Sponsored

2019 Jeep Wrangler Ordering Shows 3.0L CRD Diesel V6 (w/Manual Transmission?) and 3.6L BSG Engines!

Yoodie

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLUR Mojito!
Is 25R available to order yet, anywhere?
Wasn’t in the October Order Guide update. Next update would be immediately prior to November allocation opening; somewhere around the 5th of November or so.
Sponsored

Se7enrex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s2000, 4runner
I spoke with a Denver Jeep dealer as I have been a royal PITA hounding all of the local dealers to speak with their reps about the 3.6 WITH BSG potential 25R option and was told that they spoke with their FCA rep for the region and it was definitively decided that that 3.6 with BSG is NOT going to happen. (I wanted it to). The reason the General Manager gave me was that they do plan to discontinue the 3.6 soon and that they were not going to be developing the platform further for the Jeep specifically. This info came on the heels of me telling them I would be there tomorrow to place my order if they tell me when its available to order and that I was only interested in that option.

Hazaa

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK 2dr Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
I spoke with a Denver Jeep dealer as I have been a royal PITA hounding all of the local dealers to speak with their reps about the 3.6 WITH BSG potential 25R option and was told that they spoke with their FCA rep for the region and it was definitively decided that that 3.6 with BSG is NOT going to happen. (I wanted it to). The reason the General Manager gave me was that they do plan to discontinue the 3.6 soon and that they were not going to be developing the platform further for the Jeep specifically. This info came on the heels of me telling them I would be there tomorrow to place my order if they tell me when its available to order and that I was only interested in that option.
But it already did.... The Ram V6 is only BSG. And the closed order codes are not for the 3.6 BSG, its for the base v6 with an auto. This means they will likely go the way Ram did, and if you want a auto V6 it is BSG in anything more than a a sport.

DONT LISTEN TO DEALERSHIPS they will tell you whatever they need to sell you a vehicle and they generally know less about what is coming up than the general public. The dealership and managers dont want sales people to focus on anything except what they have on the lot or what is coming in the that week. I know because I used to sell cars. The people who know the most about what is changing and what is coming soon are the Service Leads Mangers. They tend to be told so they can be ready to repair vehicle or send techs out for training.

Yes they are replacing the 3.6 v6 in the next few years but they still try to squeeze every bit of MPG and power from it until then, if they dont they will fall behind with an outdated engine build.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
We’re all guessing at this point , but It seems to me that jeep will make BSG optional in 2019 as they slowly introduce it and they will add an up charge on there as well. I think the 3.6 with BSG will become standard when the JL pickup truck goes in the production as that will have the BSG a standard also.
The official jeep powertrain timeline we’ve all seen said for 2019 carryover powertrains plus the addition of 3.6 BSG it didn’t mention anything about discontinuing anything.

Sponsored

Hazaa

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We’re all guessing at this point , but It seems to me that jeep will make BSG optional in 2019 as they slowly introduce it and they will add an up charge on there as well. I think the 3.6 with BSG will become standard when the JL pickup truck goes in the production as that will have the BSG a standard also.
The official jeep powertrain timeline we’ve all seen said for 2019 carryover powertrains plus the addition of 3.6 BSG it didn’t mention anything about discontinuing anything.
The 3.6 non bsg will go away when the next base engine comes out out, likely the straight 6 in development. But what i can see them doing is making the BSG the standard engine paired with 8spd auto on anything higher than the Sport S. I can see them keeping the base 3.6 as standard for the Sport and Sport S to lower base price. Just like the how the manual is only available with 3.6 base, it keeps things simple and price brackets structured.

This is not some whim or guess, FCA is going all in on the PHEV and EV lines. They are late to the game with it, but they are making full strides for it. They already announced discontinuing certain Diesel lines in Europe. They just announced a PHEV Renegade for 2020, and have previously announced PHEV for Wrangler and RAM with full electric versions to follow. The BSG is a stepping stone, the electric motors will get bigger and the fuel engines smaller. It is the future, it wont happen tomorrow, but before 2030 we will have an all electric or gas generator electric drive(like locomotive engine) Wrangler. And to be honest I cannot wait, electric engine drivetrains are in every way better for what we want from a Wrangler. And since I am not a engineer I cannot tell you how they will fix all of your "issues: with electronics, but I can say the shit wont stop with evolving with the 3.6 w/manual.

