2019 JL Suddenly Shuts Off

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
Pulling out of a parking lot, engine suddenly shut down. All doors were shut properly, seatbelt on. I put in 'park' tried to restart, no luck. After a couple minutes, dash started going crazy, wipers came on. Acted possessed! Could not shift transfer case or transmission. Had to be towed, using those plastic skidders on back wheels to get it on flatbed. 8 speed auto, Sahara, bla bla. Haven't heard from dealer yet. I searched the forums, no specific similar incidents-though some threads involving ESS and Autopark mentioned the sudden shutdown. Any ideas?
Sponsored

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Same thing happened to me in my 2019 JLUR. Auxiliary battery failure and blown fuse array. Dealer fixed it. BTW there’s a small plastic cover in front of the shift level. Lift it up and there’s a yellow strap. Pull the strap up and toward you and it takes it out of park.

OP
OP
DCELL

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
The service advisor just called me. Sudden catostrophic failure of main battery which caused the auxiliary battery to fail as well as frying the fuse panel. Parts/labor $700+, not covered under warranty. 39K miles, we have lifetime warranty, from FCA-purchased from the selling dealer the day we got it. Servicing dealer is a different dealer. WTF. Any thoughts on that nonsense?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The service advisor just called me. Sudden catostrophic failure of main battery which caused the auxiliary battery to fail as well as frying the fuse panel. Parts/labor $700+, not covered under warranty. 39K miles, we have lifetime warranty, from FCA-purchased from the selling dealer the day we got it. Servicing dealer is a different dealer. WTF. Any thoughts on that nonsense?
@DCELL

If the dealer says that they will absolutely, not do under warranty, don't argue with them but say you need to make a quick call and will come back in and talk to them..

Now, call Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146.

Tell the Rep, that answers, politely and sincerely about the issue you are having.

Again, be polite and act like and say you are in hopes that in good faith FCA will do the right thing and repair your JL.

You might be pleasantly surprised when they say ok, and pay for the repair ... IF, if they say they cannot pay ask if they will, please, at least meet you half way, and pay 1/2 of the repair costs.

There is a good chance the rep will do something for you... Other's have been assisted in cases like yours.... Just be polite and ask that they please help you.

Remember, if you don't ask, you don't get.. DO, make the call.
The worst case is they say they cannot help you...

Even if you already paid the dealer, FCA will still reimburse you... It is best to call the rep before the dealer does the repair but this is not a must...

OP
OP
DCELL

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to call them. I already told the dealer to fix it. I figured I'd talk to someone about it...

Sponsored

OP
OP
DCELL

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
I called the number. They put me on hold and actually called the dealer and talked to them about the repair, etc. The person on the phone could not do something for me right now, but assigned it to a case manager who is supposed to get back with me in one to two business days... We'll see what happens. Hopefully the repair will be completed by tomorrow afternoon, I'll pay-hoping Jeep will work something out for me. Again, thanks for the suggestion.

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
My repair was covered by the dealer but I only had 16K miles on it. Good luck.

OP
OP
DCELL

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
My repair was covered by the dealer but I only had 16K miles on it. Good luck.
I asked the advisor about that, he said the bumper-bumper would have covered it up to 36K miles...

OP
OP
DCELL

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
It just seems like a weird thing. No way I'm the only one-except RFR JLR, this has happened to though...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DCELL

There have been probably close to a hundred other's that have posted on this forum, pretty much the same occurrence with their JL as you and your JL.. Not unusual at all, what you have had happen.

Once the stealership replaces both your Main and the Aux batteries and your High Amp Fuse Array in the Power Distribution Center, your JL will be up and running again....

IF you keep the JL another couple of years or more, expect this same thing to happen again...

Sponsored

OP
OP
DCELL

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
Amazes me that what is essentially a 2 1/2 year old battery going bad is going to cost me $700...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Amazes me that what is essentially a 2 1/2 year old battery going bad is going to cost me $700...
@DCELL

It is what it is...

Pretty easy to do yourself in the future lets say... and the cost to do it yourself would be about $300+-, for the 2 batteries... $5.00 for five JL/JT fender flare clips at $0.99 each. Should you also need a High Amp Fuse Array, add about $46.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Since your " Life Time " warranty from another dealer is a FCA warranty, what does it actually cover ?
These electrical issues are a known problem, hopefully you'll get this repaired under the Customer Good Will aspect, I'm saving that contact number ! But do check out that " Life Time " warranty you have

OP
OP
DCELL

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
Since your " Life Time " warranty from another dealer is a FCA warranty, what does it actually cover ?
These electrical issues are a known problem, hopefully you'll get this repaired under the Customer Good Will aspect, I'm saving that contact number ! But do check out that " Life Time " warranty you have
Batteries, and problems they cause are NOT covered. Warranty is pretty clear.

OP
OP
DCELL

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
@DCELL

Again, be polite and act like and say you are in hopes that in good faith FCA will do the right thing and repair your JL.

You might be pleasantly surprised when they say ok, and pay for the repair ... IF, if they say they cannot pay ask if they will, please, at least meet you half way, and pay 1/2 of the repair costs.
Great advice, I'm happy. I think the key was "be polite and don't have a meltdown on the phone". Glad I came back to this forum when I had the problem...
Sponsored