Sponsored

2019 Jeep Wrangler Ordering Shows 3.0L CRD Diesel V6 (w/Manual Transmission?) and 3.6L BSG Engines!

NHJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 CJ5
I was holding out for the diesel until I heard from my dealer is was bumped out at least a year, and then two separate manufacturers reps for FCA that said it likely will never happen at all. Second two guys had nothing to personally gain by calling the Wrangler diesel an "urban legend", so I placed the order for a JLUR 3.6 last week. Order accepted and VIN already in. In D status as of this AM, and Jeep rep told me it could be up to 45 days before it moves to the next step.

Had my heart set on a diesel, but not worth waiting for something that might never materialize.
Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
my take on BSG. .. i dont want it, i dont want a battery which caused fires in the past underneath my jeep. i dont want the 48 volt battery at all and i dont want this mailbox looking thing attached to the front of my motor.. my plans are to order a 2 door rubicon base with 6 speed. bsg being added might be the straw that breaks the camels back for me. below is picture of bsg mailbox on a hemi (i think thats a hemi). this stuff has its place and im all for it in its place. i actually think the prius is a cool car for what it is. but a jeep needs to be simpler.

RAM-Mild-Hybrid-eTorque.jpg
The current 3.6 is pretty far from simple, especially with the mandatory ESS dual battery system. Fuel system failures cause far more car fires than battery failures do. Simplicity would be nice (a full electric drivetrain, actually, is far more mechanically simple than an internal combustion system), but if you're going to throw ESS on the engine with its 2 batteries, then I'd rather go all the way and do BSG. Unfortunately, these are all just the incremental steps in phasing out IC engines altogether, or at least limiting them to simply generator functionality. If the world went hybrid/electric in a day our heads would explode. Do it over a generation and it becomes an easier pill to swallow. There's almost nothing about the modern engine that is aesthetically pleasing anyway, so why not bolt on another box and cover it all with thermoplastic...

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
The 3.6 with BSG has many extra cooling lines that are not pictured there on the 5.7 version. The problem with this BSG will be that it will evolve very quickly this will be an intermittent step and become outdated and complicated to work on , get parts for in a short period of time.

JLUR_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Camaro ZL1 1LE
This is going nowhere
Will there be a 2019 Jeep Wrangler with a diesel engine and a manual transmission?
Neither CARB nor the EPA have certified the diesel engine for the Wrangler yet. My guess is that we get it halfway thru MY19 but without the manual trans.

Sponsored

Hazaa

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK 2dr Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
This is going nowhere
Will there be a 2019 Jeep Wrangler with a diesel engine and a manual transmission?
The 3.0 diesel will not get a manual. The 6spd cannot not handle it, and a RAM manual is too big.

I am pretty sure FCA said if you want a manual you are stuck with 3.6 gas and that is it for manual/engine combos. So no 3.0/manual, no 2.0/manual, no 3.6 BSG/manual.

Right now the only chance of getting a diesel manual is if they bring the 2.2 diesel from Europe over. But i doubt that based on the order code 22. It also only looks like one engine/trans combo, which would lead me to believe an automatic.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Unfortunately, these are all just the incremental steps in phasing out IC engines altogether, or at least limiting them to simply generator functionality. If the world went hybrid/electric in a day our heads would explode. Do it over a generation and it becomes an easier pill to swallow. There's almost nothing about the modern engine that is aesthetically pleasing anyway, so why not bolt on another box and cover it all with thermoplastic...
I doubt it. Look at all the advancement since the year 1900. HUGE advancement in almost every field of life. Yet, one thing still remains the same after 118 years....our cars have cylinders, pistons, and fuel.

There are myriad reasons that I don't have time to get into here why IC engines aren't going anywhere. But the main one is that there isn't anything better. Engineers have been thinking, drawing, trying for a century and there still isn't anything better for mass consumption.

This is going nowhere
No, there'll never been a diesel paired to a manual trans. again in this country. That's true of light duty 4x4s and pickup trucks both. EPA rules and hardware availability won't let it happen.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
The 3.0 diesel will not get a manual. The 6spd cannot not handle it, and a RAM manual is too big.

I am pretty sure FCA said if you want a manual you are stuck with 3.6 gas and that is it for manual/engine combos. So no 3.0/manual, no 2.0/manual, no 3.6 BSG/manual.

