Sponsored

2019 JLU Rubi died twice trying to climb a small rock?? Battery wasn’t charging??

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I was using the wrong terminology when speaking with the dealer the first time. It's isn't a "recall". Anyway, spoke with Jeep WAVES about it and they said there is an open "RRT" (# 20-041) which is a PCM update to the power train control module for the 2.0L eTorque. It came out July 10th and lists different charging and loss of power symptoms as things it addresses. I'm hoping it will resolve this problem but have no way to test in TX (nothing anywhere close to 10,000 ft around here). =/
Sponsored

Unkle Fester

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
First off, I’m glad I found this thread. It seems some 2.0 eTorque engines have this interesting little problem.
...It's isn't a "recall". Anyway, spoke with Jeep WAVES about it and they said there is an open "RRT" (# 20-041) which is a PCM update to the power train control module for the 2.0L eTorque. It came out July 10th and lists different charging and loss of power symptoms as things it addresses. I'm hoping it will resolve this problem but have no way to test in TX (nothing anywhere close to 10,000 ft around here). =/
I’ll be taking this information to the dealer. I had mine looked at Friday after having this same problem at over 10,000, in 4 low, uphill... Twice In a weekend. I thought it was just the ESS was not disengaging in 4 low in a stop and go trail situation being behind inexperienced and in prepared wheelers caused the secondary battery to be low. (Too many start and stops) Then noticed the low charge at 11.9 volts and thought it was the alternator. it happened again yesterday with the ESS off and no traffic.

PS, east Texas has some of the flattest land on earth. In Abilene, from the highway overpass you can see the curvature of the earth. although hill country is beautiful...

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First off, I’m glad I found this thread. It seems some 2.0 eTorque engines have this interesting little problem.

I’ll be taking this information to the dealer. I had mine looked at Friday after having this same problem at over 10,000, in 4 low, uphill... Twice In a weekend. I thought it was just the ESS was not disengaging in 4 low in a stop and go trail situation being behind inexperienced and in prepared wheelers caused the secondary battery to be low. (Too many start and stops) Then noticed the low charge at 11.9 volts and thought it was the alternator. it happened again yesterday with the ESS off and no traffic.

PS, east Texas has some of the flattest land on earth. In Abilene, from the highway overpass you can see the curvature of the earth. although hill country is beautiful...
Yeah if I hadn’t come across this thread I’d have either cancelled our trip or seriously changed the plan. Gave me a bit of comfort knowing it wasn’t unique to ours and there was a workaround. Really hoping to hear some confirmation that RTT resolves it.

Unkle Fester

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
@BDinTX - with Wranglers you are never alone.

I'm chatting with my service rep today now that I have this info. This has to be the oddest thing I’ve heard as a problem, so situation specific. I’ve had a number of Jeeps over the years and always gotten fantastic support from the service department wherever I’ve lived - except for the one where I voided my warranty... but that was the ‘90’s and I was young and dumb.

if they do something Today, I will head back out to a high pass tomorrow and give it a test. (There’s always an excuse to hit a high pass)

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BDinTX - with Wranglers you are never alone.

I'm chatting with my service rep today now that I have this info. This has to be the oddest thing I’ve heard as a problem, so situation specific. I’ve had a number of Jeeps over the years and always gotten fantastic support from the service department wherever I’ve lived - except for the one where I voided my warranty... but that was the ‘90’s and I was young and dumb.

if they do something Today, I will head back out to a high pass tomorrow and give it a test. (There’s always an excuse to hit a high pass)
Did you get a chance to retest? Was reading another thread where several are reporting the same problem.

Sponsored

Unkle Fester

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
Did you get a chance to retest? Was reading another thread where several are reporting the same problem.
I actually tested this yesterday, Mosquito Pass, over 13,000 feet. The update seemed to work. Crossed the pass twice with no further issues.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually tested this yesterday, Mosquito Pass, over 13,000 feet. The update seemed to work. Crossed the pass twice with no further issues.
Awesome, thank you!
Sponsored