First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
Had problems with your Fiat?
I DID!....

fiat 1.4T Jeep Renegade (same as ABARTH) lasted 64k miles ,,, in that time prior, transmission replaced @ 24k, Turbo @ 35k, engine + turbo replaced @ 64K, turbo leaked oil like a sieve at 64.5k - Carvana now owns it.

never ever again with a Fiat turbo (especially on a 4x4)
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I DID!....

fiat 1.4T Jeep Renegade (same as ABARTH) lasted 64k miles ,,, in that time prior, transmission replaced @ 24k, Turbo @ 35k, engine + turbo replaced @ 64K, turbo leaked oil like a sieve at 64.5k - Carvana now owns it.

never ever again with a Fiat turbo (especially on a 4x4)
What year was your Renegade?

The transmission in my brother’s 2015 Renegade croaked at 36,000 miles.

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
What year was your Renegade?

The transmission in my brother’s 2015 Renegade croaked at 36,000 miles.
2016 - absolute garbage - even my new dealer told me they privately and candidly would never ever recommend the FIAT engines to friends or family based on what they see come back.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
My 2013 VW Tiguan had the 2.0 TSI (Audi engine) that had well known timing chain tensioner issues. VW supposedly solved the problem in 2012, but mine had the old tensioner and was replaced under warranty at 57K miles.

I know it's a different engine, and what I'm going to mention next is anecdotal, so do with it what you want, but it was speculated that engines that had long intervals between oil changes (10K+) had problems with sludge buildup and after awhile the tensioner would loosen up to a point where the chain would jump causing major problems. VW recommended changing the oil every 10K miles (I bought mine with 49K miles). People than changed their oil every 7,500 miles had much less problems.

The price difference in changing oil every 7500 instead of 10K miles is about $350 over 100k miles.

Even though this is a different engine from a different manufacturer, it is European, so I'm not taking any chances. Japanese and American engines are far more forgiving, but European engines can last awhile if taken care of. I traded in the Tiguan with 162K miles and it was still driving strong.

Graydd

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have a step by step video for the 2.0L Turbo chain guide and tensioner replacement? Even the ole still shot pics would be helpful.

Thinking of doing one myself but would like to watch a video on it first, like I always do before cracking an engine open.

LOL Gotta love you tube

Sponsored

aredd627

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 2.0
Our 2019 JLU with the 2.0 engine developed a 'mechanical' clicking noise from the engine area; Dealership said it was 'probably a fuel injector issue.' Further investigation led them to state "Timing Chain Failure." When this occurred, in mid-June 2021, they estimated "two to three weeks for parts" identified as the Timing Chain, associated Pullies, and Tensioner. Three weeks later they stated "all parts on-hand, with the exception of one of the [two] Timing Chain Tensioners." This part, they indicated, had an "estimated first delivery availability of Mid-September." Several other dealerships confirmed that one part availability, with several stating "appears to have had a very high demand." All Dealerships stated "no Technical Bulletin or Notice regarding the 2.0 Engine." Anyone else out there having these kinds of difficulties with the 2.0? Jeep parts availability? Seems if there is a higher than expected demand for this part, there MAY have been an issue across the board. ??

I have been racking my brain recently about the same problem.
  1. I drive a 2021 Wrangler Sport 2.0.
  2. 33,500 miles on it
  3. Over the past 6 months, I started hearing a knocking when I accelerate.
    1. Primarily hear it in the mornings when the engine was cold. It wasn't as noticeable once I got the engine warmed up but I could still hear it. I searched the web and some people said it was the aftermarket oil filters so I decided to take the jeep back where I purchased it so they could perform the oil change. That appeared to have solved it for about a week
    2. Decided to take it in to Landmark Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep in Atlanta on Thursday 11/30/23.
    3. They called me on 12/4 and they told me they believe it is a bad timing chain. Was not too worried because this is covered under powertrain.
    4. They called me the following morning to inform me my jeep is ready for pickup. They informed me the master tech evaluated it and said everything was within spec.
      1. When I asked about if they determined where the knocking noise was coming from, the sales manager just said the timing chain is within manufacture specs. That was his answer for everything.
      2. When I arrived the next morning and spoke directly with the master tech, I asked about the knocking noise and he said that was normal for the 2.0 Turbo and that it was the injectors. I quote "its supposed to sound like a diesel engine."
    5. I worked in basic automotive repair earlier in my life for about 10 years and this does not pass the sniff test, IMO. But I do not know enough about engines, all I know is this does not sound "normal"
    6. I am taking my Jeep back to the dealer I purchased it from because they are fixing the rear defroster under the 36k bumper to bumper warranty. I think I am going to have them look at it as well.
  4. I would love to get other peoples thoughts on this. Are my concerns warrantless?

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Every vehicle I've ever owned has always been a high monthly miler. I kind of wonder if a lot of these part failures on vehicles in general, let alone Wranglers maybe has more to do with people not driving them much.

Maybe I've just been lucky to never have purchase a vehicle that had early part failures. I don't know. 🤷‍♂️ That's strange.

Maybe it's luck and or odds-based?

My 2021 EcoDiesel is Fiat engine and I have 32,500 miles on it right now I've had zero issues with it.