Right now the only chance of getting a diesel manual is if they bring the 2.2 diesel from Europe over. But i doubt that based on the order code 22. It also only looks like one engine/trans combo, which would lead me to believe an automatic.
If the diesel doesn't come with a manual, its not because they cant find ones that work. Mopar still sources new Getrag 238s as you can buy a brand new one direct from the dodge/mopar parts catalog.

These are the same manuals that companies and even jeep themselves (easter jeep safari teases) are using behind the 6.4l hemi swapped wranglers and it even leaves enough room to fit in a 2 door as seen by the white 2 door jk rubicon posted by Trail Jeeps a couple weeks ago.

When the rams came out with the ecodiesel, I poured over documents to find a way to swap one into my dakota should I ever come across an otherwise good condition salvage yard ram 1500 with the diesel.

Its more likely that they cant find a good match of emissions and drive style for a manual meaning it will either be dong regens like crazy, or wont meet emissions standards at all.

Hazaa

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK 2dr Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
If the diesel doesn't come with a manual, its not because they cant find ones that work. Mopar still sources new Getrag 238s as you can buy a brand new one direct from the dodge/mopar parts catalog.

These are the same manuals that companies and even jeep themselves (easter jeep safari teases) are using behind the 6.4l hemi swapped wranglers and it even leaves enough room to fit in a 2 door as seen by the white 2 door jk rubicon posted by Trail Jeeps a couple weeks ago.

When the rams came out with the ecodiesel, I poured over documents to find a way to swap one into my dakota should I ever come across an otherwise good condition salvage yard ram 1500 with the diesel.

Its more likely that they cant find a good match of emissions and drive style for a manual meaning it will either be dong regens like crazy, or wont meet emissions standards at all.
The problem the easter jeeps are that they proof of concepts that have many modifications that would not be done well in production vehicles that go through assembly lines. I know they have many 6spds that can handle the power and can fit with the proper modification. But are these modification feasible as production line vehicle or just good for one offs or people who want to do home brews. I mean look at all the people that put hemis in the JKs. I dont see jeep scrambling to through one in themselves. Bottom line is that car companies look at bottom line when producing vehicles.

And I know I am going to catch hell for this, but the new autos with the autostick/select a gear can do almost as well as the manual without the worry of burning up a clutch or grinding gears in a rough spot off road. This is why they continue to reduce the amount of manuals available for engine combinations.

And for those "die hard jeepers" that refuse to think about life without a manual in their hands, remember electric vehicles dont have them. And guess what we are heading towards...

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Actually some companies are starting to consider manual electrics to make the cars more fun. Given the massive torque of an electric a manual may draw more buyers because it would be easier to run than a gas or diesel.

In fact there is already an electric motorcycle for sale that has a 6 speed manual. It was popular enough that when the manufacturer wound down others were looking into purchasing the design.

Victory Impulse electric with 6 speed manual :)

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2016-victory-empulse-tt-review

Sponsored

Nolegsinmiami

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler unlimited willys
UPDATE 9/26/18:

2019MY JL Wrangler Sahara 24G and the Rubicon 24R have been turned off from ordering until further notice.

(No reason provided)
Any ideas when the Sahara 24G and the Rubicon 24R will be turned back on off for ordering? I tried to order one last week and I need an automatic and they could only order a 2.0T.

Silver TT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Cayenne GTS, 23 Raptor 37, 23 M4 Cab, 23 Denali
Any ideas when the Sahara 24G and the Rubicon 24R will be turned back on off for ordering? I tried to order one last week and I need an automatic and they could only order a 2.0T.
This would seem to indicate that in fact the BSG is for real and it is here now. Anyone else have a similar experience or hear from someone who knows anything?

jeepinoutwest

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport, 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere
I really hope my D1 status 3.6 comes through without BSG. I read a lot of posts on this site and some suggest BSG would only work with an automatic. Can anyone confirm this? If so then they can't drop the non-BSG engine.

Yoodie

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLUR Mojito!
I feel like it is a constraint issue; not changeover yet. No hard facts, but I ordered 9/28 and 24R was restricted but I am now D1. Could be just an allocation timing issue. 24R is a popular build and does seem to go red each allocation pretty quick. Not sure it wouldn’t allow the order though.

baysta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Is 25R available to order yet, anywhere?
Sponsored