Sponsored

2019 JL Rubicon - Blinded in medium snow conditions - Help!

atxrickyricky

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Hello everyone!

I had the pleasure of picking up my 2019 Rubicon and driving home from Colorado Springs to Denver last night while 4 inches of snow fell in between the two cities.

I have LED lights on my model, and while the snow was coming down nice, I wouldn't consider it a whiteout or blizzard conditions at all.

I experience the worst snow blindness from reflected light off of the snow last night I had ever experience in my life. I quite literally had to slow down to 30 MPH, while little KIAs and Hondas were wizzing by me.

I never had issues with my JK in snowy conditions like that and was very surprised to have this issue with the Rubi.

I'm guessing I need to check the alignment of my headlights and lower them, but is there anything else I need to check into? Since this is the end of the snow season here, it seems like any changes I make won't be really "testable" until I'm stuck in a similar situation, which sucks.

Thanks for any help and advice.
Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Your headlights are fine. Unfortunately, the whiter the light (higher Kelvin on the color scale), the more it reflects off snow, rain, and fog. Your JK probably had halogen lights which were a more yellow color (lower number on Kelvin scale).

I'd suggest a few things:
1. Yellow tint over the fogs, cheapest and easiest route and still remaining legal
2. Replace factory fog LEDs with DOT approved fogs with yellow or amber lens
3. Add additional lights, yellow or amber to the bumper to help cut through the snow

OP
OP

atxrickyricky

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the info. While I DID have aftermarket HIDs on my Jeep, I never experienced a snowstorm while they were on.

Is this a known issue? I searched the forum here but didn't see anyone else even mention it. I can't be the first person to experience this!

Your headlights are fine. Unfortunately, the whiter the light (higher Kelvin on the color scale), the more it reflects off snow, rain, and fog. Your JK probably had halogen lights which were a more yellow color (lower number on Kelvin scale).

I'd suggest a few things:
1. Yellow tint over the fogs, cheapest and easiest route and still remaining legal
2. Replace factory fog LEDs with DOT approved fogs with yellow or amber lens
3. Add additional lights, yellow or amber to the bumper to help cut through the snow

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Thank you for the info. While I DID have aftermarket HIDs on my Jeep, I never experienced a snowstorm while they were on.

Is this a known issue? I searched the forum here but didn't see anyone else even mention it. I can't be the first person to experience this!
This is a pretty common compliant, there have been a few threads about the same issue. The LED headlights also don't produce enough heat to melt any snow or ice build up on the lens. I also have the LED headlights on my JLUR and while it may suck to drive in snowstorm and be blinded, you're more likely going to encounter more good weather days than bad.

OP
OP

atxrickyricky

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fortunately, or unfortunately, I live in Denver and plan on taking quite a few trips to the mountain in the snow! I have to take advantage of that Colorado life while I'm here =)

I'll plan for the bad weather days while enjoying the good ones, for sure... Thanks again for the help.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
You can technically turn the headlights off (if it just made the situation worse) and turn on only the fog lights if that helps out the situation better. Have the knob set at the 2nd position from the left.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar experience this past Saturday. Worst visibility I have ever experienced in a snow storm. I have aftermarket LED. I thoight maybe it was them, but then it was snowing huge flakes. I could not see anything. I tried my halogen fogs but they dis not make a difference. So is it true? LED headlights suck in snow storms?

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Yep, a few weeks ago we had some snow and I headed out about 5am while it was still dark. As I got up into the mountains, the snow was really falling and I could barely see anything. Fortunately, I know the road and could keep up the speed but it was truly blinding. I never experienced that with halogens or HIDs. In fair weather and rain, the LEDs are great, though.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Twice now my LED headlights and fog lights were covered by snow. I added Hella Halogen lights to the front bumper to at least add light to the road.

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I added KC Hilites (halogen) to Try and help if my LED headlights froze over.

Pruitts

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sahara JL
This is our first winter in a Jeep. I have aftermarket LED headlights and foglights. I have driven in 2 snow storms. The first was pretty cold, lots of snow, roads terrible and had a blast!!! No issue seeing the road. The second was warmer with large flakes and I had no visibility! My wife and I couldn't understand why we were having such a hard time seeing the road. We pulled over and found the headlights and foglights caked with snow. We cleaned them out. When they weren't caked, the reflection was bad. Before we got home we couldn't see again. It was the worst driving situation I had ever been in. All that said, outside of that storm, I absolutely love the LED's... but I hope not to be caught in that situation again...

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
Hello everyone!

I had the pleasure of picking up my 2019 Rubicon and driving home from Colorado Springs to Denver last night while 4 inches of snow fell in between the two cities.

I have LED lights on my model, and while the snow was coming down nice, I wouldn't consider it a whiteout or blizzard conditions at all.

I experience the worst snow blindness from reflected light off of the snow last night I had ever experience in my life. I quite literally had to slow down to 30 MPH, while little KIAs and Hondas were wizzing by me.

I never had issues with my JK in snowy conditions like that and was very surprised to have this issue with the Rubi.

I'm guessing I need to check the alignment of my headlights and lower them, but is there anything else I need to check into? Since this is the end of the snow season here, it seems like any changes I make won't be really "testable" until I'm stuck in a similar situation, which sucks.

Thanks for any help and advice.
Hi @atxrickyricky , you might want to get some Amber lights to help cut through the snow. White Light, especially White LEDs, reflect back from the snow. Amber light helps cut through that. I installed some Amber LED fogs and they work really well for rain, fog, snow dust, etc.

IS AN AMBER OR WHITE LIGHT BETTER?
In some conditions, and amber light will perform better but in other conditions a white light will perform better. This question really comes down to if you’re ever off-roading in the conditions where an amber light could prove beneficial. Generally speaking, an amber light will excel in dusty, foggy, rainy, or snowy conditions as they appear to cut through airborne particles much better than a more intense, white light does. However, a white light often appears much brighter even if they have the same power output.

Amber and white lights are different simply in their color temperature, which is how the perceived color of light is measured. Color temperature is most commonly measured in terms of degrees Kelvin (K). Lower values of around 2500-4000K appear more yellow/amber (warm) and higher values of 4000-7000K begin to appear white and even into the blue/violet range at the upper end (cool). Higher color temperatures have shorter wavelengths, which results in light bouncing off/reflecting off of particles in the air causing poorer visibility in dust, fog, rain, or snow.

For the most balanced lighting setup, a combination of amber lights and white lights is best — or at least having the option to turn your white light into an amber light with a clip-on transparent cover, etc.

kc_kelvin-chart_blog-jpg.jpg

https://www.kchilites.com/blog/2018/04/29/how-to-choose-off-road-lights/

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
So what's the easiest way to make the factory LED Fogs amber?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So what's the easiest way to make the factory LED Fogs amber?
Yellow tint on the lenses or replace the bulbs with amber LEDs.
Sponsored