent to me that FCA's on line sales tactic is: waving an affordable, outdated on line build cape to reveal a surprise behind it, presuming those such as me to want one so desperately that I would cave to more profitable build terms for FCA. So, through FCA's inflexibility regarding build policy and my persistence, giving me enough time to discover issues (only for my case) to avoid buyer's remorse, building something I really don't need nor want. Any remorse or rejoice for present owners is none of my concern. For potential buyers, however, shouldn't they have access to all perspectives and issues, then make their own decisions based upon maximum information? Is there something hiding here causing supposedly happy owners to begin to itch? I hope not, nor if so, do I truly give a damn. Apparently, Viper you are itching, otherwise you would have not found it important enough to comment on my post in the way you did. To all the JL owners Viper is speaking for in this forum, whose feelings I may have unintentionally hurt, believing I set out to step on their toes regarding a JL purchase, you are permitted to return to your safe spaces. For all the others, I sincerely wish a fulfilling trouble free relationship with your purchases and expect your ownership experience to go beyond faux tarmac status to deliver what older Jeep owners know as a true Jeep Adventure as I've known it. See: , notice the JL driver having no concerns regarding his adventure using the JL as purposed. My favorite Jeep in this video is the postal unit.

I'm only hoping my comments in the face of unlikelihood would influence FCA to become more buyer friendly than it is; as buyer friendly as AMC was for me in '87. Most prospective buyers in this forum will understandably lack that kind of favorable experience to draw from to make a comparison knowing how a factory ordered Jeep purchase should be. In spending all this time researching to replace my faithful XJ, (now some thief's) I'm pleased to have made a deal for a nicely conserved and appropriately equipped (for me) '05 Rubi to continue and grow my Jeeping adventures well beyond the XJ's limitations. I've always wanted one and am now able to spend the savings difference on upgraded lodging, food, and even more remote access, all without compromising the anticipated adventures themselves. The information and views from this forum have been valuable, revealing, and most importantly, entertaining for me. Thanks and cheers to all of you. I'm not anticipating further need to comment regarding the attractions and shortcomings of JLs. I'll remain mute except when a commenter misinterprets, chooses to attack or distort the meaning of my intent/content for sake of relieving his own conscience. Then, if I deem it important enough, I'll respond for mutual clarification. Otherwise, I'll hopefully be seeing some of you on the trails.
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Me attempting to convince those who already own a JL of anything? What a stupid misinterpretation resulting from reading comprehension failure! I tried to buy one; loved the JL's drive-ability and modernness. I tried to order a build to meet my requirements, but FCA to my frustration and to the frustration of a motivated dealership persisted in changing the terms of the base list to meet FCA's ever changing requirements; while other dealers expected me to buy a $57,000 featured on-the-lot 2 door when I merely wanted to test drive and order a base Rubi and hardtop for $36-37k as advertised and considered with tread lightly and dealer incentivized 7% off invoice.

It became increasingly apparent to me that FCA's on line sales tactic is: waving an affordable, outdated on line build cape to reveal a surprise behind it, presuming those such as me to want one so desperately that I would cave to more profitable build terms for FCA. So, through FCA's inflexibility regarding build policy and my persistence, giving me enough time to discover issues (only for my case) to avoid buyer's remorse, building something I really don't need nor want. Any remorse or rejoice for present owners is none of my concern. For potential buyers, however, shouldn't they have access to all perspectives and issues, then make their own decisions based upon maximum information? Is there something hiding here causing supposedly happy owners to begin to itch? I hope not, nor if so, do I truly give a damn. Apparently, Viper you are itching, otherwise you would have not found it important enough to comment on my post in the way you did. To all the JL owners Viper is speaking for in this forum, whose feelings I may have unintentionally hurt, believing I set out to step on their toes regarding a JL purchase, you are permitted to return to your safe spaces. For all the others, I sincerely wish a fulfilling trouble free relationship with your purchases and expect your ownership experience to go beyond faux tarmac status to deliver what older Jeep owners know as a true Jeep Adventure as I've known it. See: , notice the JL driver having no concerns regarding his adventure using the JL as purposed. My favorite Jeep in this video is the postal unit.

