Sponsored

2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara fixable or Total loss???

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
This is incorrect. Just because you hit someone from behind doesn't mean you're automatically at fault in the eyes of the law, or insurance. Generally it was your fault, but not all the time.

I hit a lady from behind in my 79' CJ-7. I offered for her to just pay me $100 to get the bumper replaced (just the U shaped metal got bent a little), but she refused and called the police. The cop cited her and she argued with him that I should be at fault because I hit her from behind, but she pulled out right in front of me and there was no way to avoid hitting her without crossing into oncoming traffic. Her insurance company accepted full responsibility as well.
Unsafe merge or lane change is not the same as rear ending someone traveling the same direction as you. If the person is in their lane of travel and stops, be it to make a right turn, because a dog ran out in the street, traffic ahead of them, or they hallucinated a stop sign in front of them, you are at fault if you rear end them period. Short of the vehicle in front reversing (no longer in the same direction of travel) the vehicle in the rear is at fault. In a case like this, the Jeep in the middle will be at fault for the vehicles he hit, but the OP is at fault for hitting him. Who is the OP trying to blame for the accident if it “wasn’t his fault”? Mother Nature for the rain? Jeep for not putting more hydroplane resistant tires on his vehicle? The people in front who were stopped in their lane?

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
If I get the OPs description right: There was an accident and the person in front of him didn't stop in time and ran into the back of the accident. then the OP didn't stop in time and ran into the back of that vehicle (GatorMom). If that is the case then the OP should be liable at least for the damage to the rear of GatorMom's Jeep. Apparently there were no injuries. Op has apparently already retained an attorney, which is unfortunate because this is a pretty simple claim and now, assuming the attorney was hired on contingency, the OP's claim will be the amount of damage to his vehicle plus the amount of damage to GatorMom's vehicle and possible any rental vehicle costs. The attorney will take anywhere from 30-60% of that total claim. Out of what's left after that the OP will have to pay his deductible plus the cost of GatorMom's repairs and his on repairs or replacement of a vehicle. Example: Total claim is $60,000, $50,000 for OP's Jeep and $10,000 for GatorMom's rear end. Lawyer takes 40%. OP has $36,000 left. Now he pays for GatorMom and has $26,000 left. If he has a $500 deductible that leaves him $25,500 to replace his Jeep. The lawyer got $24,000 to send a letter to the insurance company and accept the settlement.

I always tell people to work with insurance first and then, if you just can't reach an agreement, talk to a lawyer if you have to.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Essentially the same opinions as in forum posts #9, 33, 40, 65, 71, 81, 84, 87, 90, 102 and 111, but with legal fees stapled on to it.
Yep, gatormom's insurance would have taken responsibility for her at fault accident, and op's would have taken responsibility for his. Now the attorney will get paid for doing nothing out of what would have been the same settlement regardless.

Sponsored

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
I agree with Killed by Death. There is never an absolute or always.

I stopped at a traffic light at the end of a string of cars also stopped. The person behind me did not stop in time and shoved me forward. The person behind the one that hit me also did not stop in time, they hit the guy behind me who then hit me again and pushed me into the guy in front of me. I was not at fault even though I hit someone from behind that was in the same lane as me and traveling the same direction as me.

Another instance could be that the vehicle in front of you suddenly spilled oil or something onto the road just before hitting their brakes. You were driving appropriately for the conditions for the road, visibility and your vehicles condition but because of the oil you could not stop before hitting them.

Weird case obviously but still goes to show that there is no absolute.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
To the OP

I hope this doesn't come across wrong, but is your favorite color moron? It's kinda a dark brownish-red, but with more stupid?

B.Young

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Training Team Lead
to OP,

when people are claiming you are at fault... this statement is true. you are at fault for your part in the accident. However, no one claimed that you did it on purpose or with the intent to hit the person if front of you or even that you are a bad driver. Stop taking it as tho they are.

the statement of "at fault" is on you. you didnt "cause the accident" but you did in fact rear end a vehicle so for that part you are at fault. you can blame it on road conditions and that you just didnt have enough time to stop but again thats your fault for not allowing more space given the conditions.

just trying to clear the air a bit. Hope everything works out for you tho and glad no one was seriously injured

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara fixable or Total loss??? 1631907107075
10/31/21 class. Please RSVP 1/800/JeepYou. 10% off your Insurance.

Sponsored

Eandras

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler unlimited Sport S Black
So how is it my fault when the car in front slammed on there brakes and had already crashed into the car In front of it literally there was nothing I could have done I got scared and did the only thing I could have thought of and that was slamming on the brakes lesson here is don’t be an asshole to people because you weren’t there you didn’t see what happened I in fact have a witness that was in the car with me so I know what happened I am not making excuses your just being a damn douchebag for no reason.
All I know if you are in an "at fault" state for insurance accident claims you will be responsible for 100% of the driver that you hit and most likely 50% for the driver he hit. The Insurance investigator / adjuster will show that when you hit the vehicle in front of you that did additional damage to the vehicle in front of the vehicle that you hit. It is based on the total lost. Expect your insurance premium to go up significantly based on the loss. Figure if your car is totaled it is worth at least 38K the jeep you hit is 40K and depends on the damage that the other car can claim say 20K your insurance is on the hook for yours, 40 K for the damage you cause plus 10K for the other vehicle. Although those are rough numbers and guesses. Now if the driver that you hit gets it fixed he is also allowed to claim a future loss of future sale value he can request a percentage of the pre accident value based on what he could have received if the vehicle was not in an accident. In some cases that could be in excess of 25%. We all know how the Jeep Wrangler holds their value.

You also stated that you would not let them fix it as you will have future issues. This is not your choice. The insurance makes that decision.

Best solution to this situation is to pay attention for action few cars in front of you, don't tailgate, and don't speed. If you hit me from behind you would have received citations for the following offenses that I would have had a a Police Officer issue when they arrived on scene. Careless Driving, Reckless driving, Operating a vehicle in an unsafe manner, and finally tailgating. All of these are provable based on the statement you made and the results of the accident.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Utterly speechless how some (I admit, usually the vocal minority) Jeepers (people) treat other Jeepers (people).

To the OP, don't let the Donkeys bait you. Ignore their posts. Don't respond to them, like I won't respond to the Donkeys who will try to bait me on this post.

Just know that most of us who read your original post feel bad for you, as accidents happen to the best of us. We are happy that everybody seems to be ok.

To answer your question on the original post, I have no idea.

OP
OP

Colombian Guy09

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Utterly speechless how some (I admit, usually the vocal minority) Jeepers (people) treat other Jeepers (people).

To the OP, don't let the Donkeys bait you. Ignore their posts. Don't respond to them, like I won't respond to the Donkeys who will try to bait me on this post.

Just know that most of us who read your original post feel bad for you, as accidents happen to the best of us. We are happy that everybody seems to be ok.

To answer your question on the original post, I have no idea.
Thank you for your opinion I have to wait till Monday because they are super busy they told me today so it’s all patience and waiting for now

OP
OP

Colombian Guy09

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully it was totaled. It'll never be the same and will probably have new issues. once it's repaired. Its a Jeep, they're literally everywhere. Just get a new one.
Yea exactly even if they tell me it’s repairable I’m gonna tell them to total it because I’m not taking it back

OP
OP

Colombian Guy09

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea exactly even if they tell me it’s repairable I’m gonna tell them to total it because I’m not taking it back
@BigGreen if they repair it which I doubt they will I’m just gonna trade it in and buy a new one
Sponsored