Sponsored

2019 Jeep Wrangler Ordering Shows 3.0L CRD Diesel V6 (w/Manual Transmission?) and 3.6L BSG Engines!

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
If the diesel holds it value better than down the road you get better. It’s not just about gas prices. Plus there are many quantative and qualituve reasons to acquire a diesel Jeep.

Fact I live in hurricane alley alone makes this option almost necessary. Less likely to not find fuel prior to or after s storm.

I’m of the belief it will benefit running on 37s. Still trying to confirm that.

400 plus torque probably enough for most to go get one. :)
Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
The price of diesel alone negates the added MPG advantage here in Michigan. Gas is $2.92 and diesel is currently $3.23. It’s almost always $.30-.40 more per gallon. I’m saving $7-10 per tank. That’s approximately 165,000 miles of driving before the saving pay for themselves. And that’s contingent that I keep it that long, and it doesn’t break in that time (given all the info we have here on these engines). But to have a diesel in Wrangler would be amazing. I’ll probably wait a year and goto school on these early adopters.
Roughly a 10% difference. If the mpg is at least 10% better that argument goes out the window.

Without knowing the upcharge for the diesel it's hard to factor that into a decision. $2500, maybe, $5000, well, now you've put the MSRP of a well equipped diesel Rubicon north of $60k. That will be a tough pill to swallow for even the most devoted Jeep fan.

The torque, now that should be of interest to anyone that will tow something or those of you contemplating 37" (or bigger) tires. The higher efficiency might also make the hit taken to mpg with lifts and big tires something you could live with.

As for resale, a bad service history would kill it, but if proven to be a good engine over time most of the up front hit should come back to you.

djnemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Do you all think the 3.6L BSG will match the 2.0 Turbo in mpg? If mpg is similar, I am less inclined to spend the extra $1k on the 2.0 for minimal performance benefits and potential reliability concerns.

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Do you all think the 3.6L BSG will match the 2.0 Turbo in mpg? If mpg is similar, I am less inclined to spend the extra $1k on the 2.0 for minimal performance benefits and potential reliability concerns.
I'd like to know this as well, and am generally wanting to know more about this non-diesel, alternative engine type. I'm placing an order with the 2.0, but mostly because of mpg. If there other engine type gets similar mpg, costs less, and runs better off regular gas, that would be a benefit.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder what that Diesel will set one back at. Have never had a diesel where you had to put DEF in though. Does that fluid last a while?
I hear that you refill about every oil change.

Sponsored

JLUfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon
3.6 BSG in Ram 1500 2WD EPA 20/25 with 22 combined. This compares with 17/25, 20 combined without BSG for the 2018 model.

For reference, the EPA On the JLU is 18/23 20 combined for the 3.6, obviously without BSG. I would expect the city component will improve and the highway component will remain unchanged, perhaps something like 20/23 and 21 or 22 combined. The turbo is 22/24 22 combined, already with BSG.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Was at dealer today checking on my order. The only jl with bsg available for order is the 2.0 deisel. Nothing fornthe 3.6l yet. Also the gm expect it to be priced similarly to the ram with bsg option. So about $2500 extra for it.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Was at dealer today checking on my order. The only jl with bsg available for order is the 2.0 deisel. Nothing fornthe 3.6l yet. Also the gm expect it to be priced similarly to the ram with bsg option. So about $2500 extra for it.
2.0 diesel? For the US?

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Yes you can order the 2.0 turbo deisel with bsg today according to my gm. I saw it on his screen.
The 2.0L is a Turbo Gasoline engine.

The Diesel is a 3.0L.

I think you're getting mixed up.

Sponsored

flyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 370z, 2005 Dodge 2500 CTD, 2014 Impreza, 2008 Escape, 2003 Pathfinder
Wow, I'm hoping the order code is a manual; with the diesel or the 2.0t. It's win/win in my book if either or both show up with a manual.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Depends on what you want, a JL or JLU? I think the mpg for the larger 4-door JLU is very close for the 2 engines. The 2-door JL 2.0 gets about 10% better MPG then the 3.6. The 2.0 should run premium which cost more so it would be a wash for most people.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Wow, I'm hoping the order code is a manual; with the diesel or the 2.0t. It's win/win in my book if either or both show up with a manual.
The reasonable conclusion is that the unidentified code is 3.6 BSG+6mt. Don't know why people keep assuming it's the diesel or 2L.