Sponsored

2019 JL 3.6L V6 oil leak. Oil pan or rear main seal?

dabble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
batmobile
Would be just another thing for them to blame and then deny warranty against. It really sucks that Jeep dealers seem to do everything they possibly can to deny warranty. I've owned many makes over my lifetime and Jeep by far takes the cake for the absolute worst / horribly performing dealerships. I can't stand it. That alone will likely make this my first and last Jeep.
Had a similar experience with a sticking throttle on a '21 Honda Goldwing. The service manager acted like he worked for Honda. I spoke with the shop owner, showed him how the throttle sticks, and he walked back to service and told the manager to order and replace my throttle.

Dealers seem to forget where the money comes from to pay the bills.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
If it's not dripping onto your driveway, it's not a 'leak'.. that's called seal seepage and is normal with todays super low vis, syn oils.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Should our modern engines leak? Probably not. When we buy these vehicles, we're assuming a lot about the tolerances they're being built too. At some point a seal will fail and a leak will occur. Some get lucky and have seals that out last the engine service life, others don't make it 5k miles. It's annoying, but the way of things sometimes.
I agree, seals leak. My Honda Civic leaks oil and has for the last 100K. My wife's Odyssey leaks tranny fluid and has for the last 30K. Every few months I spray a little simple green on my driveway and hit it with a scrub brush and it goes away. The Civic leak is coming from the oil pan and the odyssey leak is coming from a CV joint. If I dig in to either of these, I'll do the seals. My Civic leaked from the front main seal and I replaced it after doing the timing belt.

These seals are super cheap and do their job well, a little seepage is better than old school metal seals that would dump oil everywhere. This isn't a Jeep thing, it's an every vehicle thing.

To the OP, would you rather deal with a little seepage or whatever they break pulling the thing apart to attempt to "fix" it. If I was getting a puddle of oil in my driveway with a Jeep under warranty, I'd have them fix it, no doubt.

djxizodu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door
I’d agree with you that it is leaking oil

however I would really advise You to not have a Dealer mess with it. They will 100% make it worse and cause other issues.

if that is all that was on it after more than a month you are good. As someone else said the crankcase could be pressurized and pushing oil out rear main seal or the oil pan seal in the rear or the seal may Just leak, but I would not under any circumstances let anyone at a dealership try to fix that.
Sponsored