I'm only hoping my comments in the face of unlikelihood would influence FCA to become more buyer friendly than it is; as buyer friendly as AMC was for me in '87. Most prospective buyers in this forum will understandably lack that kind of favorable experience to draw from to make a comparison knowing how a factory ordered Jeep purchase should be. In spending all this time researching to replace my faithful XJ, (now some thief's) I'm pleased to have made a deal for a nicely conserved and appropriately equipped (for me) '05 Rubi to continue and grow my Jeeping adventures well beyond the XJ's limitations. I've always wanted one and am now able to spend the savings difference on upgraded lodging, food, and even more remote access, all without compromising the anticipated adventures themselves. The information and views from this forum have been valuable, revealing, and most importantly, entertaining for me. Thanks and cheers to all of you. I'm not anticipating further need to comment regarding the attractions and shortcomings of JLs. I'll remain mute except when a commenter misinterprets, chooses to attack or distort the meaning of my intent/content for sake of relieving his own conscience. Then, if I deem it important enough, I'll respond for mutual clarification. Otherwise, I'll hopefully be seeing some of you on the trails.
Happy trails! Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

JeepJLBase

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Definitely sound like a new JL is NOT the vehicle for you as you have pointed out repeatedly. Most of us are owners so probably not going to change our minds about ownership. Never understood why it is so important for some people to cite their reasons not to buy one over and over on car forums to anonymous (mostly) owners as if the are trying to convince them of the error they made buying one. They make what.....32K Wranglers a MONTH? Yep....gonna find some strange weird issues pop up with that kind of production numbers. If you look hard enough and want to find them you can. Meanwhile an overwhelming majority of us are enjoying them with zero or minor issues.
It’s to provide people with what they experienced while testing and/or owning a vehicle. When I research a product I use what people say as a set of data to use to evaluate. Not everyone cares be sensitive about how their vehicle drives. I know everything about how my vehicle feels and am sensitive to it’s changes. Despite your claim, not all vehicles have poor quality control. Many do, production numbers should not be an excuse for poor build quality. Hiring unskilled, no benefit receiving, cheap labor is usually the cause. The US is good at making proclamations about itself, but the reality is that most are lazy and live paycheck to paycheck.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Me attempting to convince those who already own a JL of anything? What a stupid misinterpretation resulting from reading comprehension failure! .
No one who ends up with an old used 14 year old wrangler was ever seriously looking at buying an new JL. Good luck with it out on the distant trails. Nothing says reliable like someones old modded beater with 1998 tech.

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I am new here, trying to understand why my 2019 fully loaded Sahara that had an MSRP of $56k is now only getting appraised for $30-36k. This vehicle has only 11k miles, flawless condition, practically every option, including ADC, Sky one touch, leather, etc.

I got a purchase offer from Carmax for $36k, purchase offers from many online sites $32-34k, trade in to several local dealers in South Florida for $30k. I can't even trade it in because the lease buyout is so high, I am buried in too much negative equity.

I thought Wranglers hold their value. Any idea what's going on here?

This is not ONLY true when you are shopping around to buy a Wrangler. However, when you are trying to sell or trade it in then it's like most other vehicles. There's no magic.

I paid about $50K for a Rubicon JLUR with all the options just 11 months ago. I have under 2000 miles on this Jeep and it looks as if it was just driven off the showroom. The MSRP for this Jeep was little over $56,840.

I went to see what I would get as a trade-in toward a 2020 Rubicon with diesel engine (factory order). I was only offered $39,500 for my Jeep.
So, another proof that it's just a sales gimmick when they try to sell you one.

Wrangler is not any different than other vehicles when your try to trade or sell it. The dealers want to make more money.

Sponsored

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is not ONLY true when you are shopping around to buy a Wrangler. However, when you are trying to sell or trade it in then it's like most other vehicles. There's no magic.

I paid about $50K for a Rubicon JLUR with all the options just 11 months ago. I have under 2000 miles on this Jeep and it looks as if it was just driven off the showroom. The MSRP for this Jeep was little over $56,840.

