Sponsored

2019 JLU Rubicon

lotaguts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Hello All, I am plagued with the dreaded electrical issues that causes the dash freak out and ultimately the power steeering loss when this happens it intermittenly can be while driving and losing PS on the highway is not fun as those who have had this happen know. My Rig has been at the dealer for almost a week and I have no confidence whatsoever in my Dealer to solve this issue. I am told a star case has been opened. I mentioned the Harness for the sway bar disconnect and the other wires that others have mentioned on here but its like talking to the wall. Has anyone been able to have success with this and getting it fixed? Also does Jeep Cares help with these issues or is that a waste of time? TIA
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It's more than likely a battery issue. These Jeeps need strong batteries, not just good enough ones that would be fine on past vehicles.

Tell them to electrically segregate both batteries from the Jeeps circuits and individually load test them. Chances are that one is weak and pulling the other one down with it. The electrical freak out is due to voltage/amperage dropping below the minimal needs and causing multiple systems to brown out. If they find a weaker battery, insist that both are replaced because a strong battery loses longevity after being leaned on and you'll have a reoccurring issue when that stronger battery prematurely fails and starts leaning on the other. Again, both need to be replaced to avoid a dog chasing its tail type of situation.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Hello All, I am plagued with the dreaded electrical issues that causes the dash freak out and ultimately the power steeering loss when this happens it intermittenly can be while driving and losing PS on the highway is not fun as those who have had this happen know. My Rig has been at the dealer for almost a week and I have no confidence whatsoever in my Dealer to solve this issue. I am told a star case has been opened. I mentioned the Harness for the sway bar disconnect and the other wires that others have mentioned on here but its like talking to the wall. Has anyone been able to have success with this and getting it fixed? Also does Jeep Cares help with these issues or is that a waste of time? TIA
You have eTorque or ESS? How long have you owned it, when was the warranty punched? A Star Case just means they are working with Jeep engineers. Garbage in and garbage out though. Hopefully the tech is competent enough to diagnose and relay the data correctly. If not, eventually FCA might send a engineer. Hopefully it is something they have seen before and a simple fix. Good luck.

OP
OP

lotaguts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
It's more than likely a battery issue. These Jeeps need strong batteries, not just good enough ones that would be fine on past vehicles.

Tell them to electrically segregate both batteries from the Jeeps circuits and individually load test them. Chances are that one is weak and pulling the other one down with it. The electrical freak out is due to voltage/amperage dropping below the minimal needs and causing multiple systems to brown out. If they find a weaker battery, insist that both are replaced because a strong battery loses longevity after being leaned on and you'll have a reoccurring issue when that stronger battery prematurely fails and starts leaning on the other. Again, both need to be replaced to avoid a dog chasing its tail type of situation.
Thanks for the Feedback I wish that would be the case I have the 2.0 and I do not have the Aux battery like the 3.6 for that year. Man not to deal with incompetent idiots I would of replace both batteries myself if that was an option. Volt meter on my main battery and she puts out good voltage.

OP
OP

lotaguts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
You have eTorque or ESS? How long have you owned it, when was the warranty punched?
E-Torque, Drove off the lot with 3 miles she is my baby from inception. No issues till now 23K on the odo.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
E-Torque, Drove off the lot with 3 miles she is my baby from inception. No issues till now 23K on the odo.
Weird? My '19 JLR 2.0 eTorque was problem free until 22.5K miles also. About 25-26 months of ownership into it. Then a few warranty issues surfaced. Endless infotainment problems, bad hands-free microphone, other electrical issues like defective power mirrors, Proxmity door issues, bad rear shock, leaking rear glass seal. They had my vehicle for over a month just for the infotainment electrical issue alone. They were never able to fix it even after 3 radios, They did fix all of the electrical issues related to the Proximity doors and power mirror. There was a bad or loose connector and bad rear proxemity antenna. There was also a bad connection at the A-pillar for the hands-free microphone. Thinking back at it now? Most of he fixed problems were due to lazy workers not fully seating and locking in electrical connectors during assembly.

You still have plenty of warranty. They should figure it out.

OP
OP

lotaguts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Weird? My '19 JLR 2.0 eTorque was problem free until 22.5K miles also. About 25-26 months of ownership into it. Then a few warranty issues surfaced. Endless infotainment problems, bad hands-free microphone, other electrical issues like defective power mirrors, Proxmity door issues, bad rear shock, leaking rear glass seal. They had my vehicle for over a month just for the infotainment electrical issue alone. They were never able to fix it even after 3 radios, They did fix all of the electrical issues related to the Proximity doors and power mirror. There was a bad or loose connector and bad rear proxemity antenna. There was also a bad connection at the A-pillar for the hands-free microphone. Thinking back at it now? Most of he fixed problems were due to lazy workers not fully seating and locking in electrical connectors during assembly.

You still have plenty of warranty. They should figure it out.
Thx for sharing, so frustrating.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the Feedback I wish that would be the case I have the 2.0 and I do not have the Aux battery like the 3.6 for that year. Man not to deal with incompetent idiots I would of replace both batteries myself if that was an option. Volt meter on my main battery and she puts out good voltage.
It could very well still be the case. A weak main battery would cause the same issues. A voltage meter won't uncover a battery that is failing under load. If left connected with the jeep shutdown, and voltage noted, a rise in voltage after starting it would confirm an effective charging system. Beyond that, a specific battery load tester needs to be used, with the battery electrically disconnected from the Jeep. The chance of having multiple electrical system failures at once is in the same realm of possibility as winning a state lottery. Its either a lower voltage than these finicky JL's need, or a main chassis ground issue. Most dealers techs, and even those in the private sector, often make the mistake of using a multimeter that doesn't reflect voltage/amperage under load. It just simply shows static flow. They tend to move on down the line of the process of elimination until they inevitably give up because they never doubled back to the battery.

OP
OP

lotaguts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
It could very well still be the case. A weak main battery would cause the same issues. A voltage meter won't uncover a battery that is failing under load. If left connected with the jeep shutdown, and voltage noted, a rise in voltage after starting it would confirm an effective charging system. Beyond that, a specific battery load tester needs to be used, with the battery electrically disconnected from the Jeep. The chance of having multiple electrical system failures at once is in the same realm of possibility as winning a state lottery. Its either a lower voltage than these finicky JL's need, or a main chassis ground issue. Most dealers techs, and even those in the private sector, often make the mistake of using a multimeter that doesn't reflect voltage/amperage under load. It just simply shows static flow. They tend to move on down the line of the process of elimination until they inevitably give up because they never doubled back to the battery.
Thx for the feedback I can only wish that to be the case and I am hoping for a competent tech to troubleshoot the battery in the procoess.

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I have no confidence whatsoever in my Dealer to solve this issue.
Confidence in your service department is important. If you feel this way, take it to a service facility you trust.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
You could always remove the battery and take it to your local AutoZone and have them load test it. If it's bad go back to the dealership and let them know.

OP
OP

lotaguts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
You could always remove the battery and take it to your local AutoZone and have them load test it. If it's bad go back to the dealership and let them know.
Already done 1st thing I did actually, load test was good but I was told they sometimes their tests are not done properly. who knows! thx though.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Already done 1st thing I did actually, load test was good but I was told they sometimes their tests are not done properly. who knows! thx though.
You have to be careful load testing batteries. The new electronic testers are not super reliant. The old fashioned carbon pile ones give the truest tests.
Sponsored