Last edited:

Nolegsinmiami

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler unlimited willys
Wasn’t in the October Order Guide update. Next update would be immediately prior to November allocation opening; somewhere around the 5th of November or so.
Does that mean the 24R (3.6V standard with Auto) will be available to order again in November?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Does that mean the 24R (3.6V standard with Auto) will be available to order again in November?
I ordered a 24R Rubicon on October 16, but it does show restricted, the same as the steel bumpers. And I don't think the steel bumpers are going away either. Dealer didn't seem concerned. Of course I only have an order, not an actual Jeep.

baysta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I spoke with Kent over at Petersen in Idaho and he said that his rep told him yesterday that the V6 BSG hasn't been approved by the EPA? or something, and is not expected to be available until after the diesel debuts, along with the JT. Something doesn't add up here, given that the V6+BSG is available on the Ram.

I've been holding out on ordering because the Jeep is going to be my daily driver as well, and it would be nice to squeeze a couple more MPGs in the city. I'm hoping that everyone is just misinformed and that it becomes available to order next month as expected.

Sponsored

N75

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
I spoke with Kent over at Petersen in Idaho and he said that his rep told him yesterday that the V6 BSG hasn't been approved by the EPA? or something, and is not expected to be available until after the diesel debuts, along with the JT. Something doesn't add up here, given that the V6+BSG is available on the Ram.

I've been holding out on ordering because the Jeep is going to be my daily driver as well, and it would be nice to squeeze a couple more MPGs in the city. I'm hoping that everyone is just misinformed and that it becomes available to order next month as expected.
Every powertrain combination needs to be EPA certified in every chassis. This is one of the main reasons we see very limited engines/transmission/AWD choices in European cars compared to their home market. It's expensive to offer lots of options.

I would guess that the V6 BSG in the Ram (both cab sizes, not sure if bed length also gets tested?) was certified, but that same power plant/transmission combo in a Wrangler hasn't passed yet for whatever reason. Almost wouldn't surprise me if the RAM gets better fuel economy from aerodynamics even though there's more weight - total armchair engineering - maybe they just haven't tuned to the acceptable MPG yet?

There are also fleet averages (CAFE standards I think) that Jeep has to balance to meet federal regulation.

Se7enrex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s2000, 4runner

That's essentially what I had heard, and like you, I really want the 3.6 with BSG. BUT, it sounds like we may not be blessed, at least anytime soon with that option.

Hazaa

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's essentially what I had heard, and like you, I really want the 3.6 with BSG. BUT, it sounds like we may not be blessed, at least anytime soon with that option.
I honestly would be floored if the BSG doesnt actually come out or is delayed for to long. Same with the 3.0, these engines would almost double the wranglers fleet mpg.

I am just as hyped as you are, i was just reading another threadstarted by an engine builder. He was talking they will be starting manufacturer ing these engines in the next month or for production, he also said they need to catch up with 2018 build outs and factory vehicle repairs.

The LA autoshow is a montj and a half away, i expect to hear about all of this plus oreder code 22 and the JT. The engine builder also expect see or be able to order the PHEV around summer 2019.

Edit:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/update-2019-jeep-wrangler-jl-model.15600/
That is the thread i am refering to

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
If no details on 22 or the JT come out of LA auto show, I may just say screw it and keep my JK for another year or two. Hopefully by then, jeep figures out what the heck they actually plan on doing.

Se7enrex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s2000, 4runner
I hate this. I want one, but with this roller coaster ride of details (or lack there of) I am going to just sit and wait to see what the heck is going on. By then the Bronco may come out or the 2020 4runner and offer some real competition, maybe... I get it, but its frustrating. I want to go order one but I am not spending $50K on a Jeep just to have the one I want come out months after. Bahhhhh
Sponsored