2019 JL 2-Door Rubicon 2.0L Turbo!

dcwrangler

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Looking at the tracker and reading forum posts, it doesn't seem like many people have a 2-door rubicon with the 2.0L turbo.

Why is it not that popular? Is it the engine? Is it the size? Is it the transmission? What are your reasons for getting this combination?

And lastly, because it is not popular I can barely tell how quickly/slowly people are getting their orders with this combination. If you have one, can you post your order timeline?
Sponsored

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered a 2.0 JLR this week. I think a lot of people prefer the tried and true 3.6. They want the jury to weigh in on the 2.0. They're leery of the eTorque and don't like a 48 volt battery hanging under their Jeep. It's in a waterproof protected case so that doesn't bother me. And besides FCA will fix it under warranty if it has a fault. I've read enough reviews where people like the eTorque assist and the punch the 2.0 delivers. Although the 3.6 has more torque from a stop, the 2.0 delivers more torque over the upper 2/3 of the power band.

I also like the classic look of a 2 door, despite the lack of storage. We don't have to haul kids and hardly use our back seat. I'll flip ours up or take it out. I also like the better breakover angle of the 2 door. I believe the Wrangler sales are about 80% 4 door, 20% 2 door.

K2500Z71

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKR
Regarding popularity, it may have something to do with the cost and the fact that you can’t get a manual with it. Two door buyers are more likely than four door buyers to want a manual (I forget what the projected mix is). The price spread between a V6 manual and 2.0 auto is about 3 grand (1k for the engine, 2k for the required auto)

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
It's quite the opposite when it comes to dealer inventory - atleast in the large dealership here.
They had eight 2 Dr Rubicons , ALL of them with 2.0 Turbo.

OP
OP
dcwrangler

dcwrangler

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
It's quite the opposite when it comes to dealer inventory - atleast in the large dealership here.
They had eight 2 Dr Rubicons , ALL of them with 2.0 Turbo.
That makes sense if 2-doors and 2.0L turbos are less popular, those will be the ones that are left on the dealer lots.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dcwrangler

dcwrangler

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I just ordered a 2.0 JLR this week. I think a lot of people prefer the tried and true 3.6. They want the jury to weigh in on the 2.0. They're leery of the eTorque and don't like a 48 volt battery hanging under their Jeep. It's in a waterproof protected case so that doesn't bother me. And besides FCA will fix it under warranty if it has a fault. I've read enough reviews where people like the eTorque assist and the punch the 2.0 delivers. Although the 3.6 has more torque from a stop, the 2.0 delivers more torque over the upper 2/3 of the power band.

I also like the classic look of a 2 door, despite the lack of storage. We don't have to haul kids and hardly use our back seat. I'll flip ours up or take it out. I also like the better breakover angle of the 2 door. I believe the Wrangler sales are about 80% 4 door, 20% 2 door.
I'm hoping the 2.0L won't get too problematic down the line, especially after warranty. I know the resale will be higher for the 3.6 but I plan on keeping mine for a long time. I had the 4cyl TJ and I always regretted not getting the 4.0L V6. I guess I'm good at picking the less popular engine.

I agree the 2-door is more jeep like. We don't have any kids yet and was debating about getting a 4-door for future planning but my wife convinced me this will be my daily for now and 5 years from now it will be my not so practical car and the kids can ride in her car.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
That makes sense if 2-doors and 2.0L turbos are less popular, those will be the ones that are left on the dealer lots.
This is probably true for the 2/8 that are 2018's. But for 2019's all they ever had in 2Dr Rubi trim came with 2.0. Looks like Jeep wants more and more people to move to this engine.

K2500Z71

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKR
This is probably true for the 2/8 that are 2018's. But for 2019's all they ever had in 2Dr Rubi trim came with 2.0. Looks like Jeep wants more and more people to move to this engine.
Yes because it helps their CAFE rating which is sales weighted.

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes because it helps their CAFE rating which is sales weighted.
Perhaps my build will go lightning fast then. Until it hits the 4+ weeks delivery!

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
I test drove both and didn’t know they had different engines until I asked the salesman why one was quicker than the other. Guess what, the 3.6 felt way quicker and more responsive to me. So, I ordered a 2dr rubicon with the 3.6

Sponsored

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Exact opposite for me. I knew which engine I was trying. Accelerating from a stoplight both seemed equal. However I felt that the 2.0 pulled stronger accelerating from 30 to 50. I guess everyone's butt dyno is different.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Perhaps my build will go lightning fast then. Until it hits the 4+ weeks delivery!
2-door Rubi 2l here. Enjoy it greatly, no regrets, and yes...mine went from order to delivery in a month.

Why I Decided on 2 door, Rubicon, 2.0l--I had a manual 3.6 in my JKU Sport before, and it lacked power with lift and larger tires....and it felt too big for a Jeep to me (had a TJ before that with a 4.0, like it much better than the 3.6). I realize the 3.6 for the JL is quite different, and the Rubi gear ratio makes a huge difference, but my personal experience certainly impacted me. I run the 2.0 auto with 37" tires, feel like it had really good performance on road and off. Just my opinion.

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Yep. I think that the 2.0 is quicker , but I couldn’t tell

OP
OP
dcwrangler

dcwrangler

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
2-door Rubi 2l here. Enjoy it greatly, no regrets, and yes...mine went from order to delivery in a month.

Why I Decided on 2 door, Rubicon, 2.0l--I had a manual 3.6 in my JKU Sport before, and it lacked power with lift and larger tires....and it felt too big for a Jeep to me (had a TJ before that with a 4.0, like it much better than the 3.6). I realize the 3.6 for the JL is quite different, and the Rubi gear ratio makes a huge difference, but my personal experience certainly impacted me. I run the 2.0 auto with 37" tires, feel like it had really good performance on road and off. Just my opinion.
Order to delivery in a month! Thats good to hear. What other options did you select?

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Order to delivery in a month! Thats good to hear. What other options did you select?
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 door
2.0l 4 cyl turbo
8 speed automatic
8.4" touch screen Infotainment system, Nav, Alpine stereo system w subwoofer
Remote start system

Everything else via mod. LOL
Sponsored