2019 JL unlimited Towing a Camper question

Goingforit

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sahara unlimited 4door
So my JL is a 2019 Unlimited sahara 4door hard top, we just purchased a 2021 Keystone crossfire bullet 1900rd 22ft travel trailer its dry weight is 3477lbs and tounge weight 490lbs single axle I have added a class 3 curt hitch and 7 pin with break controller, air helper 1000 bags for rear springs with onboard compressor and lastly a curt 17500 tru track WD hitch for a grand total of about $1700 bucks to hopefully ensure I can pull this camper safely. I would like to know your opinions on this and if you think I did the right thing and if there is anything else I should look at buying to beef up the jeep for towing?
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 JL unlimited Towing a Camper question ff7cc645-72bc-4adb-9ffa-fc3e7aa6a31f_Bullet_Crossfire_exterior_1920x1280
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 JL unlimited Towing a Camper question IMG_20210107_094049_780
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 JL unlimited Towing a Camper question Screenshot_20210505-080235_Chrome
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 JL unlimited Towing a Camper question IMG_20210107_094049_782
Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Just know your trailer will be significantly over the Jeep’s Factory rated maximum tow rating. When you add water, propane, clothes, dishes, groceries etc. I’m guessing at least 4200 lbs or so. I’d definitely get the rig weighed when fully loaded so I’d know for sure where I was at. Will your rig pull it? Sure. The question is whether you should. In event of an accident your insurance company (or the other guys) may take umbrage with you being 20% or so over the max factory tow weight. I suspect it’ll tow ok, though short wheelbase vehicles do sometimes have issues with the tail wagging the dog. It’s your call. I wouldn’t do it, but lots of folks do. Good luck, drive safe and start out nice and easy.

OP
OP
Goingforit

Goingforit

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply its a done deal now it'll be delivered this weekend I'm going to put the air bags in this weekend. I understand the weight will increase with stuff we put in it but ill probably never Carry water in it im just a weekend camper I'm figuring it'll be closer to 3,600 3,700 I mean I can't picture 200lbs of food clothes for a weekend lol but in reality I plan on doing a follow up on my experience as I am intrigued and want to know exactly what an acceptable towing weight is because I personally feel jeep is under rating it I've read a million comments about UK vs USA ratings and I'm yet to see anyone else do it or try it and tell us about it. So we shall see

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
With full LP you’ll easily be over 600 lbs tongue weight. Beyond the obvious it also looks like double the JL’s 30 sq-ft frontal area limit

D8F0905C-93B5-44A7-971A-114B219C1325.png

mini_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
there are a lot of factors here to "tow is safely". as others have pointed out, you will be exceeding the tow capacity.

you should also look into adding electronic brakes to your trailer if possible to reduce the strain on the tongue/hitch during braking (as well as your braking system obviously).

also if you look at how the hitches are mounted, it's another factor as to why the tow capacity is on the lower spectrum, it just sandwiches the rear crashbar/crossmember. other vehicles typically have a hitch that have beefier mounts to the frame.

you can also get fined for exceeding your gross rating on your vehicle's information sticker (at least in my area) if a cop is keen or notices.

lastly I'm sure it doesn't need to be pointed out, but don't mention any of this to your dealer since this effectively voids your powertrain warranty.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Also make sure you set the air bag psi first, then setup/adjust your WDH.

I’d also hit a CAT scale, with that much tongue weight you will need to worry about exceeding the rear GAWR

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I've posted this before, but the same JL has a higher tow capacity overseas. Why, I don't know. So you should be ok.
That said, I would have picked a smaller camper or found a different vehicle to pull it.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
The receiver hitch on your Jeep is a Class II not a Class III. Class II hitches are not designed for a WDH. Have a good RV hitch shop or experienced welding shop take a look and evaluate the hith for you. Usually a plate is added from the hitch cross bar along the frame to allow the torsion needed to distribute the weight to the front axle. Used as is with a WDH, you risk the risk of bending the hitch crossbar.

OP
OP
Goingforit

Goingforit

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With full LP you’ll easily be over 600 lbs tongue weight. Beyond the obvious it also looks like double the JL’s 30 sq-ft frontal area limit

Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 JL unlimited Towing a Camper question D8F0905C-93B5-44A7-971A-114B219C1325
How would it be over 600lbs tounge weight?

OP
OP
Goingforit

Goingforit

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The receiver hitch on your Jeep is a Class II not a Class III. Class II hitches are not designed for a WDH. Have a good RV hitch shop or experienced welding shop take a look and evaluate the hith for you. Usually a plate is added from the hitch cross bar along the frame to allow the torsion needed to distribute the weight to the front axle. Used as is with a WDH, you risk the risk of bending the hitch crossbar.
Thanks for the info I wondered about that cause the wd hitch is heavy!!

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
How would it be over 600lbs tounge weight?
490 lbs is the TW @ the base weight of 3,477 lbs

If your camper has any added options your base weight /TW will be higher to start with. Your actual dry weight will be on a sticker in the entrance door jam.

LP gas is not included in the manufacturer spec, sometimes neither is the battery since they are “dealer installed”. Full LP tank is 37 lbs, looks like you have 2 tanks

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I just hope nobody "sees" the hard way. Be safe out there everyone.

G.

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

Keep in mind when the trailer does start swaying (and it will) don’t use the Jeep’s brakes, only the trailer brake to stop the sway. Also, don’t over tighten the WD bars, you want enough tongue weight for the trailer to tow properly. You can almost lift the rear wheels of the Jeep off the ground with the WD bars if you try. It’s ok to have some sag once the WD bars are set.

With your setup I would definitely stay at 55mph and keep lots of room between you and the next vehicle and try to anticipate the air coming off of big rigs as they pass you or vice versa.

Not to beat a dead horse but I’m surprised your dealer sold you the trailer knowing your tow vehicle or make you sign a waiver acknowledging the lack of tow capacity. I’m in the RV industry and the dealers I’ve worked with over the years wouldn’t let you hook up the rig on their lot but would deliver it to your house if you insisted on the purchase and sign a waiver.

I would also look at the You Tube towing videos for the Gladiator….towing a similar trailer the reviews were average at best for the towing experience.

Stay safe and happy camping.
Sponsored