I went to see what I would get as a trade-in toward a 2020 Rubicon with diesel engine (factory order). I was only offered $39,500 for my Jeep.
So, another proof that it's just a sales gimmick when they try to sell you one.

Wrangler is not any different than other vehicles when your try to trade or sell it. The dealers want to make more money.

My .02

I have been working as a Jeep salesman for the past 4 years, and from experience I can say that Wrangler’s hold their value better than most of the vehicles that are out there. One of the best things to look out for regarding depreciation is if the manufacture puts rebates on the vehicles, which Jeep has not done for the past few years (until recently on last year models).

That being said I actually bought my first wrangler at the beginning of this year, a JLU Rubicon. I decided on a Rubicon because there were tons of Pre Owned Sport and Sahara JLU’s on the marketplace but I could only find 2 Rubicons. Then I looked at the KBB and NADA book values of a 2018 JL to determine what value the options add and if it was worth it to me. This is where I realized there isn’t an option for a painted hard top or flares (which I was debating but this made the decision easy).

Rubicons can MSRP for 48-57k depending on options, that is a big swing which is a key consideration when it comes to trading in. And when it comes to trading in a vehicle, dealers usually look at the market. This means they look at what they are currently selling for, as well as what a similar TRIM level goes for at auction, but auction prices do not give options to select like book values do. Contrary to popular belief, you will be hard pressed to find a dealer that puts more than what they go for at auction, usually when they do this they are simply moving numbers around on their side and showing more for the trade in.

As to the first post, it sounds like the OP was in a lease which means he shouldn’t be all that concerned with the depreciation as he simply has to make his payments and complete the lease, which is one of the many benefits of the lease. If he simply hates the vehicle and wants to trade out of it then that is the downside of a lease. You have more protection because you know the terms, but it is harder to get out of.

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My .02

I have been working as a Jeep salesman for the past 4 years, and from experience I can say that Wrangler’s hold their value better than most of the vehicles that are out there. One of the best things to look out for regarding depreciation is if the manufacture puts rebates on the vehicles, which Jeep has not done for the past few years (until recently on last year models).

That being said I actually bought my first wrangler at the beginning of this year, a JLU Rubicon. I decided on a Rubicon because there were tons of Pre Owned Sport and Sahara JLU’s on the marketplace but I could only find 2 Rubicons. Then I looked at the KBB and NADA book values of a 2018 JL to determine what value the options add and if it was worth it to me. This is where I realized there isn’t an option for a painted hard top or flares (which I was debating but this made the decision easy).

Rubicons can MSRP for 48-57k depending on options, that is a big swing which is a key consideration when it comes to trading in. And when it comes to trading in a vehicle, dealers usually look at the market. This means they look at what they are currently selling for, as well as what a similar TRIM level goes for at auction, but auction prices do not give options to select like book values do. Contrary to popular belief, you will be hard pressed to find a dealer that puts more than what they go for at auction, usually when they do this they are simply moving numbers around on their side and showing more for the trade in.

As to the first post, it sounds like the OP was in a lease which means he shouldn’t be all that concerned with the depreciation as he simply has to make his payments and complete the lease, which is one of the many benefits of the lease. If he simply hates the vehicle and wants to trade out of it then that is the downside of a lease. You have more protection because you know the terms, but it is harder to get out of.

So, based on your thoughts I take it that Wrangler ONLY keeps its value IF you buy the base model with no options, because the options don't really matter much when the dealer gives you a trade-in price. Also, the other factor as you mention is the current incentives running on the Jeep when you try to trade it in.
Based on these two key points you may or may not get a good trade-in value on your Jeep if you attempt to trade it in.
This is really not much different than any other popular car/truck out there. Same principles apply on most other cars/trucks.

Woodsrider

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport
I bought my used 2013 Wrangler Sport S for 20K. It had 20K miles on it. I drove it for 5 years and 65000 miles and got 14k on a trade in.for a Subaru Forester. That's the difference between buying new and buying used low milage. Dealers try to take trades on wholesale and sell for retail. I just got a 2019 Sport JL with 15k on for about 28k. I will make out great with that one also.
Sponsored